Let's talk about movie tie ins.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

gman72

Let's talk about movie tie ins.

Post by gman72 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:28 pm

I've just been playing Cliff Hanger on the SNES. The first stage takes the form of a scrolling beat-em-up. Now I often enjoy so called crap games and will often try and persevere to get to the gold as it were but I really struggled with this one. The pace seems really slow and the character movement very sluggish. Whilst the graphics aren't ugly they seem very plain and uninspiring... I will try and persevere with this one at least to get off the first level :shock: because i love the movie but I'm not holding out much hope. Next on the list is SNES Stargate then Lawnmower man.
There has been a few I've enjoyed recently. Terminator Salvation 360/PS3 was a great way to waste an evening or two. Quantum Of Solace was by far my favourite Bond game and Wanted 360/PS3 was another enjoyable romp. Another more obscure movie tie in I've enjoyed is Land Of The Dead Road To Fiddlers Green on the original Xbox... Hard work to some, a very enjoyable experience to me. Anyway I'd love to hear other peoples opinions on movie tie in games and which ones they hated or enjoyed and why :D

And yeah I know its been discussed before but hey thats life, right?
Last edited by gman72 on Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

RodimusPrime

Re: Let's talk movie tie ins.

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:50 pm

I am going to just list ones I have spent time with and played growing up as opposed to ones I have only tried quickly.

Hook ( Snes and Megadrive ) a really fun platformer and has some really nice graphics
Gremlins 2 ( NES ) a great little Sunsoft game
Moonwalker ( Megadrive ) I actually love this game and played it and completed it several times growing up
Rambo III ( Megadrive ) a fun overhead shooter in the vein of commando
censored Tracey ( megadrive ) better than it had any right to be.

Stay away from ( or play if you like bad games )

Last action hero, Waynes world, lethal Weapon ( all Snes )
Total recall ( NES )
Back to the future III ( MD )

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:59 pm

Ah yes that reminds me, there was a Gremlins game on the C64 which was class, not sure if it's te same as NES one though.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:04 pm

Spiderman 2 (PS2/Gamecube/Xbox) - proof that a movie tie-in can be amazing. I remember paying £37.99 for the Gamecube version on release day. Sure the combat was nothing special and visually it could be ugly at times but the feeling of 'being' Spiderman was amazing and the game (for me at least) rivalled the likes of GTA in the 'messing about doing nothing in particular' respect.

I don't think I've seen another 'must have' Spiderman game since.

I have noticed that there are far less tie-in games on the last gen and current gen compared to the PS2-era. I'm assuming that they all come out on mobiles these days?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:07 pm

All movie tie ins are crap

Eat your nans pants

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:27 pm

crusto wrote:All movie tie ins are crap
Not quite.

Almost all are rubbish, but come on batman returns on the SNES was a fantastic scrolling fighter.

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:35 pm

Yeah but batman is a div.

Eat your nans pants

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:47 pm

Judge Dredd (16 bit) is a decent game. It was marketed as a movie tie in but is more based on the comic.
Alien 3 is pretty good too (but quite hard) - ditto the SNES 'Super Star Wars' trilogy and 'Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures'.

Of course pretty much all the Megadrive Disney movie tie ins are pretty great.

A couple of others I enjoyed were 'Mission: Impossible' on the N64. A cracking game with varied play styles and some really well designed levels. I don't think it reviewed very well, mainly because everyone seemed put out because it wasn't 'Goldeneye'.
'Minority Report' on the GameCube was great fun. It got dire review scores but I really loved it. It was a dumb beat em up in a sort of of 3D Streets of Rage style and had ridiculous rag doll physics. I had hours of fun chucking goons off rooftops. Not a deep or sophisticated game by any means but something that made it's central premise of 'punch and throw as many baddies as possible' feel great.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:57 pm

Lawnmower man on the SNES is actually a pretty good game. As far as licensed dreck goes...

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:30 pm

I still like The Addams Family game - decent enough platformer for me! I thought the Cutthroat Island game on SNES and Batman Returns on Master System were surprisingly ok too.
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

woody130496

Post by woody130496 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:40 pm

I'm quite a big fan of The Terminator game on the MD I've been meaning to check out Terminator 2 for the MD

Back to the Future Part III was just utter garbage

i have Jurassic Park for the MD on my self i really need to play that some time as I've heard its a great game

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:31 pm

Jurassic Park on the SNES was a great game with an awesome soundtrack, although the lack of any save points or passwords was bizzare. Alien 3 was also a good shooter although did get samey after a while

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:02 am

Does Enter The Matrix count? I enjoyed it. I liked the way it was interwoven with Matrix Reloaded, and had scenes shot specifically for the game. It was fun to play too, doing all the kung fu and acrobatic gunplay in slow motion.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:45 am

silvergunner wrote:
Not quite.

Almost all are rubbish, but come on batman returns on the SNES was a fantastic scrolling fighter.
Ahh dont mind him hes being a negative nacny
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:47 am

silvergunner wrote:
Not quite.

I thought Robocop on the Amiga was pretty good as well as Cobra on the Speccy. Oceans Batman game (not the Ritman one ) was deemed to be excellent too. Jurassic Park on the SNES, Goldeneye N64, Star Wars Rogue Squadron series....
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer