Which Gran Turismo is your favourite, and why?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Your favorurite Gran Turismo

Gran Turismo PlayStation
42%
Gran Turismo 2 PlayStation
15%
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec PlayStation 2
19%
Gran Turismo 4 PlayStation 2
12%
Gran Turismo 5 PlayStation 3
No votes
Gran Turismo 6 PlayStation 3
4%
Gran Turismo Concept: 2001 Tokyo / Tokyo-Seoul / Tokyo-Geneva PlayStation 2
No votes
Gran Turismo 4 Prologue PlayStation 2
No votes
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
4%
Gran Turismo (PSP)
4%

Total votes: 26

retrojc

Which Gran Turismo is your favourite, and why?

Post by retrojc » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:19 am

For me, the best Gran Turismo is number 3, but only just. When car games strived to become more real I lost a lot of interest; Gran Turismo 3 is the last game in the series where I still feel like Its a video game first, simulator second.

Gran Turismo 1 is a very pure game, and two only refined on it, but 3 has a lot of game in it, and most of the awesome bits of the first two. So 3 is my favourite, what about yous?

For the poll I have included the main line games and the most prominent secondary releases.
Last edited by retrojc on Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

nokgod

Re: Which Gran Turismo is your favourite, and why?

Post by nokgod » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:34 am

For me its GT2. Mainly because i thought it took the original and expanded on it in almost every respect.

I can't really speak for the PS2 and newer games as i haven't really put the hours into them to give an honest opinion.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:36 am

GT4 for me.

The variation and size of 2 but with some PS2 power behind it.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:57 am

1 for me, It was like nothing I had seen before in terms of tracks, option, upgrades, cars, and having to actually drive using braking and racing lines.

A truly innovative game at the time that blew me away.

errolwd40

Post by errolwd40 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:03 am

The first one for me, I had just finished Porsche Challenge when I picked up Gran turismo in the summer of 98.

The difference was night and day, not only in looks but scale and handling. I missed out on the second one as I was saving for ps2 and playing not stop isa pro evolution.

The 3rd and 4th versions on ps2 were both great, especially the 4th one with the huge wealth of cars and tracks.

The ps3 versions are both very bland in my opinion, I also remember the hours of bug fixing patches and updates to fix them both, Turismo 5 especially.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:07 am

RodimusPrime wrote:1 for me, It was like nothing I had seen before in terms of tracks, option, upgrades, cars, and having to actually drive using braking and racing lines.

A truly innovative game at the time that blew me away.
This ^^^

I have great memories of GT1 on PS1, it's one of only a few PS1 games I actually own.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:08 pm

I've only played the first two which is odd when I'm such a big fan of cars in general. I have GT4 but just haven't gotten around to playing it yet as you can't just have the game on the side as a "quick blast" title when there is so much reality-based depth involved.

Loved the second disc of GT2 for it's scratch 'n sniff tyre rubber smell!

P.S. does anybody know if the 'Academy' version of GT5 has the DLC on the disc itself or do I need to look for a new copy with a voucher code inside or something?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:29 pm

The original GT for me. Very good mix of arcade and sim racer. The sequel had much more content but I kinda didn't like it that much whereas GT3 improved the visuals a lot and made the game feel more simmy but at the time I was more into PC race sims. Same goes for GT4 which felt like a refined GT3 while GT5 made a dramatic jump in visual quality thanks to much more powerful PS3 and it was also the most realistic GT to date and introduced many novel things for the series such as 1st person cockpit views, dynamic weather and so on. But the game also felt sort of "unpolished" at launch, with lots of issues which were eventually resolved in it's first major upgrade. GT6 was more of the same from what I've gathered and released a bit too late to make any real impact. The GT series is certainly one of the main reasons to own a PlayStation system, especially if you're into console race sims, which might not be as "in-depth" as PC sims, but in turn offer more content "out of the box" and a lower entry point (although you still need a good wheel with chair if you want to get the most of it). But in some ways, the GT series also feels a bit archaic and "backwards" these days, or simply not progressing/evolving at a pace that would make it's competitors (either Forza on Xbox or PC sims like Assetto Corsa) tremble in fear.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:29 pm

The original, just for the sheer impact it had. Before that you'd be lucky to have a dozen cars in a game, let alone real ones you could actually see in real life. So many happy memories, especially dominating everything the Cerbera LM. I really enjoyed 4 at the time but trued it again a few years ago and it didn't seem to have aged as well. Never played 5 or 6, but from the outside the lack of damage physics looks even more ridiculous in each iteration

DaveDoc1984

Post by DaveDoc1984 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:46 pm

The 2nd one. The 1st game was excellent so how do you improve on that? by adding MORE! Rally Racing, Regional Events and tonnes more cars :).
In to Retro Gaming Pickup's? Light hearted reviews of both Modern Day and Retro Video Games? Check out my YouTube Channel!

http://www.youtube.com/DaveDoc1984
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1ESj3JPPnT

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:32 pm

The original is such a perfectly rounded experience with still brilliant handling and customisation. The second did expand but felt rougher and rushed out.

GT3 is my second favourite after the original as it is the last to not feel totally sterile and lifeless. I think maybe because the graphics are so vibrant rather than the more muted colours of later games.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:53 am

The first one for me. The impact of what was possible on the PS1 was incredible. Plus I bought the JAP import along with a dual shock controller. I even liked the strange jazz style soundtrack that was on it.

In relation to the other thread about dual shocks. That original jap controller is still working today and is mega heavy compared to uk versions of the pad.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:18 am

First one for me as well. I've got 2 & 3 as well, but they never really felt the same to me. I still recall when I decided to start from scratch and sat down to get golds on the B licence before buying any cars - and thanks to doing absolutely zero research on it beforehand, I got a nice surprise with the Dodge Concept car being awarded.

Needless to say, that rapidly got upgraded and won me a good few races - even some of the A-Licence ones.
Where logic won't work, I will

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:18 pm

well i've got 1-5 and the psp version, dont tell me you are surprised :lol:

i loved 1, i got it when i got my ps2 and couldnt afford gt3, brilliant game and as if someone had said 'this is how you play racing games and this is how you race'

1, 3 and the psp version are favourites all for different reasons

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:01 pm

djcarlos wrote:GT4 for me.

The variation and size of 2 but with some PS2 power behind it.
Absolutely agreed on this one. Gran Turismo 2 was superb, but I felt it was a little too ambitious for the PS1 hardware. GT4 exploited PS2 technology, and still to this day, I think the graphics look incredible and smooth (and probably amazing on 1080i if I didn't have the silly PAL version).

I felt GT5 and 6 were a bit flat by comparison, and Forza has since surpassed it in my opinion as the leading console racer.