Games ruined by bugs

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Nightbreed

Post by Nightbreed » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:49 pm

That wasn't a bug, that was just 'bad bertha'. I beat the CPC version tons of times. Admitably up until the point Bertha turns up you can just stand against the wall and back kick and the enemy would walk into you one at a time like a really bad kung fu movie (apart from the motorbikes on level 2). Then suddenly it got stupidly difficult.

There was a nack to killing Bertha IIRC, It probably did involve the flying kick at just the right moment.
Yeah, She can be a right pain. I still enjoy playing the game on MAME and it took me AGES to work out the best way to kick her arse. Basically you have to let her run at you then jumpkick her at just the right moment. :)
Bring back Thingy and Rockford!!! Zzap 64 liberation front!!! :):):)

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:21 am

Nightbreed wrote:
Yeah, She can be a right pain. I still enjoy playing the game on MAME and it took me AGES to work out the best way to kick her arse. Basically you have to let her run at you then jumpkick her at just the right moment. :)
Ah yes, its all coming back to me now. On the CPC, you just walk to one side of the level, when the distance between you and Bertha is right she'll run at you and you can flying kick her (asuming you get the timing right). Then walk to the other side of the level and repeat. Ahh memories.

rupert

Post by rupert » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:29 am

Championship Hocky on the Sega Master System.

I am amazed this game was ever released! it's totally unplayable and the enjoyment comes from how bad it is, it is actually funny. I would say more but this reveiw sums it up perfectly..

http://www.smstributes.co.uk/viewuserre ... eviewid=93

I'd recomend anyone with a Master System to track it down as it's worth seeing to beleave such a thing could have been released. be warned though it is possible to buy for under £10 if you have some good ebay skills (or lucky enough to find it in the wild) but usually sells for £30+ infact one I sold went for £72 last year (started at 0.99p)

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:46 am

Hmm...That review reads a little bit like something written by somebody who is desperatly trying to find something funny, even though it really isn't that funny.

In the critically underrated movie "Galaxy Quest" Tim Alan's character, while in a toilet cubical during a Sci-Fi convention, over hears a couple of guys laughing sarcastically about his Galaxy Quest show in a very forced 'American' un-natural manner. Reading that review reminded me of that scene.

rupert

Post by rupert » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:52 am

RocketRanger wrote:
Hmm...That review reads a little bit like something written by somebody who is desperatly trying to find something funny, even though it really isn't that funny.

In the critically underrated movie "Galaxy Quest" Tim Alan's character, while in a toilet cubical during a Sci-Fi convention, over hears a couple of guys laughing sarcastically about his Galaxy Quest show in a very forced 'American' un-natural manner. Reading that review reminded me of that scene.
yeah Stan is American, he can get abit over excited (passionate?) about things, but his reveiw is good for that game.

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:54 am

There was a good bug on Bruce Lee on the BBC where on about the third or forth screen you could walk through this wall, fall through the screen and end up back at the top with 255 lives. Bruce Lee with blonde hair though??????
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:55 am

rupert wrote:[

yeah Stan is American, he can get abit over excited (passionate?) about things, but his reveiw is good for that game.
Yes, he seems to be passionate about the 'suckiness' of things. At least he has an angle.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:01 am

rupert wrote: I'd recommend anyone with a Master System to track it down as it's worth seeing to believe such a thing could have been released. be warned though it is possible to buy for under £10 if you have some good ebay skills (or lucky enough to find it in the wild) but usually sells for £30+ infact one I sold went for £72 last year (started at 0.99p)
I have a mint copy bought for £3.99 on a market stall in wales before retro exploded :)
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:29 pm

Cornelius wrote:The one in Broken Sword on the Game Boy Advance that stops you from progressing after making a certain mistake which is after many hours of play. I challenge anyone who can top this.
Jet Force Gemini on the N64

I'd put in 17 hours playtime, not used a guide at all, found (I think) most of the little fuzzy creatures....and all of a sudden, the game just froze.

'Not a problem' I thought, this has happened to me on games before so I just need to hit reset and start from my last save.

I hit reset, and the 'new' title screen appeared (the one after you beat Mizar for the first time) so I thought everything was OK.

But it had completly wiped ALL of my save files :x

There was nothing wrong with the internal battery on the cart either. I've not been able to bring myself to even play a bit of that game since, shame really as I loved it at first.... :cry:

bolda

Post by bolda » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:42 am

ToxieDogg wrote:Jet Force Gemini on the N64

I'd put in 17 hours playtime, not used a guide at all, found (I think) most of the little fuzzy creatures....and all of a sudden, the game just froze.

'Not a problem' I thought, this has happened to me on games before so I just need to hit reset and start from my last save.

I hit reset, and the 'new' title screen appeared (the one after you beat Mizar for the first time) so I thought everything was OK.

There was nothing wrong with the internal battery on the cart either. I've not been able to bring myself to even play a bit of that game since, shame really as I loved it at first.... :cry:
Hmmm, I just picked this up from eBay so I'd better beware of that one (although it doesn't sound like there's much you can do about it if it happens!)
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:39 am

ToxieDogg wrote:
Cornelius wrote:The one in Broken Sword on the Game Boy Advance that stops you from progressing after making a certain mistake which is after many hours of play. I challenge anyone who can top this.
Jet Force Gemini on the N64

I know how you feel, though with FF7. :evil:
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:56 am

Is the Wii as guilty of wiping saves as much as the Cube? I bought an Action Replay for my Cube so I could back up my saves, it did it to me so often. Usually a power off, reseat card, power on, would sort it out but sometimes the card would need formatting.

I'll need to back up my SD Card if the Wii is also guilty.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:48 pm

bolda wrote:A few from the ST...

Frontier : Elite 2 - where to start!? Another great game but bugged to hell. Analysing your own hyperspace cloud would guarentee to crash the game. Also, the bulletin boards would occassionally get "corrupted".
I found that rather amusing about the ST version - whereas the Amiga version was pure genius in comparision !!!!
Shin_Gouki wrote:Super Street Fighter II X Revival, GBA - A massive bug that made it impossible to fight Gouki/Akuma - the game would crash if you fulfilled the necessary requirements to reach him. You had to deliberately lose a round so that you could only reach Bison and therefore complete the game. The playtesters must have been hung over, or just rubbish at SF. :evil: :evil: :evil:
The Super SF2 Turbo Revival (or Super SF2 X Revival in Japan) bug also exists on the original arcade of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (or at least I was able to reproduce the same crash when fighting Gouki/Akuma on MAME)
Maybe they ported the whole coding, including the bug :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also I noticed when playing Head Over Heels, it's possible to get caught in a dying loop - you fall to your death, then when you re-appear, your character is falling to it's death again, unable to change his angle of decent (only applicable with Heels, cos Head can glide/change direction during decent) until you loose all your lives - how unfair is that!!! The same bug exists in Jon Ritman's Batman game (at least it does if you don't collect all of Batman's tools - especially the one of which enables Batman to glide/change direction/angle of decent)

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:16 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Is the Wii as guilty of wiping saves as much as the Cube? I bought an Action Replay for my Cube so I could back up my saves, it did it to me so often. Usually a power off, reseat card, power on, would sort it out but sometimes the card would need formatting.

I'll need to back up my SD Card if the Wii is also guilty.
Strange.. Not one of my Cube save files have ever been lost, on both size memory cards and I have about 7 of them..

Are you using Nintendo Memory cards or some third party crap..?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:18 am

3rd party crap of course. I have one official card but that's just as guilty.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.