The 'NX' is Nintendo's next-gen console

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Rayne

Re: The 'NX' is Nintendo's next-gen console

Post by Rayne » Mon May 09, 2016 5:12 pm

killbot wrote:I've said for a while now that the market for AAA games has become unsustainably bloated and expensive. If it were to collapse, leaving the indie boys in pole position...
aaand at that point I quit gaming and go find a real hobby. Indie titles can suck it.

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon May 09, 2016 5:24 pm

Analog wrote:well I dunno about you guys but I am quite enjoying the current rumours going around about the nx at the moment, for once it isn't all doom and gloom...

industry insider by the name of emily rodgers has talked about the software output ,will "blow away the wii u’s software output In a single year"

https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016 ... re-output/
I just hope the hype from rumors doesnt let people down when it is revealed. I mean this IS Nintendo we're talking about here.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon May 09, 2016 6:50 pm

ALK wrote:
Analog wrote:well I dunno about you guys but I am quite enjoying the current rumours going around about the nx at the moment, for once it isn't all doom and gloom...

industry insider by the name of emily rodgers has talked about the software output ,will "blow away the wii u’s software output In a single year"

https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016 ... re-output/
I just hope the hype from rumors doesnt let people down when it is revealed. I mean this IS Nintendo we're talking about here.
Yeah, it could just be the rumoured unified platform between home consoles and handhelds and that would effectively double Nintendo's output when you look at the individual platforms.

Other than that, I suppose they could look to get two or three games from each engine rather than build each new game from the ground up, or perhaps they'd move towards annual refreshes of their big franchises? I do like the fact that you generally only have to buy one game in a series per generation with Nintendo hardware, but when practically everyone else has left that behind there'd be a strong argument that they could too.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon May 09, 2016 7:42 pm

Rayne wrote:
killbot wrote:I've said for a while now that the market for AAA games has become unsustainably bloated and expensive. If it were to collapse, leaving the indie boys in pole position...
aaand at that point I quit gaming and go find a real hobby. Indie titles can suck it.
I suppose indie titles such as Star Citizen, Escape from Tarkov and Kingdom Come: Deliverance don't interest you? :wink:

I'd much rather have a promising indie title than some generic mainstream "AAA" game.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat May 14, 2016 9:25 am

News:

NX might be using ARM architecture, not more powerful than PS4 and XBO (rumour but if true it would be the Wii U all over again if they're going for a non portable system)

NX handheld to use Nvidia Tegra GPU (also rumour but might be true)

Of course we still don't know what the NX actually is and we also won't find out so soon since it won't be presented at this years E3.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat May 14, 2016 10:06 am

outdated_gamer wrote:News:

NX might be using ARM architecture, not more powerful than PS4 and XBO (rumour but if true it would be the Wii U all over again if they're going for a non portable system)
Did anybody actually expect the NX to be more powerful than the PS4 and X-Box One? I don't see why this would be Wii-U all over again. The PS2 did ok for itself being less powerful than the X-Box. If it was more powerful would that suddenly doom Microsoft and Sony? All the NX has to do with regard to power is be competitive and good enough so as not to miss out of the majority of big third party releases, it doesn't have to be the optimum platform. One of the consoles has to be the weakest, and usually when that's the case it's reflected in the price so their is a trade off for the consumer to take into account.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat May 14, 2016 10:36 am

pratty wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:News:

Did anybody actually expect the NX to be more powerful than the PS4 and X-Box One? I don't see why this would be Wii-U all over again. The PS2 did ok for itself being less powerful than the X-Box. If it was more powerful would that suddenly doom Microsoft and Sony? All the NX has to do with regard to power is be competitive and good enough so as not to miss out of the majority of big third party releases, it doesn't have to be the optimum platform. One of the consoles has to be the weakest, and usually when that's the case it's reflected in the price so their is a trade off for the consumer to take into account.
Shouldn't be that hard to achieve, tbh, if they went for AMD Zen CPU paired with a decently powered AMD Polaris GPU and a fair amount of fast RAM (either GDDR5 or HBM). A ARM-based CPU could be a bottleneck again, which, I would have thought, Nintendo might have learned from the Wii U by now which was criticised for it's weak CPU. But if we're talking in the context of a handheld/portable device, ARM would certainly do the job.

PS2, while less capable than the NGC and Xbox, was not exactly a gen behind those two and launched a bit before they came out. The NX is comming out a good three/three and a half years after the PS4 and XBO hit the market and we're questioning whether it will be more powerful than them. imo, this shouldn't even be a thing of discussion, but it is. Furthermore, they will have to deal with the upgraded "PS Neo" and whatever MS might be preparing too, making the gap even bigger. Unless they go for a super cheap system (read: under 200 bucks), I don't see it doing well with such specs, in terms of developer support and gamer adoptation.

Also, this gen has proven that more powerful systems and games with prettier graphics sell better.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat May 14, 2016 12:08 pm

I don't think those specs mean a great deal to the average consumer, they care about price, hard drive space, whether a game looks good or not (which isn't a quantative value), and possibly frame rate in so far as whether any frame rate drop is significant detrimental effect on the gameplay experience. There's more to a successful console than just the tech under the plastic.

The NX will be made to suit Nintendo's needs, the Nintendo aesthetic doesn't require a technological drive for such things as photo realistic detail, their games already look good on the Wii-U. Now obviously the NX needs to meet the needs of third party developers too, but the third party games Nintendo needs will be on the PS4 and X-Box One which aren't going away any time time, so in order to have those games it's not necessary for the NX to be more powerful. If Rockstar can put GTA 5 on the 360 and PS3, I think thay can put it on the NX just fine, it may not be the optimum version of that game but what's important is that it's there and not significantly compromised.

I agree conservative power could be an indication that the NX isn't a straght forward home console, but I don't think the NX has to leading the technological arms race to be competitive, and more to the point for Nintendo profitable.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat May 14, 2016 1:34 pm

pratty wrote:I don't think those specs mean a great deal to the average consumer, they care about price, hard drive space, whether a game looks good or not (which isn't a quantative value), and possibly frame rate in so far as whether any frame rate drop is significant detrimental effect on the gameplay experience. There's more to a successful console than just the tech under the plastic.

The NX will be made to suit Nintendo's needs, the Nintendo aesthetic doesn't require a technological drive for such things as photo realistic detail, their games already look good on the Wii-U. Now obviously the NX needs to meet the needs of third party developers too, but the third party games Nintendo needs will be on the PS4 and X-Box One which aren't going away any time time, so in order to have those games it's not necessary for the NX to be more powerful. If Rockstar can put GTA 5 on the 360 and PS3, I think thay can put it on the NX just fine, it may not be the optimum version of that game but what's important is that it's there and not significantly compromised.

I agree conservative power could be an indication that the NX isn't a straght forward home console, but I don't think the NX has to leading the technological arms race to be competitive, and more to the point for Nintendo profitable.
Well that was kinda already attempted with the Wii U, wasn't it? :wink:

If there is no need for improved specs then they might as well just stick to the Wii U. With only a slight bump in hardware, they can again forget about good 3rd party support, at least as far as the big software houses are concerned. At best, it will get a few late ports from the PS4/XBO, then it will all cool down again once Sony and MS strike with their next-gen machines (or even their updated current ones).

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat May 14, 2016 2:26 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
pratty wrote:I don't think those specs mean a great deal to the average consumer, they care about price, hard drive space, whether a game looks good or not (which isn't a quantative value), and possibly frame rate in so far as whether any frame rate drop is significant detrimental effect on the gameplay experience. There's more to a successful console than just the tech under the plastic.

If there is no need for improved specs then they might as well just stick to the Wii U. With only a slight bump in hardware, they can again forget about good 3rd party support, at least as far as the big software houses are concerned. At best, it will get a few late ports from the PS4/XBO, then it will all cool down again once Sony and MS strike with their next-gen machines (or even their updated current ones).
Are you saying that the only thing wrong with the Wii-U was the specs? As I said the success of a console can be down to a large number of factors, the Wii didn't have the best specs but other factors made it a success. For what the NX may lack in relative power it might make it up elsewhere.

I respectfully suggest you re-read the article you linked to, I think you're reading into things and drawing conclusions that it doesn't actually say. It actually says it will blow away the Wii-U away, and only blowing away the Wii-U doesn't mean the NX won't be around the power of the PS4 or X-Box One, just means it won't be significantly ahead of it. It even pays a compliment to it's "modern" custom chips, just because it says having these doesn't mean that's an indication that they intend to make the most powerful console, doesn't mean they won't, and doesn't mean they will make a significantly weaker one, just that nobody knows and it could go either way.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat May 14, 2016 3:11 pm

pratty wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:

Are you saying that the only thing wrong with the Wii-U was the specs? As I said the success of a console can be down to a large number of factors, the Wii didn't have the best specs but other factors made it a success. For what the NX may lack in relative power it might make it up elsewhere.

I respectfully suggest you re-read the article you linked to, I think you're reading into things and drawing conclusions that it doesn't actually say. It actually says it will blow away the Wii-U away, and only blowing away the Wii-U doesn't mean the NX won't be around the power of the PS4 or X-Box One, just means it won't be significantly ahead of it. It even pays a compliment to it's "modern" custom chips, just because it says having these doesn't mean that's an indication that they intend to make the most powerful console, doesn't mean they won't, and doesn't mean they will make a significantly weaker one, just that nobody knows and it could go either way.
After the comparatively poor reception of the Wii U (which is why they're even making the NX), it would seem somewhat of a gamble to again go with a similar approach, namely somewhat moderate hardware and emphasis on another controller innovation (or "gimmick", what ever).

But I have to say that all the rumours about this upcomming system are all very confusing, which is, imo, not a too good sign.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue May 17, 2016 1:35 pm

NX won't be the successor to Wii U and 3DS

I hope they go for a low-priced semi portable system that won't compete directly with Sony and MS. A "traditional" home console system that would be weaker than XBO and PS4 would get squished just like the Wii U was this generation.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue May 17, 2016 4:40 pm

Who knows what that really means? Maybe just means they don't want people to abandon the Wii-U.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri May 20, 2016 8:54 am

I wish they'd just tell us - save the suspense and the likely disappointment. The waiting has built the thing up so much that unless it's totally revolutionary (MIND POWERED!!) most people are just gonna go "oh...right, ok."
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri May 20, 2016 12:25 pm

Can't imagine it'll be too long after E3 when they spill the beans in a Direct or such, especially if it's meant to be launching in March. They already confirmed the next Pokemon Sun/Moon details for June 3rd, so its looking more like they're just not bothering all that much with the event, not lack of anything...
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.