Games ruined by bugs

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:44 am

One that's really p*ssed me off recently was Lego Star Wars II on the DS.

I think it was programmed by a f**king r*tard and play tested by Stevie Wonder.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:26 am

Bub&Bob wrote:One that's really p*ssed me off recently was Lego Star Wars II on the DS.

I think it was programmed by a f**king r*tard and play tested by Stevie Wonder.
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/lego-star- ... 201346.php

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:39 am

and not to mention Bubble Bobble Revolution DS where enemies don't appear and you move straight to the next level and the small matter of level 30..............

The DS sure does get more than it's fair share of sh*te :x
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:40 am

Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor on the PC had a fair few gameplay affecting bugs, but worse was the one where it could wipe your system files if you uninstalled it! :shock:

MRMIdAS

Post by MRMIdAS » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:45 am

Bub&Bob wrote:and not to mention Bubble Bobble Revolution DS where enemies don't appear and you move straight to the next level and the small matter of level 30..............

Could people please elaborate on bugs and stuff?

Just going "the jump bug in *game name*" doesn't give people much of an idea on what heppens outside of "there's a bug involving jumping".

cheers.
Loading "sig"

Please Wait......

Demonblaze

Post by Demonblaze » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:05 pm

Then there's no point me mentioning Messiah as there is so many bugs that I'd be here for the rest of my life. It's a shame really as the game showed much promise and I'd been waiting for it for soooooo long. I remember the initial release of Cruise For A Corpse on the Amiga 500 was also buggy. Story driven sequences didn't always happen at their designated time and this would leave the game uncompletable. And laslty there's Leisure Suit Larry 6 (Talkie Version). I have the original Larry Collection Pack that shipped with 1 through to 6 (both versions of 6 included) other larry programs/games and 2 books (one being all the instruction books and the other being a biography of sorts). Any way with alot of the versions of the talkie Larry 6 you had to play through the game in a strict set way or you'ld be plagued by random crashes and there's no patch to fix it. I emailed Al Lowe about it and he replied that he knew about it and was frustrated with Sierra for never correcting it and that best thing was to play it with a walkthrough. It's a shame how that series has been allowed to get to such a low-ebb as Al's a great guy and very passionate about his creation.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:06 am

MRMIdAS wrote:
Bub&Bob wrote:and not to mention Bubble Bobble Revolution DS where enemies don't appear and you move straight to the next level and the small matter of level 30..............

Could people please elaborate on bugs and stuff?

Just going "the jump bug in *game name*" doesn't give people much of an idea on what heppens outside of "there's a bug involving jumping".

cheers.
Ok then - the boss in level 30 (which you need to kill to progress to level 31) does not appear so you just sit there forever

MRMIdAS

Post by MRMIdAS » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:50 am

Is that all the time or just on occasion?

thats well bad.
Loading "sig"

Please Wait......

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:52 am

everytime :x

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:47 am

GTA - I know the game series from 3 above does have a few bugs every now and then. One was a car that had pulled out onto the main road and crashed on to a police car. I then had a wanted star & the police were after me, even though I had nothing to do with what had happened. Maybe Rockstar had programmed this like some sort of police provocation or just a bug after all.
Another Rockstar game that springs to mind is Manhunt. When a baddie sees you, he gives chase but when you turn onto a sharp corner he will get stuck & still keep on running against the wall or any other object. The only thing to do is to run back behind him so he runs back at you, eitherwise no matter how far away you are the baddie is in the same position & the game is locked in chase mode.

bolda

Post by bolda » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:41 am

A few from the ST...

Goal - Dino Dini's much anticipated follow-up to Kick Off 2, I bought this as soon as it was released and it was not possible to complete a single match without the classic ST "bombs" appearing on screen and the game hanging. I subsequently read the ST Format review which also mentioned it was buggy but didn't really convey just how bad the bugs were. I remember having a discussion about this on here a while back with the guy who did the play-testing for this and he wasn't aware of any bugs... maybe they fixed them shortly after release and I was just unlucky to get one of the unfixed batch...

Deuteros - superb game but contained one annoying bug that occurred at random intervals... the mouse pointer would inexplicably whizz across to the edge of the screen and remain rooted there. Sometimes it would come back to life after messing about clicking the mouse buttons in a random sequence. I think a cracked verison of the game was released that fixed this bug - hooray for pirates! :wink: Also, the 2nd disk that came with Deuteros contained a virus in the bootsector (the Signum virus IIRC). However, there was no reason to boot up with disk 2 in the drive so it shouldn't cause any problems.

Frontier : Elite 2 - where to start!? Another great game but bugged to hell. Analysing your own hyperspace cloud would guarentee to crash the game. Also, the bulletin boards would occassionally get "corrupted".
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:19 pm

bolda wrote:Frontier : Elite 2 - where to start!? Another great game but bugged to hell. Analysing your own hyperspace cloud would guarentee to crash the game. Also, the bulletin boards would occassionally get "corrupted".
Isn't that part of the simulation? A sort of Elite version of Get Dexter? ;)

Goal was buggy on my ST, but it didn't crash every game for me, I played that a fair bit. Mine came from The Home Computer Club mail order thingie.

Amaurote benefitted from having bugs.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:20 pm

For me had to be Renegade on the Amstrad CPC

All in all a really good game, nice control system, colourful graphics, and satisfying gameplay. One of the bosses was however impossible to beat, it was a leather clad woman (her main weapon was a whip!) with two hench men if I remember correctly. You had to take out the hench men and then beat the woman up. I remember you could beat the blokes up quite easily. lady whip-lash however had the reactions of a cat and the reach of an.... erm, really long thing. You only seemed to be able to make contact with her with using flying kicks, the only problem was that no matter how many times you hit her she never died from that specific move. If you tried to trade punches with her maybe one out of 10 would hit and than she'd beat you down (she was too quick with the whip). Maybe it wasn't a bug but none of my mates got past her too way, way to frustrating.

Mort

Post by Mort » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:05 pm

Wost bug ever must be Frontiers younger brother First Encounters it would Crash within seconds of starting throwing you back to the dos prompt, well worth £25 or thereabouts, did get patched but was always flakey at best.

Earlier got caught out by the bugs on Fairlight 2 and Heartland which stopped the games being completed.

Lastly my fav "bugged" game was Interceptor on the Amiga. landing the Hornet upside down on the Carrier or ejecting your pilot and full speed 2 feet off the ground upside down when the game then said you pilot ejected safely after hitting the ground at about 400 miles an hour! :wink:
Blast another coupon missing, what`s on ebay!

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:07 pm

gmintyfresh wrote:For me had to be Renegade on the Amstrad CPC

All in all a really good game, nice control system, colourful graphics, and satisfying gameplay. One of the bosses was however impossible to beat, it was a leather clad woman (her main weapon was a whip!) with two hench men if I remember correctly. You had to take out the hench men and then beat the woman up. I remember you could beat the blokes up quite easily. lady whip-lash however had the reactions of a cat and the reach of an.... erm, really long thing. You only seemed to be able to make contact with her with using flying kicks, the only problem was that no matter how many times you hit her she never died from that specific move. If you tried to trade punches with her maybe one out of 10 would hit and than she'd beat you down (she was too quick with the whip). Maybe it wasn't a bug but none of my mates got past her too way, way to frustrating.
That wasn't a bug, that was just 'bad bertha'. I beat the CPC version tons of times. Admitably up until the point Bertha turns up you can just stand against the wall and back kick and the enemy would walk into you one at a time like a really bad kung fu movie (apart from the motorbikes on level 2). Then suddenly it got stupidly difficult.

There was a nack to killing Bertha IIRC, It probably did involve the flying kick at just the right moment.