Let's talk about movie tie ins.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Hiro

Re: Let's talk movie tie ins.

Post by Hiro » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:37 pm

Some great games already mentioned, I have a soft spot for Batman: the Movie by Ocean, brilliant effort (especially on the Amiga).

I'll add The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay and Assault on Dark Athena to the pack, two brilliant games.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:12 pm

Yeh, I'll agree with that. All tie ins are not crap, just most :)

Eat your nans pants

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:33 pm

I enjoyed the old Ghostbusters game.

Also Blade Runner which has already been mentioned.
It wasn't really a tie-in as it released long after the film came out but it really nailed the Blade Runner universe.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:42 pm

Pretty crappy likeness of both Stallone and John Lithgow. There simply must be more.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:53 pm

I was doing a bit of clearing out earlier and found my SNES cart of Dragon: Bruce Lee Story. I used to really like this game and was pretty good at it. I had a quick go and I've lost my touch, but I might give it some time this weekend.
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:26 am

SpockIOM wrote:I was doing a bit of clearing out earlier and found my SNES cart of Dragon: Bruce Lee Story. I used to really like this game and was pretty good at it. I had a quick go and I've lost my touch, but I might give it some time this weekend.
I played the Jaguar version of that and liked it. I wasn't much good at the game (took me ages to beat it) but I really liked the music on the Jaguar version.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:27 am

I'm going to get slaughtered for this but I'm going to mention Runnung man on Amiga.

In retrospect it was a really clunky game with very little content but I really enjoyed it. The best reason I can think of was because it seemed to capture the spirit and characters of the film very well and I guess I projected that onto the game.

I bet if I played this today is hate it...
http://youtu.be/w3GmQrQPXc8
:)

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:37 am

Edit. Wrong forum.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:46 am

Re: Total Recall. I knew I'd totally recalled it (sorry) -

"Mark Jones completed some sprites and mockup screens for version 1 of Total Recall which was eventually scrapped." http://www.tzxvault.org/time.htm

I remember the game being previewed in either SU or YS, and the game that came out was completely different than the one that had been previewed.

I've now been on this forum so long I end up having the same topics of conversation a few years later, ha.

Also - Aliens on the speccy was a beast of a game (UK version, obviously). Man it was scary. Beep.........beep.....beep.....beep...beep..beep.beepbeepbeepbeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppppppppppppppp....DEAD.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:53 am

Oh yeah, Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story was a great game. I had the MD version and really enjoyed playing it. It had an interesting 'Chi' system where, if you were doing well, your Chi would increase and it would unlock new moves mid-fight. It was awesome when you got the Nunchucks!

A movie tie in I could never get on with was Night Breed on the Amiga. I really wanted this game to be good but it was just rock hard and I could never get anywhere!

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:01 am

Apparently there was a movie tie-in game for the classic They Live. I can find a pic of the title but it doesn't give any other info away. I would love to know more about this.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:05 pm

JamesC wrote: A movie tie in I could never get on with was Night Breed on the Amiga. I really wanted this game to be good but it was just rock hard and I could never get anywhere!
I had that on the Speccy and to be honest I had no idea what was going on! But I sort of miss that, in a strange way - almost incomprehensible games. You don't get that these days!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:36 pm

gman72 wrote:Image

Pretty crappy likeness of both Stallone and John Lithgow. There simply must be more.
I remember thinking that Luke looks like he's got a dislocated jaw on the title screen of Super Star Wars. Shame really cos the graphics on that game are generally very good for the time.
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

sidney

Post by sidney » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:18 pm

Cobra, Goldeneye, Batman the Movie. Great tie ins that I still enjoy today.

gman72

Re: Let's talk about movie tie ins.

Post by gman72 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:35 pm

Can anyone remember the They Live movie tie-in game? what format was it on? How was Roddy Piper's likeness?