Peter Molyneux Interview

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

HalcyonDaze00

Re: Peter Molyneux Interview

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:28 pm

nothing wrong with the opening question, it actually resulted in a very open exchange.

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:35 pm

Considering how Molyneux has made false promises or said false things about his games without realizing his error asking him if he is a pathological liar is a fair question.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:42 pm

GigaPepsiMan wrote:Considering how Molyneux has made false promises or said false things about his games without realizing his error asking him if he is a pathological liar is a fair question.

I'd broadly agree as he has gotten away with it for far too long with non one calling him to task. I doubt you'd be able to pull the same thing in many other industries

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:36 am

outdated_gamer wrote:The man is a visionary and a dreamer. Does that equate to "pathological liar" ? I think there needs not to be added more. I do think Lionhead should have stayed a PC-centric studio though. The MS buy out and console-centric development did them no favours at all. Likewise, mobile-centric development also has no lasting appeal, even for an independant developer with limited budget.
Yes. When you repeatedly 'dream' and fail to deliver. Also I can't remember the last time he did anything that could be classed as 'visionary'.

Miyamoto is a visionary and a dreamer. Only he is sensible enough not to promise things in his games. He only reveals what he wanted after so not to censored people off.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:43 am

Yes, you should definitely be using the past tense when applying superlatives to Molyneux.

Still, what a hack job of an interview. It's small wonder that hardly any top developers will speak candidly to the gaming press and tend to see that as an onerous duty to be dealt with by their publisher's marketing department.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:09 am

The reason most top developers aren't candid in interviews is because they'd have to admit the latest game they've been hyping the arse off is actually average, derivative and overpriced. The game industry runs on bull of the highest order. That Molyneaux actually stands out in such a sea of bullshitters shows how bad he is. "Visionary dreamer" isn't a phrase I'd use for the bloke.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:38 pm

in fairness, Miyamoto is also a gobsh1te

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:42 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:in fairness, Miyamoto is also a gobsh1te
Such as? I bet you can't even give 5 examples where he has promised stuff that he didn't deliver on.
(i'm genuinely interested as he's never come across as a gobshite as you so eloquently put it).

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:49 pm

I do feel sorry for the "winner" looks like that guy will be getting F all :( I enjoyed Molyneux games back in the Amiga days but now, well he dreams BIG and delivers small.
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:05 pm

i think we have to make a big difference of several facts

if his Kickstarter has failed to do what he has promised (meaning taking customers money on the promise of delivering A and then not delivering A but B instead), then he is in fault and should be confronted or even punished for it

i personally don't have a problem with over-promising as long as my money ISN'T involved in it, i only buy games when they are complete

the man has been responsible for some of the most amazing games on PC, so that deserves some respect (i think the reviewer tries to shock a little to much) but if he has taken money from customers with lies, that's something he should be accounted for

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:50 am

I really don't get all this immense hate for a games designer? Its absurd and extremely petty.

So he may have over-promised certain elements and features of a few games, but this guy created Dungeon Keeper (one of my all time favourite games), Populous, Fable and Black & White amongst others. I liked all of these games, including Black & White.

People commenting so negatively and derogatorily about Molyneux on here sound so bitter and angry. I don't know why people are so intense and vitriolic, since we are talking about just videogames - he's not a politician who promised the electorate that he wouldn't go to war, then go back on his word. Get a grip, people!

Maybe the most prudent advice is that for any new Peter Molyneux game coming out in future, either don't buy it, or wait for a review instead of going bat-s**t crazy about someone who has contributed many positives to the industry. I thought the interviewer was very unprofessional, and had I been Molyneux, I would have walked out.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:35 pm

That was pretty brutal.

I only know Peter from the Amiga years, so he's always been a top bloke to me.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:32 pm

I don't really know where to begin on that article.

I wish him the best, not my kind of game maker, but at the end of the day he is passionate and a dreamer. Can't knock a man down for that.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:36 pm

You can when it costs people their money.

I don't hate the guy at all. But he needed this to happen a long time ago. Kickstarter also need some form of regulation too.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:26 pm

Having done a Kickstarter, and backed many, I see both sides of the coin. Ultimately it is a gamble, Kickstarter can not regulate this, not easily anyway. When doing a project, ask for the minimum amount you need - rule 1. if you're funding a new idea anyway.

He has been in a position where he is working with people who are almost certainly yes men(and women) who say xx can be done. He then creates the hype, then 5 months later said thing can not be done due to technical barriers. Flip side, he may just be making it up and the dev team cry a little every time.

What I would really like to see, and if he can do this is a proof of where KS money was spent. If he can show £500k of spending, then he can prove he's made a good effort, but just through all of his wisdom not quite budgeted.