The 'NX' is Nintendo's next-gen console

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

skodathegreat

Re: The 'NX' is Nintendo's next-gen console

Post by skodathegreat » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:32 pm

I like the Wii U, and it has had as much play time as my XBone, but I really hope they keep it simple for the NX.

The rumours are concerning me a bit if I am honest.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:57 pm

As long as the Wii name is gone, I'll be happy.

Surely, the name 'Revolution' would be as fitting a time as any now. Give a reason to use that name again.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:01 pm

Ironic, as the Wii name dies, I have just discovered what a cracking bit of kit it can be once its rooted, hacked etc. Excellent emulation box. And it means I can finally play the US version of Ghostbusters I bought ages ago. Well worth the wait.
Going Solo...................

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:45 am

The Nintendo NX is confirmed for a global launch in March 2017:

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-new-nx-conso ... 1773312629

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:07 am

... and still nobody's any the wiser as to what it'll be.

It should launch with the new Zelda game though.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:02 am

For a change I say

Hurry the fug up E3

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:03 am

DPrinny wrote:For a change I say

Hurry the fug up E3
There'll be no reveal at E3, apparently. We should see a bit more of Zelda though.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:35 am

SO it launches with one game?

The better not be a MegaDrive in a Action Max shell

But in saying that if it had the Nintendo branding on it fans would lap it up

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:00 am

DPrinny wrote:SO it launches with one game?
That's all they've announced, but something tells me that they'll be filling out the launch line-up a bit between now and March.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:40 am

I'd be very surprised if there isn't a new Splatoon and Mario platformer in development.
Dream launch line up would be Zelda, Splatoon, Super Mario 3D something or other and some third party stuff.
Then, if they could get a Mario Kart and something like a Fire Emblem or Pokemon game out within 12 months things would be looking fairly decent.
We need some new IPs too of course.
None of this seems outside the realms of possibility if they are indeed merging the home console and handheld markets.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:27 am

As long as the new Zelda still comes to the Wii-U...y'know, that device that we showed some faith in and bought? :wink:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:02 pm

Megamixer wrote:As long as the new Zelda still comes to the Wii-U...y'know, that device that we showed some faith in and bought? :wink:
It seems to be their plan that it'll get a simultaneous release on the Wii U and the NX.

However, I've got mixed feelings myself. On the one hand it's better late than never to receive the Zelda game the Wii U was promised, but on the other I wouldn't want to see it gimped by having to run on the older machine if the NX turns out to be a lot more capable. Perhaps the fact that they're planning this is a warning sign that the performance gap between the two won't be that big, even.

Still, whatever happens, I'm guessing that the Wii U will be stone cold dead by Christmas 2017; and five years used to be a good run for a console.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:05 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Megamixer wrote:As long as the new Zelda still comes to the Wii-U...y'know, that device that we showed some faith in and bought? :wink:
It seems to be their plan that it'll get a simultaneous release on the Wii U and the NX.

However, I've got mixed feelings myself. On the one hand it's better late than never to receive the Zelda game the Wii U was promised, but on the other I wouldn't want to see it gimped by having to run on the older machine if the NX turns out to be a lot more capable. Perhaps the fact that they're planning this is a warning sign that the performance gap between the two won't be that big, even.

Still, whatever happens, I'm guessing that the Wii U will be stone cold dead by Christmas 2017; and five years used to be a good run for a console.
Personally I can't see Nintendo putting out a 'crap' version of a game that chugs along at a nasty pace or something. I can see the NX edition perhaps having a bit of extra content or exclusive DLC perhaps.

This time I genuinely can't justify yet another new console so I will have to sit the NX out for the time being which is why I want Wii-U Zelda.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:54 pm

I'd imagine the difference between the 2 versions would be the NX version taking full advantage of whatever the system's gimmick, if it has one, turns out to be as well as a step up in the visuals however more powerful-er the system turns out to be. Maybe even another "mirrored" version of the game like Twilight Princess? :lol:

If they're not going to talk about it at E3....maybe they could reveal the date of the Direct after E3 when they'll go into detail about it?
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:33 pm

To be fair, that teaser trailer (it seems a lifetime ago now) with the fields/hills stretching into the distance looked beautiful enough for me.