The 'NX' is Nintendo's next-gen console

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

DoraemonTheCat

Re: The 'NX' is Nintendo's next-gen console

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:06 pm

So, what does it mean for the Wii U??

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:21 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
The Beans wrote:I'd just like to point out that I'm not judging Nintendo on their announcement.

I judge them by their stale franchises, growing history of weak consoles, inability to adapt to changing markets and their increasing irrelevance to the majority of console gamers. I'm glad I could clear this up.
I don't think their franchises have become stale, I just think they are more under the spotlight because the perception (and somewhat the reality) is that the best and only games worth getting on their systems have been 1st party games or part of their franchises. The other consoles have had the luxury in recent years of having 3rd party developers provide a vast and varied library.
I cant talk for all Ninty franchises but in my opinion the Mario franchise has gone stale, I did not enjoy the Mario 3d World game on the WiiU at all. One point that springs to my mind about the power of Nintendo consoles is that you dont need great ammounts of power to make Mario games, they were colourful and convincing on the N64 and GC so if they do make a new machine comparible to current gen machines powerwise then they must be angling for 3rd party support as they dont need all that grunt just for effing WarioKidsRace 6 or whatever saccarine-rescue-the-princess-from-child-land simulator they decide to release next. Get some new Metroid games. :x
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:48 pm

What really bugs me about Nintendo at the moment is why the 'Virtual Console' for the handheld mostly has old handheld games on it. Who wants to buy a monochrome GameBoy version of ExciteBike on a hand-held more than capable of emulating the N64? Are they going to be repeating this idiocy for phones? Then again phone gamers are an even bigger bunch of weirdos, so a clone of 'Game & Watch: Donkey Kong Jr.' will probably turn out to be their best seller...

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:28 pm

3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:28 pm

gman72 wrote: I cant talk for all Ninty franchises but in my opinion the Mario franchise has gone stale, I did not enjoy the Mario 3d World game on the WiiU at all. One point that springs to my mind about the power of Nintendo consoles is that you dont need great ammounts of power to make Mario games, they were colourful and convincing on the N64 and GC so if they do make a new machine comparible to current gen machines powerwise then they must be angling for 3rd party support as they dont need all that grunt just for effing WarioKidsRace 6 or whatever saccarine-rescue-the-princess-from-child-land simulator they decide to release next. Get some new Metroid games. :x
Yea, they will need a more competitive (performance-wise) console if they want to attract 3rd party support, so that multiplatform games, and possibly even exclusives, can be more appealing to the mass market and relatively easy to port to all 3 systems. As you say, Mario games tend not to use or need a lot of horsepower, although franchises such as Metroid or Zelda, it wouldn't hurt.

Its nice though that Nintendo still exist and are creating these "saccarine" games, as modern games need a splash of colour and are getting far too serious and dull/grey for their own good. Its good to have variety, and Nintendo games do stand out, no matter how many times we've had to save the princess....its like good comfort food.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:41 pm

I don't understand the argument "Yes Nintendo should have a machine as powerful as Microsoft and sony so it can play games the same as you get on Microsoft and sony." At least in the olden days the machines all had their own strengths - Speccy, C64, Amstrad... nes/pc engine... snes/megadrive. Xbox and PS4 just seem identical to me, but then I am a bit of a philistine with modern gaming. Just me?

Anyway, interesting article on wired about the phone stuff - http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... hone-plans

I genuinely think handheld is the future and will dominate in years to come. I do most of my gaming on psp and tablet and phone and have done for a couple of years now.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:47 pm

Ignore this. :shock:
Last edited by gman72 on Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:49 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
gman72 wrote: I cant talk for all Ninty franchises but in my opinion the Mario franchise has gone stale, I did not enjoy the Mario 3d World game on the WiiU at all. One point that springs to my mind about the power of Nintendo consoles is that you dont need great ammounts of power to make Mario games, they were colourful and convincing on the N64 and GC so if they do make a new machine comparible to current gen machines powerwise then they must be angling for 3rd party support as they dont need all that grunt just for effing WarioKidsRace 6 or whatever saccarine-rescue-the-princess-from-child-land simulator they decide to release next. Get some new Metroid games. :x
Yea, they will need a more competitive (performance-wise) console if they want to attract 3rd party support, so that multiplatform games, and possibly even exclusives, can be more appealing to the mass market and relatively easy to port to all 3 systems. As you say, Mario games tend not to use or need a lot of horsepower, although franchises such as Metroid or Zelda, it wouldn't hurt.

Its nice though that Nintendo still exist and are creating these "saccarine" games, as modern games need a splash of colour and are getting far too serious and dull/grey for their own good. Its good to have variety, and Nintendo games do stand out, no matter how many times we've had to save the princess....its like good comfort food.
I do see your point about variety and Nintendo games but from a personal point of view I've been dropping Nintendo franchises from my playlist ever since the Gamecube, as I've gotten older they have seemed less and less for me. Im at the point Nintendo wise where I'm really only into Metroid... which I still absolutely love - especially the Prime games. Never been into Zelda - i've owned most of the games but never played any of them fully apart from Link To The Past on the SNES - Mariokart was stale on the WiiU in my opinion. I know it probably sounds like im Ninty bashing here but this is my genuine opinion, I find most of their games far too cartoony for me, I'm not really into cartoons anymore... im 42.
My 11 year old daughter loves Ninty games though. If the NX has third party support I will probs buy one though even though my WiiU is gathering dust just as my PS4 did.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:27 pm

gman72 wrote: I do see your point about variety and Nintendo games but from a personal point of view I've been dropping Nintendo franchises from my playlist ever since the Gamecube, as I've gotten older they have seemed less and less for me. Im at the point Nintendo wise where I'm really only into Metroid... which I still absolutely love - especially the Prime games. Never been into Zelda - i've owned most of the games but never played any of them fully apart from Link To The Past on the SNES - Mariokart was stale on the WiiU in my opinion. I know it probably sounds like im Ninty bashing here but this is my genuine opinion, I find most of their games far too cartoony for me, I'm not really into cartoons anymore... im 42.
My 11 year old daughter loves Ninty games though. If the NX has third party support I will probs buy one though even though my WiiU is gathering dust just as my PS4 did.
I've not LOVED Mario Kart since Super Mario Kart on the SNES. The sequels are entertaining enough, but I think the first one got it absolutely spot on, and I still play it to this day.

Their games are cartoony in style, thats part of their appeal and charm, and their plots are flimsy, but they play oh so well (and they've had decades to perfect it), so for me its not about having gritty storylines or "adult" themes. I play games for fun and relaxation, rather than wanting it to be an interactive movie or books....even the best videogame plots would barely make b-list book or movie standard, its just the nature of the industry at the moment. They serve a similar challenge to most "blockbuster" videogames as well. I think Nintendo's appeal is timeless and age or maturity is irrelevant. Although I wouldn't criticise it, its not the same for a 42 year old to play Mario Galaxy, as it is to watch Thundercats or more modern cartoons.

I would also agree though with you that Link to the Past is the best Zelda game ever created.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:29 pm

Strangely I actually spend a lot of time watching cartoons as I have two young daughters, the only two decent ones these days are Adventure Time and Regular Show most of the rest are quite depressing.
I play games for fun and relaxation too but I prefer gritty storylines and adult themes with realistic colour scheems. As for interactive movies or books I can take it or leave it as long as the game is good then its fine by me. When you say that the nature of the industry at the moment is to have plots that would barerly make B-movies I would say that this has always been the case and is far from a new thing, shonky video game plots have always been here and always will... that is the state of the industry but it is getting better with some modern games having amazing plot lines written by professional authors. Whether you think games should be wrapped up in interactive movies is a matter of personal choice I suppose, personally I would rather have a shonky plot line in my game than no plot line at all.
When I play a saccharine sweet Ninty game i feel like an interactive cartoon is being slapped across my face, poked into my eyes and rammed into the back of my throat, and whilst some people may enjoy this for me its the very thing I dislike about much of their canon, still I will probably buy their new console anyway as I love new tech.
Also if this NX console is Nintendos entry into the current gen then it does mean as I suspected that the WiiU is not a proper new gen console but an odd stop gap between two gens that was neither one nor the other.
Last edited by gman72 on Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:26 pm

DoraemonTheCat wrote:So, what does it mean for the Wii U??
Nothing. This is nothing new, companies work on new products while current products are still in consumer use. This is barely a story, it's one step up from "Ford designing new car" shocker.

Eventually, when the release of the NX is approaching Wii-U software will dry up, again nothing new or surprising, nothing to worry about now.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:01 am

pratty wrote:
Nothing. This is nothing new, companies work on new products while current products are still in consumer use. This is barely a story, it's one step up from "Ford designing new car" shocker.

Eventually, when the release of the NX is approaching Wii-U software will dry up, again nothing new or surprising, nothing to worry about now.
There's no indication that it would even be a replacement for the Wii-U. Rather, it's possible that it might be a replacement for the 3DS - which is the oldest of their current platforms - or an attempt to hit a new market entirely, much like the DS was originally. Also, if we're not going to find out more about it until next year, that'd put the earliest possible release date for it at late 2016, more likely 2017.

Of course that's not not going to stop anyone from leaping to conclusions:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... -the-wii-u

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:15 am

Matt_B wrote:
pratty wrote:

There's no indication that it would even be a replacement for the Wii-U. Rather, it's possible that it might be a replacement for the 3DS - which is the oldest of their current platforms - or an attempt to hit a new market entirely, much like the DS was originally. Also, if we're not going to find out more about it until next year, that'd put the earliest possible release date for it at late 2016, more likely 2017.

Of course that's not not going to stop anyone from leaping to conclusions:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... -the-wii-u
Your point about the NX being a replacement for the 3DS is very valid actually, in fact the more I think about it the more likely it seems that this is probably the case and speculating about the early demise of the WiiU may be a couple of years premature.

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:18 am

Of course, 2017 would be the 5 year console cycle reached for the Wii U and we did just get the New 3DS, even though that's more like the DSi was in terms of model upgrades. And with Nintendo stepping into mobiles, will that even leave much of a future for dedicated gaming handhelds?

Not doubting this could be the 3DS successor or not, but all of this does raise these sorts of questions.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:24 am

Well whatever it turns out to be I hope it's good and puts them firmly back on the map. I really would like to invest in Nintendo again as I have so much respect for them as a company. But in terms of under the TV consoles they haven't convinced me since the Snes.The Wii And Wii U just didn't do it for me, although they did get cash out of me (the wife actually) for the Wii.

Eat your nans pants