The 'NX' is Nintendo's next-gen console

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

pratty

Re: The 'NX' is Nintendo's next-gen console

Post by pratty » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:39 am

Megamixer wrote:
Matt_B wrote:However, I've got mixed feelings myself. On the one hand it's better late than never to receive the Zelda game the Wii U was promised, but on the other I wouldn't want to see it gimped by having to run on the older machine if the NX turns out to be a lot more capable. Perhaps the fact that they're planning this is a warning sign that the performance gap between the two won't be that big, even.
Personally I can't see Nintendo putting out a 'crap' version of a game that chugs along at a nasty pace or something. I can see the NX edition perhaps having a bit of extra content or exclusive DLC perhaps.
Exactly, we're getting to the point with games of getting the magnifying glass out to count pixels, the leap between PS3 and PS4 for example isn't all that staggering, I think we're at the stage where so long as developers put the work in, games looking good (not just more detailed and realsitic, but pleasing on the eye) and running smoothly can be taken for granted. I'm sure future consoles will be even closer to photo-realism but I don't think that's necessary for a game like Zelda, which as a fantasy genre game works perfectly fine with an art style that doesn't require microscopic details and highly nuanced degrees of realistic lighting.

As ALK suggested NX Zelda will probably take advantage of whatever new features the console brings, but I don't either version will be some unplayable eyesore. I'm confident NX Zelda will look good, run smoothly and be enjoyable on both systems, it's likely the NX version will be technically superior and look more impressive (4K perhaps), yet it may just not take full advantage of the NX hardware, it's rare that any launch games demonstate the totality of a system's potential.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:01 am

pratty wrote:
As ALK suggested NX Zelda will probably take advantage of whatever new features the console brings, but I don't either version will be some unplayable eyesore. I'm confident NX Zelda will look good, run smoothly and be enjoyable on both systems, it's likely the NX version will be technically superior and look more impressive (4K perhaps), yet it may just not take full advantage of the NX hardware, it's rare that any launch games demonstate the totality of a system's potential.
Or Ninty could be lazy like they were with Twilight Princess with basically an identical engine for both Gamecube and Wii version. Took them almost a decade and a generational leap before they upgraded Twilight Princess to HD!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:09 am

I'd imagine we'll review the NX version in Retro Gamer, but personally I'll be buying the Wii U one, two if I can justify it. If ever there was a Nintendo system that screams out 'collector's item' it's the Wii U.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:42 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
pratty wrote:
Or Ninty could be lazy like they were with Twilight Princess with basically an identical engine for both Gamecube and Wii version. Took them almost a decade and a generational leap before they upgraded Twilight Princess to HD!
The difference in resolution ins't as noticable now, in addition to system power when most people played standard definition cosnoles they often used the cheap composite cable, now with HD concoles I think it's fair to say most people are using HDMI, so the leap between standard and high definition gaming is considerable and noticable. I don't think whatever difference there is between the Wii-U which is HD, and whatever the NX is going to be will be something that people will be able to appreciate anyling like the leap of going from the Gamecube/Wii to the Wii-U.

We can put that down to Nintendo skimping on the hardware specs of the NX, but a) how powerful does it need to be? Do we really need to see every individual hair follicle? When there is the point of diminishing returns where a too powerful system becomes too expensive to sell. And b) The competition haven't made giant leaps from their previous consoles either, plenty of big games during these new consoles' launch were also available on the PS3 and 360.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:47 am

Nintendo skimped massively on hardware with the Wii. Surely the Wii represented the most underwhelming advancement in technology from the Gamecube in console history (basically a bit of overclocking and adding some more RAM)! Fortunately Nintendo were at least innovative with what it had to help them succeed in the last generation.

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:17 am

The boss talks about the NX launch date.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/0 ... _kimishima
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

William S

Post by William S » Thu May 05, 2016 5:50 pm

ROM Chip Maker Macronix Drops Hint Nintendo Could Be Abandoning Optical Storage For NX:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/0 ... age_for_nx
ImageImageImage

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri May 06, 2016 3:00 am

William S wrote:ROM Chip Maker Macronix Drops Hint Nintendo Could Be Abandoning Optical Storage For NX:
More speculation, of course, but that would make sense if it's a hybrid platform with a mobile component as other rumours have suggested. I'd think the PSP is evidence enough that you don't want to be carting around games for handhelds on optical disk.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri May 06, 2016 3:33 am

Matt_B wrote:
William S wrote:ROM Chip Maker Macronix Drops Hint Nintendo Could Be Abandoning Optical Storage For NX:
More speculation, of course, but that would make sense if it's a hybrid platform with a mobile component as other rumours have suggested. I'd think the PSP is evidence enough that you don't want to be carting around games for handhelds on optical disk.
If Nintendo do move to a totally download delivery system (unlikely) I will be demanding the gaming internet explodes completely into batshit anger like it's absolutely the very end of the world as we know it, just like it did when Microsoft suggested the same thing might be a feature on the Xbox One.
It's only fair.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri May 06, 2016 4:18 am

The Beans wrote:
Matt_B wrote:
If Nintendo do move to a totally download delivery system (unlikely) I will be demanding the gaming internet explodes completely into batshit anger like it's absolutely the very end of the world as we know it, just like it did when Microsoft suggested the same thing might be a feature on the Xbox One.
It's only fair.
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't go download-only; they're way too conservative for that, and the article is hinting at cartridges.

Still, a format that offers Blu-ray levels of capacity probably isn't going to come cheap. If it's between £40 for a download and £60 for a cartridge, I'm pretty sure the mass market would go with downloads leaving the cartridges for the collectors and those with dodgy internet connections.

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri May 06, 2016 8:11 am

Well if they're cards like DS/3DS, at least the thing might be backward compatible with 3DS/DS. :lol:

I'd doubt Nintendo would try and be the first to offer download only, especially as that would leave kids with parents that "don't like using credit cards online" and crappy connection folks out of luck. If they were to, they can't be stingy on the HDD space anymore. Even if you do buy a 2TB External HDD for your Wii U you're still limited to have only 300 downloads at a time till you delete a game/app to add a new game/app. And of course, if they did offer download only and NOT offer us the option of redownloading everything from our Wii U (And I would assume our 3DS downloads too maybe?) even with the £1-ish fee per game, they'd probably be dead in the water. Not to mention it would be nice to redownload our downloads without some transfer process or Wii Mode Channel we barely touch.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri May 06, 2016 10:01 am

I think they will have to increase the HDD space to win back third parties that are now heavily invested in DLC, Nintendo can still do DLC by their own standards but I think they will need to allow third parties the scope to get their DLC on as they do on other consoles.

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri May 06, 2016 12:31 pm

Hard drive space is now a big issue for all current generation hard-core gamers. Skimping on that for the relatively low cost would be a mistake I think.

Analog

Post by Analog » Mon May 09, 2016 4:01 pm

well I dunno about you guys but I am quite enjoying the current rumours going around about the nx at the moment, for once it isn't all doom and gloom...

industry insider by the name of emily rodgers has talked about the software output ,will "blow away the wii u’s software output In a single year"

https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016 ... re-output/

killbot

Post by killbot » Mon May 09, 2016 4:43 pm

I wonder if Nintendo have given up on attracting AAA multiplats and are going down a new route of simultaneously upping their own internal output (however they intend to do that) and attracting the big-hitting indies. They've been cosying up to the indies for a while now, resulting in many of the best indie titles around getting a Wii U release. In fact they've been markedly more successful at that than at holding onto EA, Ubi or Activision.

I've said for a while now that the market for AAA games has become unsustainably bloated and expensive. If it were to collapse, leaving the indie boys in pole position, and Nintendo had made NX attractive to those developers... they could well turn out to be ahead of the curve.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360