Worst game bundled with a console/computer/whatever

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Slackdog

Worst game bundled with a console/computer/whatever

Post by Slackdog » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:01 am

Euro countries and capitals in the atari exchange a contender - though rather clever in using audio as it loaded.
What was more amazing to me was the challenge of making it work on the less capable Commodore 64. It was a real nightmare implementation, but I did it. - Archer Maclean

The Laird

Re: Worst game bundled with a console/computer/whatever

Post by The Laird » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:33 am

There were 6 pretty crap games bundled with the Spectrum +2a.

I seem to remember my friend got some right crap with his CPC too, especially Animal, Vegetable, Mineral. All we used to do with that is try to get the computer to guess poo.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:05 am

The Laird wrote:There were 6 pretty crap games bundled with the Spectrum +2a.

I seem to remember my friend got some right crap with his CPC too, especially Animal, Vegetable, Mineral. All we used to do with that is try to get the computer to guess poo.
Animal vegetable mineral was barley a game. There was a lot of censored came bundled with the CPC. Loved harrier attack though.

I laways thought some of the the Amiga bundles usually had a stinker or 2 in there.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:22 am

Altered Beast with the Mega Drive obviously.
Going Solo...................

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:17 am

I remember being gutted at the crap version i got of pacman with my Atari 2600.

And have to agree on half the cpc 464 amisoft games.Although oh mummy was ace especially the catchy music.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:57 am

Action Max got bundled with some flight sim game

game.com was bundled with Batman and Robin

Mega CD was bundled with Road avenger
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:57 am

For a machine that was meant to be demonstrating the power of 64 bit gaming, Cybermorph looked awful.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:12 am

The Laird wrote:There were 6 pretty crap games bundled with the Spectrum +2a.

Didn't the cpc come with a bundle that amstrad claimed was worth £200 or something. ..? That was horrible. ..We sold the games separately too... I still feel guilty about how many Christmases I ruined...
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

stvd

Post by stvd » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:13 am

Can't remember all of the games that came with my Spectrum but Make a Chip and Survival were only loaded up once.

tux

Post by tux » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:22 pm

Im sure i got Days Of Thunder with my Amiga? Its the slowest driving game i have ever played, boarder line unplayable. Nearly made me fire my Atari 65xe straight back up and pack my box fresh 16bit machine away!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:42 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:For a machine that was meant to be demonstrating the power of 64 bit gaming, Cybermorph looked awful.
Really? Sorry but I find this comment bizarre. At the time (1993) there was nothing like CyberMorph around, hence why it won loads of awards.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:44 pm

The Amsoft bundle that came with our 464 is one of those things that nostalgia won't let me say a bad word against. Sure some games are a little naff but the sheer thought of them takes me back to sitting with my dad in our old house playing them.

Love Harrier Attack because its the first game i ever played and and Galactic Plague. Oh, and Roland In The Caves.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:42 pm

The Laird wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:For a machine that was meant to be demonstrating the power of 64 bit gaming, Cybermorph looked awful.
Really? Sorry but I find this comment bizarre. At the time (1993) there was nothing like CyberMorph around, hence why it won loads of awards.
I'm not saying it was a poor game, just that it didn't look great, especially considering it was supposedly demonstrating the power of 64 bit console gaming.

As for nothing like it; well, Star Fox was released several months earlier, and looked much better. Obviously not free-form, but Zarch was released in 1987, and there were tons of flight sims on the Amiga.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:58 pm

The Laird wrote:
I have to admit I dont like Cybermorph. its boring and IMO not fun at all.

There may have been nothing like it, but just because it was unique does not make it good. I think Starfox was stylistically far more appealing and far better in terms of actual fun.

It may have got awards but I honestly think that was solely down the fact that technically it was quite impressive, certainly not for the gameplay.

In fact if I recall it had more than its fair share of bad reviews at launch, as well as some good ones. I dare say the bad ones were more realistic as its reputation has gone downhill with hindsight.

Certainly not the worst pack in game ever though.

killbot

Post by killbot » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:45 pm

The Laird wrote:
It did look a bit smoother than StarWing or Virtua Racing, but did it look better enough to convince people that they should spend 250 quid on a Jag rather than stick with their 16 bit machine and wait for the Saturn, PlayStation or N64? I'd argue for most people the answer is no.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360