The Greatest Multiplayer games of all time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

aztecca

Re: The Greatest Multiplayer games of all time

Post by aztecca » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:32 pm

For old school offline gubbins its to go with.

Konami 4 player arcade beat em ups vendetta,Turtles,Simpsons.

4 player warlords on the Atari vcs.

Streetfighter 2 in arcade or on snes.

Operation thunderbolt 2 player arcade.

Gaunlet 2 on the amiga 4 player ace.

Online multiplayer.

Gears of war 3

Call of duty black ops 2.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:32 pm

Now this is hard! I love multiplayer gaming, from local LAN parties to Arcade blowouts, I love the banter, fun and enjoyment you just don't get when your playing by yourself (fnarr, fnarr) And its got to be local. None of this online stuff, it just aint the same.

Unreal Tournament (PC) - A tough choice between this or Doom, but UT nicks it with a better mixture of weapons with some fantastic map designs.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade) - How much fun can you have with your mates and a bucket of loose change? Not so much if you ended up with Rafael.
Super Mario Kart (SNES) - A near perfect racer. Hilarious, challenging, great tracks (Ghost Valley 1!) and a perfect balance of risk vs. Reward.
World Games (C64) - A great blend of unusual sports, with easy to learn controls and plenty of charm. California Games comes a close second.
Worms Armageddon (PS3) - Turned based fun which gets a regular outing at home. Great fun especially with several teams on the go. Turn based is also ideally suited for some much needed drinking time!

Close but no cigar - Command and Conquer, Doom 2, Counterstrike, Pitstop II, Duke Nukem 3D, Bruce Lee, Way of the Exploding Fist, Super Bomberman, Unirally.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:51 pm

All my fave multiplayers are last and current gen but before online arrived in a big way on the consoles my list looked like this:

1. Phantasy Star Online (Dreamcast)

2. International Track & FIeld (Playstation)

3. Bishi Bashi Special (Playstation)

4. Sled Storm (Playstation)

5. Goldeneye (N64)

The Playstation's multitap elevated Track & Field and Sled Storm to godlike status round my place. Honourable mentions for Quake 2 and Circuit Breakers, both on Playstation.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:55 pm

Games I've had the most multi-player fun with would probably be Crash Team Racing, Timesplitters Future Perfect and Smash Bros. Melee.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:08 pm

At my games nights games that people play the most in multi are
Ultimate Mortal Kombat trilogy - A ROM hack of ultimate that adds every character vereation. MK is still s**t
Windjammers - Once people realise how to play.
Mirco Machines - ANYBODY can play it, but much trolling happens (stopping in front of someone)
Wario Ware - GC - Simple always wins
Mario Kart 64 - "F**K, C**T, T**T" are just some of the words

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:11 pm

Combat - Atari 2600
Warlords - Atari 2600
Bubble Bobble - Arcade
Gauntlet - Arcade
Chu Chu Rocket - Dreamcast

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:35 pm

This is possibly the easiest question you've asked to date Darran! Whilst I've had great fun with Gauntlet (arcade), F1GP2 (PC), International Soccer (c64), Sensible Soccer and Kick off 2 (Amiga), Team Fortress (PC) - the greatest multiplayer game of all time has to be Bad Company 2 on the Xbox 360. I picked this up the weekend of launch and still play it today, having put hundreds of hours in.

A game that truly rewards players working together as a unit, as opposed to the "lone wolf" type gameplay of its chef competition, work as a team and you'd win matches - try and work alone and you struggled.

Fun game modes and the fact that EA game away FREE map packs to keep things interesting.

And in Vietnam, the most inventive DLC I've played to date.

Its a pity that BF3 and BF4 were such massive disappointments after BC2, bugged, rotten match making and terrible spawn points... and a lot of CoD players, who didn't want to play as squads.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Minerals

Post by Minerals » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:59 pm

Here's my greatest, very hard just picking 5:

Warlords
Worms
Windjammers
Double Dragon
Tetris

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:19 pm

slacey1070 wrote:This is possibly the easiest question you've asked to date Darran! Whilst I've had great fun with Gauntlet (arcade), F1GP2 (PC), International Soccer (c64), Sensible Soccer and Kick off 2 (Amiga), Team Fortress (PC) - the greatest multiplayer game of all time has to be Bad Company 2 on the Xbox 360. I picked this up the weekend of launch and still play it today, having put hundreds of hours in.

A game that truly rewards players working together as a unit, as opposed to the "lone wolf" type gameplay of its chef competition, work as a team and you'd win matches - try and work alone and you struggled.

Fun game modes and the fact that EA game away FREE map packs to keep things interesting.

And in Vietnam, the most inventive DLC I've played to date.

Its a pity that BF3 and BF4 were such massive disappointments after BC2, bugged, rotten match making and terrible spawn points... and a lot of CoD players, who didn't want to play as squads.
BC2 is undoubtedly a great online game. But you appear to be claiming it is without bugs, rotten match making and terrible spawns and that it somehow had no substantial amount of lone wolfers - which is frankly ridiculous. All the Battlefield games on console feature these things. I prefer B4 to BC2 for it's larger scale and emphasis on Conquest rather than Rush but BC2 was definitely a top game. As flawed as it was. As flawed as the Battlefield games probably always will be.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:21 pm

1. WARLORDS (Atari 2600) the king of multiplayer games, it will never be beaten.
2. That CARS game on the projectors that's at the Retro events so much fun.
3. Bishi Bashi Special (PS1) impossible to play without a smile on your face.
4. Micro Machines Turbo Tournament (MD) - lots of funtimes.
5. The Simpsons Arcade game - or pretty much any of those 4 player fighting games from that era.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:25 pm

Oh this is hard, ALL the best games are multiplayer games! Let's see...

Warlords (Atari 2600), ridiculously fun.
Spacewar (Vectex), sweaty.
Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament (Mega Drive), shouty.
Worms Armageddon (PC), ninja rope skills to annoy folk with.
ToeJam & Earl (Mega Drive), Sunday afternoon fun.
Sonic 2 (Mega Drive), competitive or co-operative.
Mashed: Fully Loaded (Xbox), the only racing game that comes close to Micro Machines.
Kuri Kuri Mix (PS2), co-operative puzzles.
Golden Axe (Mega Drive), kicking elves.
Pong (all sorts of things), flawless.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:30 pm

And I'd add Mine craft in creative mode, had a lot of fun with that with my daughter... building some really nice things in the process.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:53 pm

Call of Duty online - from Modern Warfare onwards they are a masterclass in online multiplayer, fast paced, hugely addictive, and brilliant fun. If I had to pick one from the series so far it would be Black Ops 2.

Double Dragon - great fun in single player but teaming up with a mate was just superb, and THAT ending!

Pro Evolution Soccer series - was tempted to go for Kick Off but the Pro Evo series (especially 4/5/6) are the pinnacle of football games. if you love football then a pro evo session with a few mates is as good as it gets. It will end in tears though.

Street Fighter 2 - had to put a fighter in and although I think the VF games are the best there is something timeless about SF2 multiplayer with it's iconic roster of characters.

Barbarian - just how much fun is playing against a mate and you are both trying to hit the spinning neck chop! there are few things more satisfying than hitting the move and watching the little goblin kick your mates head from the screen. It's still the single best move ever in gaming.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:01 pm

Great topic!

This would be my top 10 (in no order) and all support 3 players or more!

Worms (Atari Jaguar)
Saturn Bomberman (Sega Saturn)
Warlords (Atari 2600)
California Games (Atari Lynx)
WWF Wrestlefest (Arcade)
Gauntlet 2 (Atari ST)
Sensible Soccer (Atari Jaguar)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade)
Rampage (Atari ST)
Xenophobe (Atari Lynx)

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:32 pm

We only get five for this one?

Combat - I'm not joking with this one, it really does still stand up and can provide you with lots of laughs

Bubble Bobble - An already sublime platformer made even more fun with a mate

Super Bomberman - Not the ultimate multiplayer version, but this is the one I played. Especially funny when players decide to gang up on someone

Gauntlet 2 - Good fun scrabbling for treasure and shooting all the food accidentally on purpose

Super Mario Kart - Shoving a red shell up your mate's bum just before they finish feels supreme (it's fun in the game, too)