The 'NX' is Nintendo's next-gen console

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Laird

Re: The 'NX' is Nintendo's next-gen console

Post by The Laird » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:05 pm

The Atari 8-bit hardware had a number of big advantages over the NES and was released in 1979. The console version of this hardware (the 5200) was released in 1982. The ColecoVision (which used almost identical MSX based hardware as the SG-1000) was also released in 1982. The NES certainly isn't twice as powerful as that either.

That is what I was referring to.

Anyway, back to the topic in hand.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:17 pm

One thing's for sure: whatever the NX turns out to be it'll crap all over Atar's current output. My clock radio craps all over Atari these days. Hell, I bet my digital egg timer does.
What are also-rans like Atari even doing in a thread about actual real and still existing console manufacturers? I just don't know. Maybe my horoscope for today knows? Because that too has more relevance than Atari has nowadays. For real.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:53 pm

Did you even read the last few comments? Judging by that post you clearly didn't. :roll:

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:09 pm

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:25 pm

The Laird wrote:Did you even read the last few comments? Judging by that post you clearly didn't. :roll:
Yes of course. A throwaway remark was made about Nintendo and you piled in with your anti-Nintendo pro-Atari obsession with needless "facts" that nobody gives a toss about in this thread. I think that about sums it up. :D

Then I took the wee out of Atari because, well, they're nothing. They have no place in here. They're just a failed thing of the past. Whereas Nintendo are still very much something and on the verge of releasing new tech and that they may have "failed miserably" to deliver on a motivational soundbite from a company bigwig in the early eighties really doesn't matter one iota however desperately you want it to. :D
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:41 pm

Looks like I was correct then. Thanks for clarifying.

Back to the block list you go.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:46 pm

OK guys, can we leave the silly bickering to children in the playground. Back on topic please before I delete all the rubbish.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:49 pm

I'm interested in Beans' egg timer.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:51 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:I'm interested in Beans' egg timer.
Unless the new Nintendo console turns out to be an Egg Timer, that is not on topic Seph.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:16 pm

Anyway, before all that my point was that Nintendo have form when it comes to delivering a powerful console at a surprisingly low price, the GC being the obvious example. In fact I think I recall that Nintendo were considering a sub-hundred quid launch price for the GC but the retailers revolted as they thought it would cut into their margins and it was upped; that at a time when the competition was retailing for between 200 and 300 pounds. They did it by economising - it didn't play DVDs, it didn't have a built-in modem, it even had a top-loader design so they didn't have to put a motor in the drive. Everything about that console was designed around getting maximum performance for minimum cost. Obviously in later hardware generations they've opted out of the performance arms-race but if the reports are right and they are re-entering it in a big way... then hopefully they've rediscovered the same mojo that powered the GC.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:41 am

killbot wrote: then hopefully they've rediscovered the same mojo that powered the GC.
They'd probably be happy with its weak sales too in lieu of what's happened on Wii U…

I've been absolutely loving my Wii U at the moment (just got Power Tennis and a free Amiibo for £17) but there's no denying it's a mess of a console. Here's hoping they do a better job of getting the message of the NX across to gamers this time around.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:43 am

killbot wrote:Anyway, before all that my point was that Nintendo have form when it comes to delivering a powerful console at a surprisingly low price, the GC being the obvious example. In fact I think I recall that Nintendo were considering a sub-hundred quid launch price for the GC but the retailers revolted as they thought it would cut into their margins and it was upped; that at a time when the competition was retailing for between 200 and 300 pounds. They did it by economising - it didn't play DVDs, it didn't have a built-in modem, it even had a top-loader design so they didn't have to put a motor in the drive. Everything about that console was designed around getting maximum performance for minimum cost. Obviously in later hardware generations they've opted out of the performance arms-race but if the reports are right and they are re-entering it in a big way... then hopefully they've rediscovered the same mojo that powered the GC.
Now that do agree with. The budget/kids/family option is definitely Nintendo's core market and the one they should be aiming at. The Wii U was too over priced for that audience and the awful marketing just made things worse.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:34 am

The Laird wrote:
killbot wrote:probably a hangover from when Yamauchi told them in '83 that he wanted a games console 'twice as powerful as the competition for half the price'.
If that's true then he failed miserably. Because the Famicom/NES was no where near either of those things.
The FC/NES was actually a pretty competent games console for '83. It could do fluid parallax scrolling, high-resolution graphics and could use cartridge game RAM to expand memory or special chips to improve sound. It had a bit slowish main processor and sprite flicker issues but it wasn't bad in comparison to other 8-bit systems at the time. Of course it was improved upon by the likes of Sega Master System, but that was expected. The console's strenght was in software support since it had all the big Japanese and Western developers on board (sans Sega and Atari of course). It just didn't make much of a impact on the European 80s gaming scene which was focused on computers at the time.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:07 am

killbot wrote:Anyway, before all that my point was that Nintendo have form when it comes to delivering a powerful console at a surprisingly low price, the GC being the obvious example. In fact I think I recall that Nintendo were considering a sub-hundred quid launch price for the GC but the retailers revolted as they thought it would cut into their margins and it was upped; that at a time when the competition was retailing for between 200 and 300 pounds. They did it by economising - it didn't play DVDs, it didn't have a built-in modem, it even had a top-loader design so they didn't have to put a motor in the drive. Everything about that console was designed around getting maximum performance for minimum cost. Obviously in later hardware generations they've opted out of the performance arms-race but if the reports are right and they are re-entering it in a big way... then hopefully they've rediscovered the same mojo that powered the GC.
Then again the GC fell behind both, the PS2 and Xbox in sales and support. We could go in-depth what the reasons for that were but I think it's enough if we just conclude that low-cost but capable hardware didn't grant them support and success by itself. They had far more success when they stopped being hardware-competitive and focused on controller "gimmicks". It just didn't pan out this gen, mainly because the "casual" audiences evaporated and/or moved to mobiles.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:25 am

Whatever the NX turns out to be, games need to be easily port-able to it.