Worst game bundled with a console/computer/whatever

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

learnedrobb

Re: Worst game bundled with a console/computer/whatever

Post by learnedrobb » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:45 pm

Megamixer wrote:I thought Cybermorph was okay when I played it. Nothing special or alluring at all but it was alright.

Pretty sure my PS3 came bundled with some crappy kart racing game that I basically traded in at the till at the same time I was paying for the bundle (I bought Super Street Fighter IV instead). Not 100% sure but it might have been Modnation Racers? Okay probably not the worst bundled game ever but it wasn't a great deal in my eyes.

Also remember buying my Wii and the guy in GAME trying to flog me a bundle that came with Surf's Up. I just looked at him as if to say "do I look like I want to play that?"
Don't think I've ever seen Modnation racers described as "crappy" before.

Anyhow, worst pack in? Altered Beast with the MegaDrive.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:49 pm

learnedrobb wrote:Don't think I've ever seen Modnation racers described as "crappy" before.

Anyhow, worst pack in? Altered Beast with the MegaDrive.
Yeah it was a bad example. I had zero interest in playing it though so on a personal level, it was a bad pack-in game.

Luckily I had a Sonic MD bundle so I didn't have endure Altered Beast until playing it on a compilation years later.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:06 pm

DPrinny wrote:
The Laird wrote: Mattel Intellivision + Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack (yeah that will sell systems)
Im sure the Int came with a load of sports titles, I know mine did when a friend gave me one with a load of carts
Later on (and in Europe) it was bundled with sports titles, starting with Baseball.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:42 pm

Batman & Robin on the game.com

/thread

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:42 pm

The Laird wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:
The Laird wrote:It's purely subjective, but don't think they are even in the same league looks wise, neither did many of the critics of the time. And variety? Really? :shock:

And again F-Zero and Club Drive are totally different games, so it's pointless comparing them, it's apples and oranges. Also Club Drive is utter crap.
Yes more variety. Have you actually played through Starfox.

I have, and I have alos played Cybermorph quite a bit and its pretty much the same thing constantly.
Yep and I have completed CyberMorph, which I thought had FAR more depth and variation. On-rails shooters are generally very limited by their design.

Anyway, topic de-railed enough, I know it's best not to bring up the Jaguar on this forum so let's leave it at that.
Why? Because it gets no more than what it deserves? I think for most It was nothing more than a total waste of potential, with very few decent games available for it. I think one would have to be a fan of all things Atari to see it differently to be honest. So yeah, you would probably see more love on Atari centric forums.

True story this: When I worked at Calculus I got the "employee of the day" award for managing to persuade a customer to buy one as opposed to a 3DO. The Jag was generally laughed at by all staff members. Set up on display next to the 3DO and Pentium PC's it just looked way inferior.

Edit: On topic, the CPC bundle was indeed shocking, but had one or two gems in there to keep it from being the worst imo. I reckon the worst I've had was probably Altered Beast with the MD, but it was hardly a heart breaker.

Eat your nans pants

ironmonger

Post by ironmonger » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:10 pm

Sega Classics Arcade Collection with the Mega CD. You pay out for a Mega CD and receive a compilation of games which you could have already played on your Mega Drive. Brilliant.

The games themselves are good though.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:14 pm

^Single player Golden Axe

Think the bigger insult was im sure the Mega Drive was also packed with the cart version
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:05 pm

dunno if it was bundled but i had cassette50 with my commodore64

swapped it for spectrum 48k which had 10free games like alchemist and zzooom..imagine games i think they were.

killbot

Post by killbot » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:43 am

The Laird wrote:It's purely subjective, but don't think they are even in the same league looks wise, neither did many of the critics of the time. And variety? Really? :shock:
CyberMorph does look better in some ways - everything has a bit more texture to it and looks a bit more solid. The trade-off is that it does look more muted and less colourful and the draw distance is woeful. It also feels, to me and I've played both, a lot slower though that may be just me.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:48 am

killbot wrote:
CyberMorph does look better in some ways - everything has a bit more texture to it and looks a bit more solid. The trade-off is that it does look more muted and less colourful and the draw distance is woeful. It also feels, to me and I've played both, a lot slower though that may be just me.

I don't think he gets it, something can be technically more impressivem have more textures etc but it means nothing if the design is ugly. Starfox just has a visually more pleasing style.

I remeber Cybermrph getting a few 5/10's back in the day. I think it really is a bit of a pig to look at TBH. Handles horribly, and is just not fun at all and is completely lacking any sort of atmosphere.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:54 am

killbot wrote:
Slower? :shock: Definitely not, CyberMorph is REALLY fast at top speed, in fact almost too fast.
RodimusPrime wrote:
killbot wrote:
I don't think he gets it, something can be technically more impressivem have more textures etc but it means nothing if the design is ugly. Starfox just has a visually more pleasing style.

I remeber Cybermrph getting a few 5/10's back in the day. I think it really is a bit of a pig to look at TBH. Handles horribly, and is just not fun at all and is completely lacking any sort of atmosphere.
I do get it, it's just that my opinion doesn't match yours and you don't like that so keep going on about it even after I asked that we stopped the CyberMorph talk and left it at that.

And also, looking online I found just one review that was 5/10 and that was from well known Jag haters EGM (you know the ones who claimed 32X Doom was superior to the Jag one even though it's a gimped port of the Jag version) nearly all the reviews from back in the day praised it getting a great review from Edge, game of the month from Game Fan, game of show at CES, 9/10 from Game Informer etc.

Anyway, enough of the CyberMorph chat, it really is getting very boring. We have different opinions on the game, let's leave it at that please.

killbot

Post by killbot » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:58 am

The Laird wrote:
killbot wrote:
Slower? :shock: Definitely not, CyberMorph is REALLY fast at top speed, in fact almost too fast.
I'll defer to you on that one since I haven't played CyberMorph for probably 15 years and my memory of it may be shaky.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:25 am

tux wrote:Im sure i got Days Of Thunder with my Amiga? Its the slowest driving game i have ever played, boarder line unplayable. Nearly made me fire my Atari 65xe straight back up and pack my box fresh 16bit machine away!
Days of Thunder on the Amiga was truly dire. Without a doubt the worst commercial game that I played during my many years of Amiga ownership. Fortunately I'd played many better games before being subjected to that one. I don't know what I would have done had that been my first ever experience of Amiga gaming.

Incidentally, my first Amiga game was Return to Atlantis. It was slow, ugly and confusing. A massive disappointment for me. But still better than Days of Thunder.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:49 am

c0nfu53d wrote:As mentioned already the CPC Amsoft bundle is largely aweful with Bridge It being the worst. Or so I've been told - I can't remember ever being able to get it to load. Gotta be thankful for small mercies I guess!

Oh god, not Bridge It. I got that, Animal, Vegetable, Mineral, Xanagrams, Timeman One, and Fruit Machine in my Amsoft bundle. Thank god for Harrier Attack, Oh Mummy, Roland in the Caves and Roland on the Ropes otherwise I might have given up on computer games at the first attempt. My Amiga 500+ was the Cartoon Classics bundle, which came with the horrible conversion of Bart vs the Space Mutants that was worse than the NES version and the confusing and rock hard Captain Planet, which had great music but explained NOTHING about what you were supposed to do- (oh so I headbutt all this toxic waste, then I get in the Geo Flyer, collect ozone from a leaky pipe above a bloke who is proportionally the size of a skyscraper, fix the ozone layer with it, then shoot polar bears off clouds so they can run along the ozone layer to the north pole? Makes sense...) Luckily it had Lemmings too.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:01 pm

I would nominate Crystball on the Quickshot Supervision too. Slow, blurry and with worse ball physics than that Cowboy rape game on the 2600...
Going Solo...................