Peter Molyneux Interview

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Negative Creep

Peter Molyneux Interview

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:08 pm

Has anyone seen the interview he gave to Rock Paper Shotgun? I've not been following the story of his latest game, Godus, but by all accounts it's the usual tale of failed promises and is seemingly being abandoned despite meeting its kickstarter funding. It's lengthy, but well worth a read and pulls absolutely no punches

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02 ... ckstarter/

Sel Feena

Re: Peter Molyneux Interview

Post by Sel Feena » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:36 pm

Asking someone questions such as 'Are you a pathological liar' is gutter journalism. There are better ways to take someone to task than using bellend tactics like that.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:01 pm

Sel Feena wrote:Asking someone questions such as 'Are you a pathological liar' is gutter journalism. There are better ways to take someone to task than using bellend tactics like that.

To open with a question like that was pretty shitty IMO.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:29 pm

I found myself agreeing more with him than the interviewer.

People have unrealistic expectations of Kickstarter; things like how much a game will cost, how long it takes to make, and whether the end result will be any good or not aren't easily predictable, after all. And, for all the good games that crowd funding has brought us we've also had a heck of a lot of lemons; for that reason I'd only tend to have anything to do with ones that just need finishing off, and leave backing the blue-sky development to those of a more optimistic bent.

Anyway, my wife enjoyed Godus for a while, although I don't think she ever spent money on it. It'd perhaps be a better game without the obvious pay-to-win mechanics, but there are a heck of a lot of games you can say that about these days.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:35 pm

I was always under the Impression that Kickstarter was just that, a way to create funds and kickstart a project.

I always thought it was well known that you were taking a risk that the project may A) may go over budget and stall, B) face problems such as long delays, and C) be abandoned all together.

Hundreds of Kickstarter projects have ended up that way, I thought everyone was aware that by funding it you were under no guarentee that the game was going to be finished.

May just be me, but thats always how I saw it.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:56 pm

I visit RPS daily as it is usually a pretty good PC gaming site. Peter Molyneux used to be a god in gaming but has fallen a long way since his heyday. BUT that interview was really quite horrible.

Yes there are questions to ask - maybe the interviewer should grow some and actually go visit him in person and ask those questions. We comment on forum warriors that spout their mouths off in text - he is just doing it by phone.

I'm not even a fan of Molyneux games. Lets hope that he gets his team to finish Godus off asap and that he says nothing in future about game content and eta's!!!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:35 am

Sel Feena wrote:Asking someone questions such as 'Are you a pathological liar' is gutter journalism. There are better ways to take someone to task than using bellend tactics like that.
Absolutely. Arrogant as well...should have ended the interview there. You should not have to deal with crap like that from Hacks

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:59 am

Its an interesting question, but phrased aggresively, certainly not an opening gambit.

He does have a point though. After 30 years of doing it, you'd think Molyneux would know to double any estimate he makes and not to spout his wishful thinking over reality.

Is he a liar? I'm inclined to think not, I think he just gets excited and carried away with potentials at an early stage. It doesn't do him any favours when he keeps repeating that mistake though.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:07 am

I dunno, in an age of corporate business-speak and pre-approved statements, I find Molyneux's over-the-top promises refreshing. And I totally believe him when he says he believes everything he says will happen will happen (even if, a lot of the time, it doesn't :lol: ).

Still, I didn't invest in Godus. If I had, I might feel different about it.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:58 am

Molyneaux's a complete arse and deserves whatever crap he gets. It's refreshing to see an interviewer actually get stuck in for a change. Too many game interviews are just nothing more than glorified PR releases these days. Reviews and previews are the same.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:06 am

Molyneux had it coming considering what he has pulled with Godus and the Curiosity Cube.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:11 am

The RPS interview was poorly done, which is a shame as they are generally a very good PC website.
I think Walker was annoyed that Eurogamer beat them to the punch regarding the state of Godus and the whole God of Gods fiasco.
The Eurogamer article on Molyneux/22 Cans from a few days earlier is a much better piece of journalism. It really shows them up for how they treated the winner of their Curiosity thing, look it up if you haven't already read it.

Bullfrog were one of my favourite developers in their Amiga/early PC pomp. Nowdays I think Molyneux is full of crap and have no time for him.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:17 am

The Beans wrote:Molyneaux's a complete arse and deserves whatever crap he gets. It's refreshing to see an interviewer actually get stuck in for a change. Too many game interviews are just nothing more than glorified PR releases these days. Reviews and previews are the same.
There's a difference between getting stuck in and asking piercing questions, and acting like a petulant nob.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:22 am

The Beans wrote:Molyneaux's a complete arse and deserves whatever crap he gets. It's refreshing to see an interviewer actually get stuck in for a change. Too many game interviews are just nothing more than glorified PR releases these days. Reviews and previews are the same.
Bang on. Over 10 years of constant lies pretty much since Black and White. Yes it was harsh but I feel that is partly because he deserves it and party because the industry finally needs to kick back against all the rubbish in the past ten years or so.

Molyneux is a nobody though. Will a journalist take this stance against the likes of EA etc?

No.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:19 pm

The man is a visionary and a dreamer. Does that equate to "pathological liar" ? I think there needs not to be added more. I do think Lionhead should have stayed a PC-centric studio though. The MS buy out and console-centric development did them no favours at all. Likewise, mobile-centric development also has no lasting appeal, even for an independant developer with limited budget.