Yooka-Laylee [Banjo-Kazooie spiritual successor]

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Grizzly

Re: Yooka-Laylee [Banjo-Kazooie spiritual successor]

Post by Grizzly » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:02 pm

rocky1980 wrote:As a KS backer not happy that the game has been all over the net for days now because the 'press' got there hands on it first. Yet the people that made it happen are still waiting to play it
They just handed codes out to backers today.

As for the toy box, haven't checked but I'm on PS4
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:35 am

Well its out today, I have used my Xone code. So time to see for myself
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:17 am

Grizzly wrote:
rocky1980 wrote:As a KS backer not happy that the game has been all over the net for days now because the 'press' got there hands on it first. Yet the people that made it happen are still waiting to play it

Wait how are you playing it on PS4? It's not out till tomorrow!?!

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:46 am

Gigifusc wrote:
Grizzly wrote:

I'm writing a review for Playstationcountry (signature), Code was provided by Team 17 for this purpose.
I write for...

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:57 am

Grizzly wrote:As a KS backer not happy that the game has been all over the net for days now because the 'press' got there hands on it first. Yet the people that made it happen are still waiting to play it

I'm writing a review for Playstationcountry (signature), Code was provided by Team 17 for this purpose.
Ahh, I see. I thought I'd missed it all for a minute!

Am I allowed to ask? Thumbs up or thumbs down? :)

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:14 am

Gigifusc wrote:
Grizzly wrote:As a KS backer not happy that the game has been all over the net for days now because the 'press' got there hands on it first. Yet the people that made it happen are still waiting to play it

Ahh, I see. I thought I'd missed it all for a minute!

Am I allowed to ask? Thumbs up or thumbs down? :)
Thumbs up, but with a few setbacks that appear to be being fixed. Will have my review up later today.
I write for...

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:12 am

Was able to load it up today (came in the post a day late) ive enjoyed the first world thus far but then checked the stats and my god its 3 times bigger then i expected!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:35 am

Ok, spent a couple of hours playing this game (PS4 version) and so far I'm really enjoying it. I guess it helps that so few fully 3D platformers exist (I can't remember the last one I played, I guess Ratchet and Clank but that's not really much of a platformer, more of a lite platformer with tons of action).

Basically the game is Banjo Kazooie. The characters, art style, humor, music (and music transitions), power ups etc. It couldn't be much closer to BK if it tried. And that's a good thing, as I really like the series so I instantly felt at home in the game.

Only played world 1 so far, expanded the world so that I could get more pagies (jiggies). Got 14/25 so far I think in the first world but I feel I'm short of powerups to be able to get many/any more so I'm heading to World 2 to unlock more power ups.

Really the only things I have issues with so far are the camera (a bit finicky at times) and the roll move when trying to do precise platforming (do it slowly, don't rush). Otherwise it seems like a really solid platformer that is incredibly colourful and very fun. Can't wait to get back to it.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:25 pm

Only thing about the first level i disliked was thw transformation. The ant in BK was really cool for the first level. The one on this was a tad weird.

Enjoying the banter in-game as well woth Yooka being the nice one and Laylee as sarcastic as Kazooie was!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:57 pm

Ok, onto World 3 I go. I've managed to find most of the collectables in the first two worlds and I'll go back to them later to hunt for the last few. I loved some of the things they did in the second world, especially when you expand the level (a great nod to old Ultimate titles). I can definitely see me going for 100% in this game just like I did for Banjo Kazooie back in the day...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:45 am

I've hit world 2 but that was where i had to stop. I expanded the first world and got a few more pagies. Nowhere near 100% but i think ive obtained all the non-expanded version quills.

I like some of the characters, full of the old charm. Rextro is quite amusing being stuck in the past!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:49 pm

I've cleared the first three worlds now with most of the collectables. I'm still really loving this game, it feels like it hits the sweet spot of having enough to have you revisit the levels like in Banjo Tooie, but having the pagies more straight forward to find so its nowhere near as confusing to play as the later Tooie levels (Grunty Industries still haunts my dreams).

The game looks pretty darn nice in places as well, very bright and colourful with some nice lighting.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:51 am

Ok. All 5 worlds are complete now (as well as the hub area), the only thing I've got left to do is to beat the final boss. Level 4 seems like the low point in the game in some regards, a couple of naff puzzles and an over reliance on slot machines as opposed to unique puzzles was a tad disappointing but world 5 is amazing and completely makes up for any short fall in quality the previous world had.

My only complaint with the powerups you get is that the final one (not going to spoil it) pretty much breaks the earlier levels in terms of challenge (it makes the game way too easy) so if you don't want to spoil the game I'd suggest clearing out worlds 1-3 as much as possible before hand (its really useful for traversing world 4 though). Conversely if your having a hard time in certain platform sections just leave them and return at the end of the game to easily finish them!

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:01 am

Ive now extended world 2 and gotten most of the pafies there. Now i have to search for the world 3 entrance.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:15 am

All done with the game now. Had a couple of issues with the final boss (those damn bees in the final phase...) but otherwise I really enjoyed the game. Its worth going after the health and power bar collectables before doing the final fight just so your powered up enough. I've now managed to get the platinum trophy on the PS4 version, only stuff I had problems finding was the pirate collectables as they are insanely well hidden.