Yooka-Laylee [Banjo-Kazooie spiritual successor]

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

outdated_gamer

Re: Yooka-Laylee [Banjo-Kazooie spiritual successor]

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:47 pm

New trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1gxLvbX3Ow

Edit: and delayed, The Beans beat me by a minute or two :wink:

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:30 pm

Bit of a drama going on currenty - famous YouTube personality "Jon Tron" had his voice acting removed from the game due to "racist" views:

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/23/150399 ... -playtonic

Can't say this affects me in the slightests as I don't care about "Jon Tron" but it's a bit funny seeing all the "alt right" kids calling for a boycott of the game due to the move. I guess it's their loss, since the game is shaping up to be a true successor of the old Banjo games with a modern coat of paint.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:07 am

Well some people are not happy at this "Jon Tron" mess, they are calling Playtonic "pushovers" for removing him. I could not care less ether way. However I did google and look on YT for "Jon Tron" - I wish had not. Its a videos with Alt-Right and SJW in the titles :( All i want to do is play the game, is that so wrong now or do we need to research the political standpoint of everyone who is involved in a game before we are "allowed" to play it or not
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:49 am

Most of the current ill will towards the game stems from the actions of the mods on the playtonic forums immediately after the announcement. There was a lot of folk asking for refunds and wanting to cancel pre-orders. The mods starting banning them and deleting posts. Not exactly the best response to people who were already cheesed off enough to no longer want the game.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:04 am

I made this comment on another forum, so it seems appropriate to put here...
Kickstarter isn't a pre-order shop, it's a way to help fund a project. The project is going ahead and being delivered. There's nothing at issue here. I can't see why refunds should be given for a project that is proceeding according to KS rules and isn't in jeopardy. If you want a refund just because JonTron isn't on board any more, or because you object to the company removing him due to highly dubious spouted views, maybe you need to look at yourself instead.
As for the banning and deleting posts on the forum, I guess that's entirely down to how said people expressed said views. Perfectly agree with the actions if it involved abuse, swearing and/or irrational anger.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:27 am

Mayhem wrote:As for the banning and deleting posts on the forum, I guess that's entirely down to how said people expressed said views. Perfectly agree with the actions if it involved abuse, swearing and/or irrational anger.
The mods just piled in and deleted any post that was asking for a refund. Then they starting banning people. The two main threads full of abuse from whining jontron fans were inexplicably left standing for quite a while. After a few hours wiser heads prevailed and folk who were demanding money back were directed to Support etc. By that point there was a lot of rage knocking about. There still is. Playtonic could have handled it better.

Me, I'm not fussed by any of it. Early suggestions are that the game isn't so hot. We'll know more when the embargo lifts. With or without this jontron bloke, if the game's any good I'll buy it and if it's mediocre I probably won't buy it.

The reason I don't back Kickstarter projects or pay up front for pre-orders or buy dlc season passes is because it removes your ability to withold money if a product turns out to be crap (if it even turns up at all).

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:27 am

The thing is. I can see why people are getting so uppity about it but lets be honest here. I think we can all agree that Playtonic did not want any of this to happen. It wasn't so much a decision to remove Jontron from the game but a necessity, They either leave him in and people associate them with a racist tirade, or they take him out and suffer the wrath of SJW's an oppurtunists.

As for the refund situation, people are going about it all the wrong way. For preorders they can simply cancel at their leisure with whoever provided the preorder in the first place, It's certainly not up to Playtonic to provide a refund. For Kickstarter that is a different kettle of fish. What people need to realise here is that they didn't pledge to preorder a game, they pledged money to make the game exist. This, with the reward of a game should the project be successful. By willingly sending money through Kickstarter they are opening themselves up to these kind of things happening. Likewise, they can't pull the Jontron card as his inclusion was never advertised as being a feature of the game (to my knowledge and i don't take shorthand on social media as advertising). Regardless of the pledgers intentions and desires, that's not what they paid money for.

Is it within Playtonics means to offer a refund? Well there is a possibility of that being the case, but in the end why should they? This is a harsh decision that Playtonic have to make that walks the very thin rope of being consumer friendly and being profitable.

That's the equivalent of a customer buying a wired headset and then complaining that it won't connect via Bluetooth to their radio system. The company never advertised the feature or even squeaked about it being possible. Should the customer get a refund beyond the 'change of mind' grace period? The answer should be no, it's up to the company to act otherwise. The customer should certainly not feel like they are entitled to one.

As for the game itself. Can't wait. Even if it turns out to be slightly disappointing i will still glean some level of enjoyment out of it. It's exactly the kind of game i have been wanting for years now.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:24 pm

Well the game is out soon, lets just hope it good (there are rumours that it is not )
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:31 pm

even if the game does not live up to (inflated) expectations, I have nothing but admiration for the bunch of guys who made this game, they did it themselves godamit!

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:01 pm

Who the f**k is jontron?

These youtuber clowns are not celebrities in my eyes... I guess i'm just too old.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:13 pm

Yeah, they're not real celebrities, they're e-celebs. What they lack in numbers of fans they make up for by having a hard core of utter nutjobs among them.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:33 pm

rocky1980 wrote:Well the game is out soon, lets just hope it good (there are rumours that it is not )
Those rumours mostly steem from supposed framerate issues in the console versions which are apparently due to using Unity Engine, which is not well optimized for console systems (i.e. not supportive of heavy multi-threading as game code has to be on the consoles due to their slow but more core CPUs). On the other hand, you have individuals who feel like it's a concept that would be better left in the past, which is, imo, nonsensical. Open world sandboxy design with adventure elements is what the logical progression to the old Mario 64 formula should have been, not a bigger linearization and "2.5D"-ishness of level design and gameplay.

Anyway, "Toy Box" ran fine for me so as a PC gamer I'm unconcerned about performance issues. This will be a proper 3D platformer after a long while and more true to the Banjo formula as Nuts N Bolts was.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:29 am

Yooka-Laylee 64 Rap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mSzJj1c1z0

It's well made and deserves a thumb up for wittiness.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:27 pm

Reviews are coming in and the reception is mixed. I'll be waiting for a price drop that coincides with me being in the mood for old school frustrations. It looks like fans of Banjo Kazooie who want exactly more of the same can dive straight in though.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:48 pm

VERY mixed reviews! Interesting to see a title divide opinion quite so drastically.

From the gameplay footage I've seen, it looks right up my alley. If you squint your eyes, you'd swear you were looking at Banjo-Kazooie 3, which is basically all I wanted this to be. Desperate to play it but I'm going to wait for the Switch release later this year.