Games ruined by bugs

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:42 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote: A lot of football games have that bug, champ man too, your cheapie top scorer will be worth a quarter of your expensive striker who's only scored 3 goals that season.
Be careful you're not confusing yourself here. Age and the length of contract remaining both seriously affect value. The first because it's the number of useful years you'll get out of them and the second because if they wait they can pick him up free.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:05 pm

The one in Broken Sword on the Game Boy Advance that stops you from progressing after making a certain mistake which is after many hours of play. I challenge anyone who can top this.

stvd

Post by stvd » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:11 pm

Codemasters Snooker game for the Spectrum would often crash as soon as you made your break. :evil:

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:15 pm

Cornelius wrote:The one in Broken Sword on the Game Boy Advance that stops you from progressing after making a certain mistake which is after many hours of play. I challenge anyone who can top this.
Well there's always the bug in Kick Off 96 where the 1st half NEVER ENDS.

llanfeust

Post by llanfeust » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:34 pm

Every game has bugs, no? I even got 'bugged' in Super Mario Bros on the NES. Suddenly I was somewhere in the middle of the brick stones you normally walk on and couldn't move nor jump anymore.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:13 pm

I got very very close to the end of Fantastic Dizy on the Mega Drive, but then left the rope somewhere that you could only get to with the rope. Carried on to (what I thought was) the end of the game, only to find out you HAD to get all the stars and couldn't get the one next to the rope anymore. Was sooo gutted. Never played it since. :( :(
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:17 pm

I remember playing Icewind Dale II for about 3 weeks , the findng one of the items I needed to complete a vital quest had magically disappeared

A known bug I found out later :twisted:
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:40 pm

Dudley wrote:
Elgin_McQueen wrote: A lot of football games have that bug, champ man too, your cheapie top scorer will be worth a quarter of your expensive striker who's only scored 3 goals that season.
Be careful you're not confusing yourself here. Age and the length of contract remaining both seriously affect value. The first because it's the number of useful years you'll get out of them and the second because if they wait they can pick him up free.
The thing is the transfer value of certain players is like in real life & this has happened to me in almost all footie manager games. For example, in one season of FM2007 I'm playing, Steven Gerrard has had a very mediocre season but his value is at 22million quid & rising and he is aged 30 in the game. I bought this promising youngster who plays in Gerrard's position but although he has had an excellent season with 30apps/10 goals + excellent ratings, he is only worth 4.5mill & his value has gone up very little because he is not a big name like Gerrard. It may be a programming fault, but how many times have we seen overrated players given hefty price tags irl.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:00 pm

It's also worth noting in the Champ Man 2 series of games, the second a player hits 30 years of age, his price tag plummits.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:15 pm

This is also true in the CM1 engine.

amidar

Post by amidar » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:24 pm

oli_lar wrote:I remember Hidden and Dangerous was buggy on the PC. Thats the thing about PCs....patches, patches and more patches
I remember that one as well, dont be the last one in the boat.

Nightbreed

Post by Nightbreed » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:42 pm

There is a stupid bug in FIFA 06. One of the first games I played of it, I took a free kick and it whizzed just past the side of the net. Sloppy programming decided that it went in. :shock: :shock: So I was given a 'Goal' when it clearlt was'nt. :P :P
Bring back Thingy and Rockford!!! Zzap 64 liberation front!!! :):):)

spc

Post by spc » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:54 pm

I give you Gauntlet on the C64, also Beach Head 2, on the same format, had a bug which made completing the game easier, but I have forgotten what the bug was exactly

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:01 am

There was a Ninja themed game from Mastertronic for the Spectrum (also the Atari 8 bit, which was much better and it worked...) which used to crash when you got quite far into the game. Drove me up the wall as it was pretty good other than the bug.

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:19 am

A erm..*friend* of mine was trying out that 'Singles 2' game for a um..laugh....yes...If you haven't heard of it before, its basically a not very good version of The Sims with naughty rude 18 rated stuff...you know?... for the kids...

Anyway, this *friend* <cough> soon discovered that when "the Singles" were in bed together having a um..good time, around one in five times one of the 'singles' would suddenly stop moving and lie there completely naked frozen in the act of um..yes..sim...love... making.

Hillariously, the partner would get out of bed and carry on his/her life while the stuck character would remain in bed naked, frozen in this state forever, often with their mouth open and tongue hanging out...their eyes closed and head thrown back. The game would continue, night would turn into day and day into night again, while the frozen single would never return from this unpleasant looking status (their hygene stats would drop to nothing, they would inevitably grow hungry and tired, but they were simply stuck like this) while the world would go on around them FOREVER.

I think there is a warning there for us all.