Yooka-Laylee [Banjo-Kazooie spiritual successor]

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

outdated_gamer

Yooka-Laylee [Banjo-Kazooie spiritual successor]

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:43 pm

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/rare-s ... 0-6425232/

First pre-render pic is out:

http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/ign ... -game_.jpg

Note that this will not be an actual B-K game but more a spiritual successor with new characters and everything. It's not being done by the official Rare either but by an independant group called Playtonic. I'm quite excited even at this early stage since B-K was easily one of the best adventure-style 3D platformers ever made, with a more than decent follow up. While the platformer genre may have seen a resurgence in the recent few years, let me be the first one to state that the "2D sidescroller fad" could make some room for the more "open" and exploration-driven 3D platformers of old, which the N64 Banjo games most certainly were. While this particular sub-genre of platformers may kind of live on in action/adventure games like Assassin's Creed, Batman Arkham and even GTA in modern times, some of us would still like to see a return to the "cutesy" themes we used to like back then.
Last edited by outdated_gamer on Sat May 02, 2015 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misery

Re: Banjo-Kazooie to return?

Post by Misery » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:07 pm

I'd LOVE to see this happen.

Something like Assassin's Creed, Batman Arkham Something.... others might disagree, but those arent even CLOSE to platformers to me, nor to they provide me any of the fun that those did. Or challenge, for that matter. I dont care about "mature" VS "cutesy", I mean the gameplay itself isnt even close. As a rule I dont enjoy this sort one bit.

Banjo-Kazooie was superb, as was it's sequel, and.... many other 3D platformers around that time. I'd love to see more such games, regardless of platform. Well, almost regardless of platform, I wont buy the XBone or Vita.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:32 pm

Misery wrote:I wont buy the XBone or Vita.
Every single post :lol:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:49 pm

Misery wrote:I'd LOVE to see this happen.

Something like Assassin's Creed, Batman Arkham Something.... others might disagree, but those arent even CLOSE to platformers to me, nor to they provide me any of the fun that those did. Or challenge, for that matter. I dont care about "mature" VS "cutesy", I mean the gameplay itself isnt even close. As a rule I dont enjoy this sort one bit.

Banjo-Kazooie was superb, as was it's sequel, and.... many other 3D platformers around that time. I'd love to see more such games, regardless of platform. Well, almost regardless of platform, I wont buy the XBone or Vita.
I ment more the open-worldish approach, the adventuring elements, the overall vastness. This was somewhat lost in the platformer genre in the recent few years. Super Mario 3D World, as good as it is, is also more of a "SMW in 3D" than a continuation of the more open nature of SM64 and Sunshine. It's pretty amazing to think they did those huge levels with tons of stuff to do on a tiny N64 cartridge with only 4-8 megabytes of memory. I agree with you, I don't really care about Ass. Creed, Batman, GTA, ect. either, but I still enjoy a good 3D platformer. The problem is just they are somewhat scarce these days. Outside of Mario, there's not really any choices out there, sans for maybe Tearaway on the Vita and soon-to-be PS4. Anyway, the original devs returning is almost a dream comming true and while the platforms it will be on aren't confirmed yet, we can almost certainly bet it will see the Wii U, giving that little system all the more reasons to own it. But if it turns out to be a multi-format title, including PC, it would also be nice since more people would get to enjoy it. Here's some nostalgic music from B-K/B-T, seeing as the original composer is returning so we can expect more catchy tunes in that vein:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1DnbEUnFYw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DQfnj33-QU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7jJH1Dpiw8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFmzz4vMiLY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUgja4wkAO8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1cRQRdg62E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGPncRJWcJc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjoWbFB4BTE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHT5LP3D96w

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:31 pm

Only if they don't get TOO mad on collectibles. Tooie was more or less Backtracking: The Videogame.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:38 pm

ALK wrote:Only if they don't get TOO mad on collectibles. Tooie was more or less Backtracking: The Videogame.
I think that's more a matter of taste. Personally, I liked the tons of collectibles the game offered, as well as the tons of mini-games it had going for. I can see how some didn't like though. I think key is to limit the amount of items needed to progress further while at the same time offering those of us who like collecting stuff optional collecting that unlocks new and/or hidden parts of levels and such.

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:37 pm

Perhaps, but I thought Kazooie got the size and collecting balance just right. At times, Tooie was too big in level and hub size to be look for certain collectibles you maybe missing or need to progress further.

But just my opinion. That and I played the first game a lot more then the second probably has something to do with it.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:32 pm

ALK wrote:Perhaps, but I thought Kazooie got the size and collecting balance just right. At times, Tooie was too big in level and hub size to be look for certain collectibles you maybe missing or need to progress further.

But just my opinion. That and I played the first game a lot more then the second probably has something to do with it.
I agree with you. Kazooie still stands as one of my favourite 3D platformers. Tooie while really decent in itss own right suffered slightly from its enormous levels in my opinion. The first few are ok but when I got to the dinosaur world I started losing track of what I needed to do in some instances. Grunty Industries stands out as both my overall favourite level, and bloody frustrating in equal measures thanks to the fact that it felt really complicated to navigate each floor.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:24 pm

^ Yes, part of reason why I liked the Banjo games so much was also the challenging difficulty. I hope this new successor in spirit will not be too easy just to accomodate today's younger generations. Not trying to underestimate them, but I've heard a lot of sayings how kids these days just give up if a game presents a challenge to them, and the same goes for some older gamers too. imo, developers should make the kind of game they themselves would enjoy and not try to adjust too much just to "suit everyone". They are an independant team after all, so they don't need to take into account what the publisher would normally order them to do or what the investors would want from them. From a business point of view, it may make sense to do so but from a developer's creative freedom point of view it most certainly doesn't. After all, would we ever get unique and visionary games if everyone decided to just "fit the mold" ? There's far too much "safe playing" in today's gaming world, imo.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:38 pm

I'm seeing "vastness" and "difficulty" being mentioned with regard to the first two Banjo games and just not getting it. Both games are relatively small by today's standards and they're straightforward enough to complete. Any new 3D platformer is going to have to give some ground to modern gaming if it wants to succeed. Just regurgitating the old stuff isn't going to cut it. In all honesty, all I'm smelling with this announcement is pre-hype for another kickstarter.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Misery

Post by Misery » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:12 pm

outdated_gamer wrote: There's far too much "safe playing" in today's gaming world, imo.
Yes, but devs kinda need to "play it safe" nowadays.... for most retail releases, the cost of making the games is WAY too high to take risks. It's why unique games get more and more rare. Bloody tired of it myself, at this point I'm glad I gave up on retail.

If the guys planning on making this game are going independant, then there's hope at least, due to a lack of a big publisher. Probably. I'll be interested to follow the development of this one, provided I remember.
ALK wrote:Only if they don't get TOO mad on collectibles. Tooie was more or less Backtracking: The Videogame.

It was made by Rare, they were the absolute MASTERS of the "collectathon" style of game design back then. Like Donkey Kong Country 64 or whatever it was called, which had pretty much the number one thing I always remember out of Rare's games: color-coded bananas. Who else would come up with that one?

Now I have the urge to play that again. I never did fully finish it.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:57 pm

Misery wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote: There's far too much "safe playing" in today's gaming world, imo.
Yes, but devs kinda need to "play it safe" nowadays.... for most retail releases, the cost of making the games is WAY too high to take risks. It's why unique games get more and more rare. Bloody tired of it myself, at this point I'm glad I gave up on retail.

For "AAA" titles maybe, but then you have games like Minecraft which prove that you don't need pretty visuals, big budget or deep plot when you have a good gameplay concept. Granted, Minecraft was lucky to succeed in the way it did and become a cultural phenomenon. You have games that simply do not appeal to a larger audience. Look at, for example, The Wonderful 101 on Wii U, that game is pretty much the definition of "niche game" that only appeals to a specific audience. The majority would rather buy their yearly military first-person shooter, yearly sports game or yearly action adventure than try out something new and "off-the-hook".

And yes, DK64 was great. Still one of my fave games ever, although I don't really consider it a successor to the DKC series but more a "Banjo with apes".

Misery

Post by Misery » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:35 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
Misery wrote:

For "AAA" titles maybe, but then you have games like Minecraft which prove that you don't need pretty visuals, big budget or deep plot when you have a good gameplay concept. Granted, Minecraft was lucky to succeed in the way it did and become a cultural phenomenon. You have games that simply do not appeal to a larger audience. Look at, for example, The Wonderful 101 on Wii U, that game is pretty much the definition of "niche game" that only appeals to a specific audience. The majority would rather buy their yearly military first-person shooter, yearly sports game or yearly action adventure than try out something new and "off-the-hook".

And yes, DK64 was great. Still one of my fave games ever, although I don't really consider it a successor to the DKC series but more a "Banjo with apes".
Aye, it does seem like most of the time it's restricted to being only on Nintendo's stuff though, the more "unique" games. The others.... uuuugh. I'll just say, I aint been hanging out with friends very much when they're gaming lately, lest I die of boredom overload from watching them play the 4985734th damn FPS in a row. Or the newest movie- er, I mean, JRPG, to come out. Eventually they'll stop trying to get me interested, particularly if I throw something at them next time. Dunno why they bother.

And you're right, DK64 always did have that kinda feel to it, definitely wasnt much like the original DKC games. Also "Banjo with Apes" is what they should call this new game. I dont care if it doesnt have those in it, just call it that anyway.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:04 am

Misery wrote: Aye, it does seem like most of the time it's restricted to being only on Nintendo's stuff though, the more "unique" games. The others.... uuuugh. I'll just say, I aint been hanging out with friends very much when they're gaming lately, lest I die of boredom overload from watching them play the 4985734th damn FPS in a row. Or the newest movie- er, I mean, JRPG, to come out. Eventually they'll stop trying to get me interested, particularly if I throw something at them next time. Dunno why they bother.
Ah, come on now Mis, that says more about your mates than what's available on modern consoles. Maybe not in the numbers you'd like to see, but still.

Back on topic, it'll be interesting to see what gets made, hopefully it'll be faithful to the style and content of Banjo

Misery

Post by Misery » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:41 am

Sel Feena wrote:
Misery wrote: Aye, it does seem like most of the time it's restricted to being only on Nintendo's stuff though, the more "unique" games. The others.... uuuugh. I'll just say, I aint been hanging out with friends very much when they're gaming lately, lest I die of boredom overload from watching them play the 4985734th damn FPS in a row. Or the newest movie- er, I mean, JRPG, to come out. Eventually they'll stop trying to get me interested, particularly if I throw something at them next time. Dunno why they bother.
Ah, come on now Mis, that says more about your mates than what's available on modern consoles. Maybe not in the numbers you'd like to see, but still.

Back on topic, it'll be interesting to see what gets made, hopefully it'll be faithful to the style and content of Banjo
Hm, it says more about the selection than you'd think. They've become typical FPS fans and such, but the reason for this was that the sorts of games we all used to be into just.... dont appear much anymore. They're not that much happier with the selection than I am, but they still do like FPS/JRPG type games, so to them, those are now what to buy.

Not to mention those (games like GTA as well, too, I'd almost forgotten about that sort) really are pretty much all I ever see or hear about these days, be it at stores or on the Net. It'd be nice to find some exceptions beyond JUST LittleBigPlanet, but it hasnt happened yet. Not important though, I've got exactly what I wanted from that console with that game.

As for the game here, I'll be interested to see if they do indeed set up a Kickstarter for that one. Seems to be the thing to do these days, when these experienced developers form new groups to make stuff. Even more interesting would be to see what the results of that would be. What with that sort of game not exactly being a major thing anymore. Granted, a bit of a resurgence on the 2D ones, but still.