The 'NX' is Nintendo's next-gen console

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

The Laird

The 'NX' is Nintendo's next-gen console

Post by The Laird » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:47 pm

Nintendo has already disclosed that it's working on its next console - surprising just about nobody - but the hints its dropping are starting to get heavier.

At today's press conference, where it detailed its plans to move into smartphone gaming, Nintendo also took the time to tease its next-generation console.

That piece of hardware is codenamed the "NX" according Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata, who underlined the fact that Nintendo is still in the dedicated console market, despite it branching out into mobile.

"Because now we have decided on how we will make use of smart device, we have come to hold an even stronger passion and vision for the dedicated video game system business than before."

Iwata added: "Let me confirm that Nintendo is currently developing a dedicated game platform with a brand new concept under the development codename 'NX'"

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/co ... gn=project

ALK

Re: The 'NX' is Nintendo's next-gen console

Post by ALK » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:58 pm

I really REALLY hope that whatever concept/gimmick this console will have wins back some of those 3rd parties that abandoned the Wii U.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:59 pm

^How to get EA on board

"Yes we will allow DLC and session passes"

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:57 pm

ALK wrote:I really REALLY hope that whatever concept/gimmick this console will have wins back some of those 3rd parties that abandoned the Wii U.
It's got to win back customers before it can win back 3rd party publishers. Another underpowered machine with shitloads of Mario isn't going to do that. Unless it costs £20 and plays PS4 games.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

merman

Post by merman » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:19 pm

I love how everyone is already judging Nintendo based on what was basically an announcement saying "we are working in a new console".
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:02 pm

I love how everyone is already judging Nintendo based on what was basically an announcement saying "we are working in a new console".
Sadly thats how the net works these days.
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:08 pm

merman wrote:I love how everyone is already judging Nintendo based on what was basically an announcement saying "we are working in a new console".
Yes, exactly. Sony and MS will also be working on new consoles now.

And EA? really?

But then each to their own I guess.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:37 pm

merman wrote:I love how everyone is already judging Nintendo based on what was basically an announcement saying "we are working in a new console".
It must be pretty big though.

Eat your nans pants

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:10 pm

I'd just like to point out that I'm not judging Nintendo on their announcement.

I judge them by their stale franchises, growing history of weak consoles, inability to adapt to changing markets and their increasing irrelevance to the majority of console gamers. I'm glad I could clear this up.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:05 pm

The Laird wrote:Nintendo has already disclosed that it's working on its next console - surprising just about nobody
I was actually surprised. I was either expecting them to stop doing consoles, or announce one in a couple of years.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:49 pm

The Beans wrote:
ALK wrote:I really REALLY hope that whatever concept/gimmick this console will have wins back some of those 3rd parties that abandoned the Wii U.
It's got to win back customers before it can win back 3rd party publishers. Another underpowered machine with shitloads of Mario isn't going to do that. Unless it costs £20 and plays PS4 games.
Number 1 step above anything else.

Do NOT call it "Wii Anything".
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:45 pm

I wonder if it will be related to the "virtual reality". Yeah, everyone's doing it these days, but I feel Nintendo might actually do something unique and interesting with it. On the other hand, the total disaster that was the Virtual Boy might turn them off to make it. Hardware-wise, I don't expect much, I just hope the pricing will be more moderate. The Wii and Wii U were too expensive for what they offered, thing is just the Wii succeeded because of it's broad appeal and controller that anyone could use whereas the Wii U's unusual screened pad did not repeat that success. They will also need to improve their 3rd party relations, online support and expand their portfolio of in-house games (meaning not only relying on Mario and friends) if they want to expand their audience.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:53 pm

^^Unusually, i actually agree with you on that.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:40 am

I don't think there's any coincidence that this was announced at the same time as their forthcoming phone games. It really just seems to be something to reassure customers that they'll continue to be a console manufacturer, in spite of that particular dabble.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:41 pm

The Beans wrote:I'd just like to point out that I'm not judging Nintendo on their announcement.

I judge them by their stale franchises, growing history of weak consoles, inability to adapt to changing markets and their increasing irrelevance to the majority of console gamers. I'm glad I could clear this up.
I don't think their franchises have become stale, I just think they are more under the spotlight because the perception (and somewhat the reality) is that the best and only games worth getting on their systems have been 1st party games or part of their franchises. The other consoles have had the luxury in recent years of having 3rd party developers provide a vast and varied library.

Meanwhile, lets all go crazy at the 15th installment (and thats just of the main series) of Final Fantasy. My point is that Nintendo do sequels just like the rest of them....at least games like Mario 3D World and Galaxy are among the best in its series. The best Final Fantasy and Resident Evil games originated in the Gamecube/PS2 generation, some may argue the PS1/Sat/N64 gen. Nintendo just tend to overdo the "Party" games, but they do seem to take pride and care when it comes to main Mario platform and Zelda games.

EDIT : I agree that Nintendo need to stop releasing vastly inferior hardware (handhelds they can easily get away with, but not so much with main home consoles). I appreciate they had a lot of success with the Wii, but lets face it, that success was the massive novelty factor of the first couple of years. Once that had finished, the Wii died quite quickly. Nintendo have had periods of being cutting edge....the SNES was powerful for its generation, the N64 had its advantages (despite the silly choice of using cartridges) and the Gamecube was no slouch for its generation. I know its probably hard to compete against technology giants like Sony and Microsoft....but even if its the weakest of the three, at least don't make it an entire generation behind.