The Greatest Multiplayer games of all time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

felgekarp

Re: The Greatest Multiplayer games of all time

Post by felgekarp » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:37 pm

Here's 5, seeing as that's what was actually asked for
Final Fight (arcade)
Ninja Turtles (arcade)
Gears Of War 2, mainly for horde mode
Bomberman, on pretty much anything
Hot Rod (arcade)
Splink!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:45 pm

Combat - VCS
Space Invaders - VCS (some great multi-player options in this one)

Rampage + Gauntlet - arcade. Pretty awful in 1 player, but as multiplayer they rock.

Probably the greatest though is Double Dragon, esp with that awesome finish
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:57 pm

Sel Feena wrote: Combat - I'm not joking with this one, it really does still stand up and can provide you with lots of laughs
Ooh, forgot about that one, love it!

First time I ever played it (tournament at Eurocon in Manchester?), I lost by a ridiculous margin, ha ha!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:21 pm

First four are pretty easy... but had trouble with the last Mainly:
Contra, Pocky and Rocky, Ikari Warriors, Parodius, Bust-A-Move, Mariokart 64. and i'm sure i'm forgetting some great ones...

1:Super Bomberman... I have 3 brothers and this was our battlefield... It was constantly on for about 2 or 3 years... it never ended because whoever lost would be so frustrated they'd instantly want a rematch or best of 3, 7, 20, a thousand...
2:Gauntlet
3:Double Dragon
4:Bubble Bobble
5:Mariokart 64... probly spent more hours on this than the other contenders for 5 spot so...

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:50 pm

No order:

- Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis & Resistance. First trully open-world tactical shooter/military battlefield simulator and the prequel of the ARMA series, real fun with a team of experienced players in cooperative, team-based missions, but also other ones like battlefield-style TvT modes, "capture the island" mode that reminds on real-time strategy games, classic CTF and T/DM modes and even racing and role playing ("cops and robbers" GTA style) modes. The in-built mission editor means the game has basically infinite re-playability and a ton of community content exist for it. The only issue is that GameSpy does not function anymore so in-game server search is impossible, but thanks to the community we have an alternative and well-working sollution. One of those classic games that isn't ment for those who frown when they see a low-resolution texture and is for those who rather than having everything delivered to them on a silver plate choose to serve themselves instead.

- Live For Speed. Despite a funny name that might be seen as a pun on the "Need For Speed" games, Live For Speed is an excellent online racing simulator. The physics in the game are quite realistic, meaning that you have to work your way to be any good at it, however the game is quite accessible anyway, as it's possible to steer with just a mouse. Of course the game shows it's real charm when played with a wheel. The online community is very competitive and there's still numerous players these days, despite the age of the game (it originally came out in 2003). One downside is that there is no modding capacity to it meaning that you're grounded to the already existing content in the game. This wouldn't be an issue if the game got regular new "DLC", but it seems that is comming out more at a snail pace these days. This is also why the game isn't as active as it once was. Perhaps this will change if the authors decide to somehow open it up for community content, in one way or another. As long-time players, we most certainly feel it would only benefit it.

- Vietcong & Fist Alpha. One of those few Nam themed shooters that were actually good. The single-player campaign was a blast, but in addition to it there were also (unlockable) single-player missions and a MP part. The MP part was very fun too, and I personally rather played it than Counter-Strike and similar games. Due to GameSpy going down in the recent times, the community was left with a half-fixed sollution which resulted in many lost players. But as always, the most dedicated ones decided to stay. Although I must say that the game is a bit past it's prime now, despite tons of community maps made for it. Still goes down in history as the most enjoyable Nam game ever.

- Quake 3: Arena. Quite easily the best arena shooter ever made, in my opinion. Not only it's super fast and brutal, it also tests your aiming and movement skills like few other games do. So it comes as no suprise that the game (in a modified version) is still used on dedicated gaming tournaments. Lots of player content and fun game modifiers were a reason why it never really passed away, despite GameSpot shutting down in recent times. Quake Live is basically a re-designed and free to play Quake 3, but despite having more options some of us still prefer the original Q3:A. Was a blast at LAN parties also.

- Hyper Street Fighter II: Anniversary Edition. While Super Turbo might be the prefered tournament version, I personally like to play this one best because it offers more strategic options and possibilites. Playing as Ryu from World Warrior against Ken from Hyper Fighting is possible in this version which is why it allows for many interesting matches. The basic SFII fighting system still stands the test of time, allowing for interesting "high level" play. It's not that hard to come across challengers either, although if you are a PC player you must use some custom online search programs.

Honorable mentions: Super Mario Kart, Nexuiz/Xonotic, True Combat: Elite, Bomberman 2, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Manhattan Project, Trackmania 2/Nations, Contra, Jackal, Outrunners, Red Orchestra 1 & 2, Soldier of Fortune 1 & 2, Serious Sam First/Second Encounter, Quake 1 & II, Smash TV, Street Fighter III: Third Strike, Two Crude Dudes, Sunset Raiders, F-Zero VS/X, Mystical Fighter, Final Fight 3, Mortal Kombat, Carmageddon 1 & 2, G.I. Joe, Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, Alien vs Predator Arcade + PC, ect.

edit: oh and I used to really liked to play this little game here in 2 player mode:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... ox_art.jpg

Was short but sweet.
Last edited by outdated_gamer on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:03 pm

I'm going to nominate the following;

1. Left 4 Dead
2. Street Fighter 2 Turbo (although you could include most SF games after the 1st one)
3. Kick off 2
4. Super Tennis
5. Spy vs Spy
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:37 pm

PGA golf 2 (MD): used to play this with my dad all the time. It was also a game I never felt I had to hold back on as he was as good at it as me. Fantastic memories playing this.

Mario kart DS: this got soooo much play in multiplayer when it came out. Had many long sessions on this with a friend at work years gone by when I should of been working.

Side pocket (MD): one of two games me and my cousin would play all night long. Simple but so addictive, still up there as one of the best pool games for me.

NHL Hockey 93 (MD): the second of the two games me and my cousin would play all night long. The game is so fast paced that we would never tire of playing it. We would always close our eyes and pick random teams and laugh at each other upon picking one of the most rubbish teams. The satisfaction upon winning with one of those rubbish teams was fantastic.

Olympic gold (MD): a very average game elevated to immense fun when four people were playing. The amount of laughter to be had watching my mum kick down every hurdle or stuff every dive up each and every time was comedy gold.

Teenage mutant ninja turtles (arcade): so many memories playing this at the arcades at redcar beach as a kid. Shame my little boy won't get that experience. Love playing with it with him on my 360 though.

Road rash 2 (MD): yes frame rate was choppy but so many happy memories playing this with my dad trying to kick each other into oncoming cars etc...

Sega Rally (saturn): my brother in law was the one who had a saturn at the time and we used to play this all the time. Sega really managed a fantastic conversion of this.

Tekken 2 (PS1): wow what a beat em up. My jaw dropped when I got this on Jap import. Could not believe what my PS1 was running back in the day. Many late nights with friends playing this.

F-zero X (N64): without a doubt one of the best multiplayer racers of all time. The playability with four playing at the same time is incredible. It still really holds up for me to this day.

Streets of rage 2 (MD): played this more than final fight, again my dad was decent at playing this so I have many happy memories playing this with him.

Street fighter 2 (various): a time when fighters were purer and you did not need to know shed loads of combos or 50+ moves and be an expert to have a chance of winning.

supermario

Post by supermario » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:01 am

Gauntlet (arcade) - "Elf... has eaten all the food lately....." (usually followed by punching sounds... and me saying "Ow" :D )
COD MW3 (360) - Best maps, most fun, fully customisable private games.
GTAV (once it worked...)
Kinect Sports (360)
Bubble Bobble

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:33 am

micro machines (any md one)
sensible soccer
street fighter 2
bomberman
mario kart

that was basically my childhood

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:45 am

Gauntlet (Arcade)
Bomberman
Rally Speedway
X-Pilot (HP9000 700) (Best multiplayer game you've never played. Though I suspect the versions you get today are a bit much blinged.)

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:08 am

My list as follows, top 5 are my first 5 picks, then honourable mentions :

Speedball 2 (Amiga) - tight controls, addictive and super competitive.

Super Mario Kart (SNES) - Still the best Mario Kart ever, despite only being a maximum of 2 player. Battle and race mode have infinite replay value.

Super Bomberman (SNES) - The perfect version of the multiplayer king. Saturn version had too many gimmicks, this was perfect and pre the silly dinosaur era and had the right amount of simplicity. 4 Player local is more than ample before it becomes a confusing mess. Bomberman Land Touch 1/2 on the DS are a close 2nd/3rd.

Pro Evolution Soccer 4 (PS2) - Not necessarily the best version of the entire series, but this was the one I played the most competitively multiplayer, and it was gooood times!

Super Monkey Ball (Gamecube) - Hugely addictive minigames up to 4 players and had the awesome Monkey Target.

Honourable mentions :

Battlefield 1943 (Xbox 360) - Just absolutely loved this online-only multiplayer game, made me think modern FPS aren't all rubbish

Goldeneye 007 (N64) - the original king of 4 player local FPS. Controls seem a bit odd today, but once you get used to them again, its still as fun as ever

GTA 4 (Xbox 360) - The co-op missions were fun, but just going on the rampage with your mates was brilliant in this game.

Tetris DS (DS) - Frantic block building/busting game with lots of different modes.

Wii Sports (Wii) - Bowling. Nuff said.
Last edited by Sephiroth81 on Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:13 am

Gunstar Heroes on the Mega Drive
Tetris on the Game Boy
Mario Kart Double Dash
Bruce Lee - C64
Counter Strike PC

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:36 am

For me, it's this lot:

Micro Machines 96
J-Carts are perhaps the best idea ever, and the game is practically endless thanks to the track designer.

Street Fighter III: Third Strike
Not tremendously accessible, but fiercely competitive once you get it.

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Pulled all-night sessions on this with friends as a teenager, pips other competitive puzzlers like Puyo Puyo based on character choice stuff.

Phantasy Star Online
I'm a competitive guy, but I love the co-op exploration here.

Rock Band
Perfect party game - it's accessible enough for everyone to get involved with, and the soundtrack is excellent.

Honourable mentions: Mercs, Double Dragon, Warlords, Mario Kart DS, Dead Or Alive 4.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:52 am

Dr Mario 64
Brilliant 4 player mode. Also, the graphics still shine today thanks to the 2D artwork.

Unreal Tournament
I love Quake 3 too, but UT just pips it. The weaponry was great and DM-Morpheus is probably still my favourite Deathmatch map ever. The later games aren't as good. Too "twitchy" IMO.

World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
Very few platform games are improved when you add a second player, but World of Illusion just comes to life when you play with a friend.

Streets of Rage 2
Throughout the 90s, whenever my group of friends got together it was inevitable that Streets of Rage 2 would get put on.

Super Mario Kart
The last Mario Kart I was any good at, it is a good game, but the reason it is on the list is because it is the only game I could whip all my friends at :lol:

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:36 am

1 : Battlefield 2 Modern Combat on the Xbox
2: Wii Sports Resort - Wii
3: Super Monkey Ball - Monkey Target - Gamecube
4: Counter Strike - PC
5: Another game of Battlefield 2 Modern Combat on the xbox