Favourite Tekken?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Combo-Breaker

Favourite Tekken?

Post by Combo-Breaker » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:11 pm

Which is it and why?

Megamixer

Re: Favourite Tekken?

Post by Megamixer » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:26 pm

Tekken 2. Great gameplay and the best stages/music in the series for me. The arranged BGM is seriously special with tracks such as Kazuya, Devil, Jun, Yoshimitsu and Nina's stages not being topped by the OST's of later games.

After T2 my other favourites (in order) are:

Tekken 3
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Tekken Dark Resurrection
Tekken 5
Tekken Tag Tournament

4 and 6 are solid games but the former offers nothing for me to go back to (aside from a few great BGM tracks) and 6 had some horrible bosses, bad load times on PS3 and forgettable music/stages. The original game is a classic but hard to go back to after playing Tekken 2. It does have some great arranged music though which was re-used in Tekken 2.

The GBA game is alright for what it is and does a decent job of aping Tekken 3 on limited hardware.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:55 pm

Tekken 3.

It's the one and only Tekken game I really got stuck into. I dunno why, it just drew me in. The intro was amazing and the characters were all interesting. I wasn't into Tekken before I discovered 3, I lumped it in with Virtua Fighter as "too realistic", but obviously 3 changed that! :lol:

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:25 pm

I think 3 is my favourute, just seemed to be awesome. But 2 has a special place in my collection, one of the first games I remember getting.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:05 am

Tekken 2 for me. I love that angular polygon look that a lot of PS1 games have.

DaveDoc1984

Post by DaveDoc1984 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:08 am

Tekken 2 is my favourite out of all of them. Just love the array of characters and also love the music in the game.

Tekken 3 is a close 2nd as graphically its on another level compared to Tekken 2 but for some reason I always go back to T2 when I need my Tekken fix!.

Then its Tag Tournament on the Sony PlayStation 2. Love the tag aspect and also love the vast array of characters on offer :)
In to Retro Gaming Pickup's? Light hearted reviews of both Modern Day and Retro Video Games? Check out my YouTube Channel!

http://www.youtube.com/DaveDoc1984
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1ESj3JPPnT

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:26 am

Tekken 2 by a mile. I played that game soooooo much, then my next fav is 3. 1 will always be remembered for the reason it was the first game I played on my playstation after upgrading from my megadrive and just being blown away.

After 3 I got very bored with the series and never really got back into it.

Analog

Post by Analog » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:54 pm

3 for me, recently went back to 2 as I hadn't played for a very long time and it is a wonderful game, jun is a great character and I also liked the boss stage probably one of the best boss stages in the series. 2 is definitely up there as a favourite.
3 edges it for me though, the additional modes, the soundtrack, I really liked the backdrops too. stylistically the characters had an upgrade which I thought was pretty cool and relevant. also law's voice in 2, while it was incredibly distinctive I liked the change to it in 3.
aside from ttt I don't think the series has been hitting the highs it did in the 90's. I still enjoy the games though, I don't think they've ever made a really terrible tekken, just some ones which are good/ok.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:17 pm

Tekken 2 easily. It was a big improvement on the original and the music and stages were outstanding.

I gave up on the series after Tekken 3.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:37 pm

theantmeister wrote:Tekken 3.

It's the one and only Tekken game I really got stuck into.
Same here. Tekken 3 was the "it" fighter back then. I was a N64 fanboy at the time but I have to admit the PlayStation destroyed it in terms of fighting games (I view Smash Bros. as more of a "party brawler" than a serious fighter).

I've heard positive things about Tekken 5 but I didn't play it and I kinda lost interest in the series afterwards (I'm more of a Virtua Fighter fan).

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:39 pm

The control change from tekken 2 to 3 does tend to put some people off, and remain with 2 as their favourite.

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:45 pm

Tekken 3 for me by far. Tekken 2 has the best soundtrack though, the Devil/Angel music's just haunting. Brilliant stuff.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:11 am

look at it sideways wrote:Tekken 3 for me by far. Tekken 2 has the best soundtrack though, the Devil/Angel music's just haunting. Brilliant stuff.
The best thing about Tag 2 is that you can download and use most of the OST's from Tekken through to Tekken 6 and customise the stages. I have 'Be in the Mirror' (Devil/Angel) on the frozen castle stage and had a great time trying to find the best fitting stages for my other favourite tracks.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:03 am

I have two. Firstly it was Tekken tag Team simply because it was like a greatest hits of Tekken 1,2 and 3 and then it would have to be Tekken Tag Team 2 for similar reason with regards to the newer Tekken games. There is a huge ammount of content in TTT2. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:40 pm

Tekken 2 was the best by far, Tekken Tag was enjoyable but the series peaked at Tekken 2