The Greatest Multiplayer games of all time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

David

Re: The Greatest Multiplayer games of all time

Post by David » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:41 pm

Sensible soccer (mega drive as you could edit player names and team names)

Super Mario kart

Wcw/nwo revenge

Iss deluxe

Powerstone 2

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:57 pm

David wrote:Sensible soccer (mega drive as you could edit player names and team names)
You could edit player and team names and kits on the Amiga version too if I remember right, certainly in World Of Sensible Soccer.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:08 pm

pratty wrote: 2. WWF No Mercy
Can No Mercy be played with 4 players at the same time? And if so, is the framerate decent?

Btw, a cool MP game was apparently also Gauntlet Legends, the first (and last) 3D Gauntlet game and allowed for 4 players at same time/screen.

Sephiroth81 wrote: Super Mario Kart (SNES) - Still the best Mario Kart ever, despite only being a maximum of 2 player. Battle and race mode have infinite replay value.
Original SMK is the most skill-based title in the franchise, imo. Later versions got too many novel things that kind of took out the challenge. The SNES version is still played at retro gaming tournaments and I must say that some players are really good at it. But if you want four players, then you have to go with MK64, although Street Racer on SNES supported 4 player split screen mode (not quite as good as SMK though, despite the prettier visuals and more game modes).
Super Bomberman (SNES) - The perfect version of the multiplayer king. Saturn version had too many gimmicks, this was perfect and pre the silly dinosaur era and had the right amount of simplicity. 4 Player local is more than ample before it becomes a confusing mess. Bomberman Land Touch 1/2 on the DS are a close 2nd/3rd.
I understand the sentiment about later games, I also feel the newer Bombermans added too many things meaning that MP matches can become a real mess. I like the archaic Bomberman 2 on NES personally, but I can't say it's the best for MP. Many seem to find Mega Bomberman/Bomberman '94 to be one of the best versions though.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:37 pm

Surprised more people haven't said WWE Wrestlefest, not only the best wrestling game ever but the multi-player Royal Rumble was just superb

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:41 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
pratty wrote: 2. WWF No Mercy
Can No Mercy be played with 4 players at the same time? And if so, is the framerate decent?
Yes it's 4 player.

Don't know about frame rate, there probably was a drop off but if there was I don't remember it being game breaking.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:44 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
I understand the sentiment about later games, I also feel the newer Bombermans added too many things meaning that MP matches can become a real mess. I like the archaic Bomberman 2 on NES personally, but I can't say it's the best for MP. Many seem to find Mega Bomberman/Bomberman '94 to be one of the best versions though.
Bomberman 93 and 94 are good on the TG-16, but the Megadrive version of it is very much hampered by its constant and frustrating slowdown.

I would say the SNES and TG-16 versions are the purest. Ultimately though, they are all quite similar, and Hudson must have produced about 40+ Bomberman games without barely having to do a thing! They're like EA with their annual sports license updates!

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:08 am

Hmm..., ok:

Sensible World of Soccer - very hard to beat a multiplayer custom league for fantabulous fun
Xybots - speed and stealth are paramount, as is co-operation and leaving energy pills etc. for whoever really needs them
Double Dragon - superb fun with a mate, yet that didn't compare to the rabid consternation caused by the unexpected final face-off - elbows to the face and friends no more! :lol:
Super Mario Kart - no Greatest list will be complete without this monster of a game. Brilliant doesn't quite do it justice
Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles - although tending to be a bit annoying, it was nevertheless a thoroughly entertaining romper when quaded-up

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:39 pm

Notable ones for me:

Warlords (Arcade or 2600 but 2600 is my favourite and that includes Medieval Mayhem)
Gauntlet (Any but prob Arcade)
Mashed (PS2 but Xbox is good too)
Micro Machines (Any but PS1 or MD best for me)
Dunk Dream (Neo Geo)
Mario Smash Football (Gamecube)
Bomberman (Saturn)
Any Mario Kart but Double Dash (GC) for the 2 players on one Kart twist.
Powerstone 2 (DC)
Goldeneye (N64)
Twin Tornado (C64) 2 machines linked by serial ports and 2 TVs
Falcon (Amiga) again 2 machines linked with 2 TVs

Cheers

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

Misery

Post by Misery » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:02 pm

Hm. I'll give it a whirl:

Guilty Gear X2 Accent Core: Easily my favorite fighting game. Though Arc's other fighters are also fantastic.

Smash Bros. 4: Or whatever the newest one on the Wii U is called. Screw all the previous games in the series. They have committed the grave crime of not being this one. And no, I dont like Melee.

Entire Monster Hunter series: Normally, I haaaaaaaaaaaate co-op. This series is the exception.

I kinda blank out after that. Nobody I know gives a flying fart about multiplayer games that A: arent co-op, or B: arent fighting games, or C: arent FPS games (which I also wont play), which means I very rarely get to do much in the way of multiplayer with them aside from the fighters, and while I really like alot of various online games on PC, they dont QUITE match up to the three I've listed here. Well, of the games that I can actually think of at this very moment, my memory is so bad... I may amend this list later if something occurs to me.

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:43 pm

Just a thought, I always think of multi-player as "more than 2".

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:15 pm

stvd wrote:Just a thought, I always think of multi-player as "more than 2".
anything more than 1 is a multiple though.

Its also why when you go into most games menu and choose multiplayer you have the option of 2 players.

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:10 pm

Last edited by stvd on Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:22 pm

I going to interpret "greatest" as the most fun ive had....

1 Bubble Bobble (Arcade)
2 World League Soccer (PS1)
3 Ico (PS2)
4 Mario Kart (SNES or N64)
5 House of the Dead 2 (Arcade or Dreamcast)

Coolest looking multiplayer goes to Out Run 2 (Arcade, 4 player)

The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:29 pm

Yeah i know what you mean.I know its wrong( so no need for a smart arse answer rodimusprime) but multiplayer in my head is 4 player bomberman or something like that.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:37 pm

aztecca wrote:
Yeah i know what you mean.I know its wrong( so no need for a smart arse answer rodimusprime) but multiplayer in my head is 4 player bomberman or something like that.
Semantics. The OP has listed two games which are maximum 2 players, so I guess any game which is more than 1 player.