Let's talk about movie tie ins.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Bluce_Ree

Re: Let's talk movie tie ins.

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:09 am

Hang on, Gman. Terminator Salvation was almost as bad as the movie! Quick and dirty achievements though.

Hudson Hawk is one of the few good game/bad movie games out there.

To this day I still maintain that nearly all the Aliens games are rubbish and that the best Aliens game is actually Rebelstar 2 on the Speccy.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:13 am

I also enjoyed Wanted : weapons of fate on the 360

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:18 am

Bluce_Ree wrote:Hang on, Gman. Terminator Salvation was almost as bad as the movie! Quick and dirty achievements though.
Maybe i'm a sadist but I enjoyed playing through this one... as you say easy achievements also :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:22 am

RodimusPrime wrote:I also enjoyed Wanted : weapons of fate on the 360
Aye that wasn't bad. Easy achvs again and actually an alright movie too.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:36 am

My favourite would most probably be Enter The Maxtrix

A nice little game, with a solid framerate to boot. Probably the one movie game I remember most vividly, because I completed it in a day as it hooked me from the get go with its specially made movie scenes.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:41 am

samhain81 wrote:My favourite would most probably be Enter The Maxtrix

A nice little game, with a solid framerate to boot. Probably the one movie game I remember most vividly, because I completed it in a day as it hooked me from the get go with its specially made movie scenes.
THIS!

It got a bit panned but it linked in with the 2nd movie (was basically a parallel story featuring Will Smith's missus). It did that so well that it completely enhanced the movie too. Lots of people hate Matrix 2 but I loved it and this game was part of that.

Analog

Post by Analog » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:03 am

the terminator arcade game has been rated as really good by critics who played it.
greenberet79 wrote:
Analog wrote:what are peoples opinions on total recall by ocean software?
Wasn't the original scrapped and then a new one quickly made? I didn't like it tbh - but I think someone who worked on the game uses the forum so don't want to criticise it! It's been talked about before here (obviously).

In fact, was it you?!?
it wasn't me. I had the demo on cpc, I remember sort of enjoying the demo but was never too sure if I should buy the game. the game itself has held some sort of appeal over all these years, thinking I should just get a copy and try it out. classic game room hates the nes version.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:38 am

Analog wrote:the terminator arcade game has been rated as really good by critics who played it.
greenberet79 wrote:
Analog wrote:what are peoples opinions on total recall by ocean software?
Wasn't the original scrapped and then a new one quickly made? I didn't like it tbh - but I think someone who worked on the game uses the forum so don't want to criticise it! It's been talked about before here (obviously).

In fact, was it you?!?
it wasn't me. I had the demo on cpc, I remember sort of enjoying the demo but was never too sure if I should buy the game. the game itself has held some sort of appeal over all these years, thinking I should just get a copy and try it out. classic game room hates the nes version.

Its not very good TBH. I have a boxed US NTSC version in excellent condition ( still has the cellophane on nad has just been cut along the top to allow you to get the cart out ) I got a load of partially sealed US NES games like that. tried the game once and never went back.

Analog

Post by Analog » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:03 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
Its not very good TBH. I have a boxed US NTSC version in excellent condition ( still has the cellophane on nad has just been cut along the top to allow you to get the cart out ) I got a load of partially sealed US NES games like that. tried the game once and never went back.
ah fair enough, bit of a shame really, the original film was ace! I suppose on the plus side it did look pretty good.. came out around the time of some 8-bit computers later years. I had a read about it on wikipedia.
A video game was made based on the film, featuring 2D action, platformer scenes and top-down racing scenes; a version was released for popular 8-bit home computers (Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum and Amstrad CPC), and popular 16-bit home computers (Amiga and Atari ST). The game was developed and released by Ocean Software, reaching number 2 in the UK sales charts, behind Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.[30] There was also a much-maligned[by whom?] NES version which was notably different from the others, being developed by a different team (Interplay). Interplay defended the changes, however, claiming that their alteration stuck closer to the spirit of the original short story, which they said "read more like a platformer."
which makes me wonder if the non nes versions were better?

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:07 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:
samhain81 wrote:My favourite would most probably be Enter The Maxtrix

THIS!

It got a bit panned but it linked in with the 2nd movie (was basically a parallel story featuring Will Smith's missus). It did that so well that it completely enhanced the movie too. Lots of people hate Matrix 2 but I loved it and this game was part of that.
Forgot to add that the best part came from completing the game, as it gave you a preview to the 3rd film, which at the time, was an amazing reward, for the trailer had not even been released publicly.

Now if that isn't an incentive to complete a game, I don't know what is

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:35 pm

which games do you think had the best and worst actor likenesses in them. The recent COD game whilst obviously not a movie tie-in had quite a decent Kevin Spacey character. All these movie licences must have produced some stinkers when it comes to actors faces.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:00 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:Hang on, Gman. Terminator Salvation was almost as bad as the movie!
The arcade lightgun game is amazing fun though. Typical that this never received a home port and yet the forgettable console tie-in was released. Mind you, it would be difficult to replicate the awesomeness of the assault rifle lightguns at home for the arcade game!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:41 pm

GoldenEye 007, N64 - best movie game ever? Well yes it is. One of the first console-exclusive first-person shooters that were actually enjoyable too.

Batman Returns, SNES - great sidescrolling beat em up. As fun today as it was over 20 years ago. Batman Forever was a horrible game tho.

Jurassic Park, MD - not an exceptional game by any means but I enjoyed it for what it was. Short but fun game. Playing with the raptor was thrilling (no gory eating of people sadly).

Aliens vs Predator, PC (& Jaguar & Arcade) - here we have a game that was made before the movie came out. The PC game was a remake of the classic Jaguar title, also one of the first enjoyable console FP shooters, and it was great. The second game was more polished and both games are still great today for their tense atmosphere and enjoyable SP and MP play. And the Arcade game is one of the finest scolling beat em ups that was never ported to any home system (the SNES game was different, much less enjoyable).

The Terminator, NES, PC - the NES game was a flawed platform shooter but I sort of enjoyed it as a kid. The PC game was a GTA-style 3D first-person shooter and driving game. They later on made Rampage and Future Shock and both were traditional first-person shooters with progressive elements. Future Shock was interesting in particular.

Terminator 3, PC - awful game, pure licensed trash. Dated graphics and horrible gameplay. It seems the publisher thought they could sell it on the license alone.

Superman 64, N64 - well we all know this game don't we? :P

Of course it's totally broken, unplaylable mess. Shame because the canned PS version actually looked like a cool Superman game and there aren't many (if any) out there.

King Kong, X360, PC - very good use of the movie license. A bit forgotten today but was a nice game.

Star Wars games, NES, SNES - both, the NES and SNES games were good. Nice presentation merged with solid gameplay.

Star Wars Racer, N64, PC - it took just a part of the movie (pod racing) but it remains to this day one of the better futuristic arcade racers. It was just fun to play.

Jurassic Park Tresspasser, PC - a JP game loosely based on the 2nd movie and while flawed, it was pretty progressive for it's time. A first-person survival game with realistic hand movement simulation and a large world with dynamic physics. It came before it's time I'd say.

Gremlins 2, GB - not that good game but I have nostalgic and sentimental feelings about it because it was one of the first GB games I had.

edit: oh and I forgot to mention Young Indiana Jones Chronicles for NES. Really cool game, could just be a bit longer.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:07 pm

King Kong came out on the original Xbox too you know. It was a pretty good game. :D

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:10 pm

gman72 wrote:King Kong came out on the original Xbox too you know. It was a pretty good game. :D
The 360 version aged my eyes by twenty years. Everything was brown. It was as monochromatic as a Tiertex game on the Speccy.