The 'NX' is Nintendo's next-gen console

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

outdated_gamer

Re: The 'NX' is Nintendo's next-gen console

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri May 20, 2016 12:45 pm

What I'm wondering is whether they will make the handheld and the stationary home unit somehow cross-compatible. The biggest competition for the Wii U this gen was actually - 3DS. Yes a strange statement, but considering most of what is available on the Wii U is in some form also available on the cheaper 3DS, many people seemingly just went for the handheld and called it a day. Going by the current rumours, Nintendo might have made a good deal with Nvidia for their new handheld unit, but if they go with AMD on their stationary unit, how will they interconnect? Could the stationary unit be seen as redundant as it, judging by the rumours, won't match the rival systems from Sony and MS? If so, we could be looking at another Wii U/3DS scenario, where the handheld "cannibalized" the home unit sales to a certain extent. It's no secret that Nintendo has had a far better business with their handhelds in the last few years, bar the Wii which is considered a "anomaly" by many now due to it's huge appeal to non-gamers when it was still the "hot thing".

Anyway, bring on a new Space World and reveal the thing already. :wink:

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri May 20, 2016 6:02 pm

I still think a hybrid platform would be a great idea. In the past, Nintendo handhelds have lagged behind their living room equivalents by a generation or two in terms of the gameplay and graphics they can offer, but that's not really been the case with the Wii U and the 3DS. I don't think that makes the home console side of things entirely superfluous; the Wii U has offered great local multiplayer games that the 3DS simply couldn't, so I'd think they should try and keep their hand in. They needn't necessarily use exactly the same chips either; they'd just need something sufficiently compatible, while the home console version could offer better graphics for any developers who wish to support it that way. With Sony already seemingly headed in the direction of a two-tier console, and Nintendo already having done something similar with the New 3DS, that shouldn't be ruled out.

So far as AMD vs Nvidia goes, AMD could certainly offer the best chip from a home console perspective. Binary compatibility with the PS4 and XB1 would make third party ports a relative doddle and, with newer tech on offer, Nintendo wouldn't have to break the bank to offer a more powerful base model. That said, AMD's mobile chips aren't great; the Carizzo-L draws as much power as a Tegra X1 but has less than a quarter of the graphical processing power, and the gap only widens when you look at cheaper and more power efficient models which, let's face it, Nintendo always seem to go for. Also, with Tegra supporting all the major cross platform engines - including Unreal 4 and CryEngine, which the Wii U initially missed out on - binary compatibility might not be such an issue. If only there was a more powerful Tegra for the home console version; I suppose there might be by the time the NX launches, but again there's little chance of Nintendo actually using it going by their usual practices.

That said, even if they're using last year's tech with Tegra, you'd still be looking at a pretty powerful platform that's way ahead of anything handheld - bar the Shield tablet - and the Wii U.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri May 20, 2016 6:26 pm

Matt_B wrote:I still think a hybrid platform would be a great idea. In the past, Nintendo handhelds have lagged behind their living room equivalents by a generation or two in terms of the gameplay and graphics they can offer, but that's not really been the case with the Wii U and the 3DS. I don't think that makes the home console side of things entirely superfluous; the Wii U has offered great local multiplayer games that the 3DS simply couldn't, so I'd think they should try and keep their hand in. They needn't necessarily use exactly the same chips either; they'd just need something sufficiently compatible, while the home console version could offer better graphics for any developers who wish to support it that way. With Sony already seemingly headed in the direction of a two-tier console, and Nintendo already having done something similar with the New 3DS, that shouldn't be ruled out.

So far as AMD vs Nvidia goes, AMD could certainly offer the best chip from a home console perspective. Binary compatibility with the PS4 and XB1 would make third party ports a relative doddle and, with newer tech on offer, Nintendo wouldn't have to break the bank to offer a more powerful base model. That said, AMD's mobile chips aren't great; the Carizzo-L draws as much power as a Tegra X1 but has less than a quarter of the graphical processing power, and the gap only widens when you look at cheaper and more power efficient models which, let's face it, Nintendo always seem to go for. Also, with Tegra supporting all the major cross platform engines - including Unreal 4 and CryEngine, which the Wii U initially missed out on - binary compatibility might not be such an issue. If only there was a more powerful Tegra for the home console version; I suppose there might be by the time the NX launches, but again there's little chance of Nintendo actually using it going by their usual practices.

That said, even if they're using last year's tech with Tegra, you'd still be looking at a pretty powerful platform that's way ahead of anything handheld - bar the Shield tablet - and the Wii U.
Well I think the Wii U is the better gaming machine than the 3DS in basically every aspect outside of portability and the glassless 3D effect (considered a gimmick by some but can enhance the experience since the 3D graphics don't look so flat). But if they had a relatively high-powered handheld with a good screen then yeah, it would kinda make the stationary unit look unnecessary.

The "hybrid" concept could work if both, the handheld and the stationary unit would complement each other in a meaningful way so that people would be compelled to use or get both to receive the "full" experience. How exactly that could be pulled off, I don't know, but we'll certainly see what they've come up with in due time.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun May 22, 2016 1:42 am

outdated_gamer wrote:Well I think the Wii U is the better gaming machine than the 3DS in basically every aspect outside of portability and the glassless 3D effect (considered a gimmick by some but can enhance the experience since the 3D graphics don't look so flat). But if they had a relatively high-powered handheld with a good screen then yeah, it would kinda make the stationary unit look unnecessary.
If you're looking at them from the perspective of specs and screenshots, as someone who's never spent much time on either would, you might think so; however, when it comes to actually playing the games there's really not a lot in it. Anyway, give the handheld HD graphics and even the screenshots will be looking much the same.
The "hybrid" concept could work if both, the handheld and the stationary unit would complement each other in a meaningful way so that people would be compelled to use or get both to receive the "full" experience. How exactly that could be pulled off, I don't know, but we'll certainly see what they've come up with in due time.
I don't think they'd need to do anything particularly special to make them complementary. Some people prefer a handheld while others would prefer to play on the TV screen, and the latter also lends itself to local multiplayer. Still, I'm sure Nintendo will have a gimmick too, so fingers crossed on that.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sun May 22, 2016 4:46 am

outdated_gamer wrote: But I have to say that all the rumours about this upcomming system are all very confusing, which is, imo, not a too good sign.
I think the confusion has been a deliberate plot by Nintendo to keep people interested in the NX.

The 2 sets of supposed system specs that have been "leaked" by developers are wildly different, which surely points to someone telling a few lies somewhere quite possibly at Nintendos request.

I'm betting on something with a similar amount of power to the PS4, but launching at a £200/$200 price point taking advantage of the core components being cheaper than they were 3-4 years ago when Sony began fabrication of the PS4 units.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun May 22, 2016 5:22 am

Yeah, there's nothing to distinguish rumour from mere speculation so far, as Nintendo have said nothing.

For all we know it could be the Virtual Boy mark 2.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon May 23, 2016 7:19 am

Matt_B wrote:Yeah, there's nothing to distinguish rumour from mere speculation so far, as Nintendo have said nothing.

For all we know it could be the Virtual Boy mark 2.
The dream we all dream - fingers crossed!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:06 pm

Well it's basically confirmed now - NX won't be a powerhouse of any sorts:

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/06/16/r ... t-content/

They also won't be competing with the upgraded consoles from MS and Sony and joining what they call the "red ocean". This implies another "moderately powered" system with some sort of a "controller innovation". Meanwhile, a new Mario game was confirmed in the works. More news as we get them.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:24 am

Possibly, I think it's safe to say it will be more poweful than the Wii-U, which is really the minimum we can expect. What Reggie says makes sense, discussions about NVIDEA this and AMD that mean nothing to most people, I think content is what appeals to the majority of gamers, what's been missing from Nintendo is the big multiplat franchises and highly publicised 'mature' games, this is a content issue. You couldn't adequately do many 360/PS3 games justice on the Wii, but since then I think the gap in specs will be close enough to have such games on the NX.

They may also see their future in the market as offering a more unique product, as they did with the Wii, DS and 3DS. They may want consumers to buy the NX as though it were a new type of product unique to Nintendo, instead of simply being one of 3 traditional console options.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:26 am

outdated_gamer wrote:Well it's basically confirmed now - NX won't be a powerhouse of any sorts:

https://mynintendonews.com/2016/06/16/r ... t-content/

They also won't be competing with the upgraded consoles from MS and Sony and joining what they call the "red ocean". This implies another "moderately powered" system with some sort of a "controller innovation". Meanwhile, a new Mario game was confirmed in the works. More news as we get them.
IF this is true and the system is under-powered (compared to the competition) I'll certainly be disappointed, but I'll still buy it regardless. I love Nintendo games, imo they're one of the best software developers in the world.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:00 pm

I'm in day one for this with Zelda whatever the system ends up being.

I have a Wii U but I'm sure (hope) it'll look better on the NX.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:20 pm

pratty wrote:Possibly, I think it's safe to say it will be more poweful than the Wii-U, which is really the minimum we can expect. What Reggie says makes sense, discussions about NVIDEA this and AMD that mean nothing to most people, I think content is what appeals to the majority of gamers, what's been missing from Nintendo is the big multiplat franchises and highly publicised 'mature' games, this is a content issue. You couldn't adequately do many 360/PS3 games justice on the Wii, but since then I think the gap in specs will be close enough to have such games on the NX.

They may also see their future in the market as offering a more unique product, as they did with the Wii, DS and 3DS. They may want consumers to buy the NX as though it were a new type of product unique to Nintendo, instead of simply being one of 3 traditional console options.
Well I think pricing will play a major role whether the system will be successful or not. If they go for a low-cost system in the 250-300 bucks range (ideally 200), people would be much more accepting to it than if it retailed at 350-400, assuming they'll be going for Xbox One type of power levels which shouldn't be hard to pull off cheap in the comming year. But yeah, they will have to expand their portfolio of games if they want to appeal to those who aren't just into Mario, Zelda and Pokemon.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:40 pm

So no optical drive. Interesting.

So Nintendo are going to be cartridge again. Mmmm will they be physically the size of 3DS carts or bigger?
Also means no Wii U backwards compatibility.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:40 am

SD cards?

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:40 am

silvergunner wrote:So no optical drive. Interesting.

So Nintendo are going to be cartridge again. Mmmm will they be physically the size of 3DS carts or bigger?
Also means no Wii U backwards compatibility.
For disc games anyway, don't see why Wii U Retail downloads can't run on the thing if the tech is there. They'd be foolish not to offer our downloads again on the NX (Without some painful transfer process like Wii to Wii U, especially after launching a new account system), even if they charge like a 50p/£1 charge per game again.

As for the carts, no doubt like the DS/3DS cards. Maybe it'll be backwards compatible with DS/3DS.... :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.