The Greatest Multiplayer games of all time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

BennyTheGreek

Re: The Greatest Multiplayer games of all time

Post by BennyTheGreek » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:37 am

silvergunner wrote:
Side pocket (MD): one of two games me and my cousin would play all night long. Simple but so addictive, still up there as one of the best pool games for me.

Well said

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:49 am

The Laird wrote: This would be my top 10 (in no order) and all support 3 players or more!

Sensible Soccer (Atari Jaguar)
Is this a feature of just the Jaguar version?
I never knew more than 2 people could play it.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:58 am

I forgot a few :(

Kikstart 2 (C64)
NBA Jam (SNES)
Beach Head (C64)
Spy Vs Spy (C64)

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:48 am

DPrinny wrote: Warlords (2600) - PADDLEMANIA BROTHER!!
Saturn Bomberman - PAD MANIA BROTHER!!
Oh yes.

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:45 am

One that never gets enough love is Rock n Roll Racing for the SNES. Micro Machines was good, but throw in rockets, ramps and bombs and you have one of the best two player games ever. The ultimate insult with me and my mate was if one of us could get far enough ahead to 180 just before the finish line, send our remaining missiles down the track and still win the race. Awesome times.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:37 pm

BellyFullOfHell wrote:One that never gets enough love is Rock n Roll Racing for the SNES. Micro Machines was good, but throw in rockets, ramps and bombs and you have one of the best two player games ever. The ultimate insult with me and my mate was if one of us could get far enough ahead to 180 just before the finish line, send our remaining missiles down the track and still win the race. Awesome times.
Totally hear you. Its sublime and a much better 1 player game as well than Micro Machines.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:00 pm

Forgot about Rune: Halls of Valhalla, a 3rd person hack n slash:

http://pics.mobygames.com/images/covers ... 206-00.jpg

Super fun in MP, either online or LAN. I also played NFS Porsche online via community program "IP Lounge" but the seasoned players there are a bit too good for me. I tend to avoid MP in RTS games because the competition is crazy there.
Last edited by outdated_gamer on Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:03 pm

stvd wrote:
The Laird wrote: This would be my top 10 (in no order) and all support 3 players or more!

Sensible Soccer (Atari Jaguar)
Is this a feature of just the Jaguar version?
I never knew more than 2 people could play it.
You can have something like 16 players in a tournament mode, only 2 at one time though during a game. But had some epic tournaments on sensi with my friends.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:46 pm

1. Twisted Metal 2: World Tour (PS1). Used the 'seperate the TV screen using a piece of cardboard, a ruler and some sellotape' technique to divide the screen. At that point the multiplayer became sublime. Stalking your buddy through the streets of Paris before blowing up the Eiffel Tower with him in it? Moments!

2. ISS Pro Evolution Soccer 2 (PS1). PES at it's purest. No fancy skill moves, no fannying about. Me vs you like Ali vs Foreman. You can settle world politics with this stuff. Takes the nod over SWOS.

3. GRAW2 (Xbox 360). Be it the excellent adversarial multiplayer or the brilliantly tense co-op levels, GRAW2 is so much better than the more-celebrated Halo/CoD/Gears nonsense. Best sniper game on any system but good for the assault rifle players too. Best game on the system.

4. International Track and Field (PS1). Yeah I'm in. Bring your spare limbs.

5. PGA Golf (Megadrive). I don't even like golf. Perfect skills pay the bills multiplayer.

Any good version of Bomberman almost makes the list. And kudos to BellyFullofHell for given respect actively due to Rock n Roll Racing.

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:12 pm

Five games? Tough.

1. Crimson Skies - XBox, online - Novel game modes, gorgeous scenic levels and great fun gameplay.
2. Gauntlet II - Arcade or using 4-player adapter on Atari ST / Amiga - Continual fun
3. HALO - Co-op mode - XBox - The ultimate buddy experience
4. Unreal Tournament - Simply the king of deathmatch
5. Daytona USA - Arcade - Tops for competitive racing.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:39 pm

TheDude18 wrote: Unreal Tournament (PC) - A tough choice between this or Doom, but UT nicks it with a better mixture of weapons with some fantastic map designs.
I should have included this somewhere. Best PC FPS ever.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:45 pm

1. Mario Party 2
2. WWF No Mercy
3. Mario Kart Wii
4. Timesplitters: Future Perfect
5. Super Smash Bros Melee
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:16 pm

theantmeister wrote:World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
Very few platform games are improved when you add a second player, but World of Illusion just comes to life when you play with a friend.
Ag, how could I forget that one??

Also on the Mega Drive - Dashin' Desperadoes. A split-screen platformer/racing game, with two guys running through the level to get to the girl at the end, all the way through tripping, flattening, squashing or bombing each other to slow them down...
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:41 am

Are there none of you that spent the university days playing MUDs or strategy multiplayer graphical games on unix boxes? I used to see those frequently while I was studying.
(And as I already posted my pick was X-Pilot - neither strategy nor MUD nor D&D does anything for me...)

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:11 am

Let's give this a go...

1) Goldeneye - Not much to be said that's not been said before so I'm not going to say anything... :twisted:
2) Super Bomberman 2 - Almost any Bomberman (with multiplayer) would fit here really, I would spend hours playing this with friends and even my mum would join in on it and quite often kick our arses :lol:
3) Mario Kart 64 - This game was made for multiplayer, it took what made the original fun and enhanced it tenfold ( with the exception of that bloomin blue shell! )
4) Quake 3 Arena - Too many hours were spent on this especially the DC version. I started my online gaming on Quake 1 but I became truly engrossed when this game was released, everything just seemed perfect
5) Micro Machines 96 - J Cart, 4 controllers + many a curse word as your mate/acquaintance knocks you into the bath tub... Fun times!

I nearly put Smash Brothers in the list but It never had as much of an impact on my multiplayer gaming as the other 5 games.