sexism?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Analog

sexism?

Post by Analog » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:40 pm

thought an interesting discussion was happening in the other thread could spread it out into another thread. do you think there is sexism in gaming? sexual objectification? do you have a problem with it, whats your take on it?

joefish

Re: sexism?

Post by joefish » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:07 pm

In a lot of games themselves - yes, a fair bit. It seems to come and go. Though sexual objectification is not necessarily the same thing as sexism. Are impossibly proportioned macho male characters any better or worse than impossibly proportioned female characters? The argument that the female characters are sexist typically stems from the perception that the majority of players of a particular game are male. If the player population were split 50:50 on gender the argument would fall apart. And though they're popular with women, from a male perspective The Sims games are highly sexist as the male characters' behaviour conforms to a domestic ideal that is unrecognisable to most men. It's not just down to appearance, but roles as well.

Amongst players though - when you include American teenagers with online presences - yes, to a thoroughly disgusting degree.
Last edited by joefish on Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:09 pm

Wonder if recent costume banning at tournaments on Dead or alive has anything to do with this thread?

Dont see them banning the blokes costumes, SEXIST PIGS!!

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:20 pm

DPrinny wrote:Wonder if recent costume banning at tournaments on Dead or alive has anything to do with this thread?
Seriously? That's insane. They're dealing with the problem of disruptive sexist fans by blaming the costume-wearers, rather than banning the loudmouth sexist @rseholes who have problems and cause all the trouble. Just the sort of sick sh*t that beat-em-'up community is famous for.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:38 pm

joefish wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Wonder if recent costume banning at tournaments on Dead or alive has anything to do with this thread?
Seriously? That's insane. They're dealing with the problem of disruptive sexist fans by blaming the costume-wearers, rather than banning the loudmouth sexist @rseholes who have problems and cause all the trouble. Just the sort of sick sh*t that beat-em-'up community is famous for.
A lot of these that are all about anti-sexism in games don't play them in the first place

Im all for more realistic types of people in games but make it a two way thing not just slap a burker on the females and let the blokes with 6 packs and more muscles than brains fanny about in a pair of tight pants, know im bisexual and that but it is a bit off putting

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:50 pm

^ That's not sexism, it's a male power fantasy. Deep down we all yearn to resemble Marcus Fenix.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:50 pm

Define sexism in gaming?

Is there sexism in the industry? Absolutely, its something that happens in all industries.

Is there sexism among gamers? Yup, same again, it happens in all large groups of diverse people.

Is there sexism in games? Not so much. Its hard to be sexist towards a bunch of pixels that has no sex. There may be some objectification of men and women in their presentation, but they are just games. Fantasy. Like all good fantasy, while there is a basis in reality, it need not be defined by an individual's real world beliefs.

Anyone read any of the Gor books? They represent an incredibly sexist alternate world, but they've persisted for decades and are accepted as harmless entertainment. 50 Shades anyone? Massively accepted by the mainstream, yet incredibly sexist and completely objectifies women (terribly written too, it horribly abuses the English language, so much so I couldn't even bring myself to finish it).

I'm happy to accept that if there is sexism in games, it fits into exactly that same harmless category of light entertainment for adults.

If such things bothered me, I'd be far more concerned with all the killing and violence over some misrepresented fake women.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:52 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote: Anyone read any of the Gor books? They represent an incredibly sexist alternate world, but they've persisted for decades and are accepted as harmless entertainment. 50 Shades anyone? Massively accepted by the mainstream, yet incredibly sexist and completely objectifies women (terribly written too, it horribly abuses the English language, so much so I couldn't even bring myself to finish it).
And yet if it was done in someones shed it would be a CSI episode

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:02 pm

Who wants to look like Marcus feenix? He's an ugly f***er!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:06 pm

I wanted to be Sonic as a kid

killbot

Post by killbot » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:10 pm

Sel Feena wrote:^ That's not sexism, it's a male power fantasy. Deep down we all yearn to resemble Marcus Fenix.
Good lord, no.

Is there sexism in gaming? Absolutely yes. That's what you get when an industry ghettoises itself into catering almost exclusively to adolescent males.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:19 pm

^ That Marcus Fenix comment was a joke. ;)

Well, there seems to be something of a new movement of games and developers consciously pushing for something else, and good for them. But I don't feel as though this means developers shouldn't be able to put out what they want, just as critics should then be able to pore over and dissect games without having to put up with abuse.

It can only be good if more types of games and gamers come about, but I reserve the right to enjoy silly, even problematic material alongside meaningful or deeper fare. As I do with comics, movies and television.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:23 pm

I play games because they are games. Couldn't give a toss about underlying bollocks regarding sexism or not enough female leads, gay characters, black, white, green, bald, bearded, transgender, lesbian, etc.etc.

I just want to play the game and enjoy it for what it is.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:15 pm

Lets all go back to the graphics of PONG to please everyone,

Oh wait only white players

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:33 pm

You can find sexism anywhere if you look hard enough, so I'm sure it's in games also.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"