What is the best Mortal Kombat game

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

daverage

What is the best Mortal Kombat game

Post by daverage » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:14 pm

Hi all, just thought I would see what your thoughts are.
For me, 1 was a breath of fresh air int he fighting genre, like pitfighter (now there was a game!!) on steroids!!
But I feel that MK3 was the pinnacle. It had lots of easy to pull off moves, with just enough hard core thumb breaking to keep the better gamers interested. Also there were very few bad conversions of it!!

What are your thoughts?
Andrzej 'daverage' Marczewski
http://www.yetanotherreviewsite.co.uk
Games reviews written by gamers for gamers

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:15 pm

Drum Roll please while we wait for it.............. :wink:
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:16 pm

They all suck, take away the violence and there aint much of the game left
Watching you sleep since 1990

Mr. Pointless

Post by Mr. Pointless » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:19 pm

Sega2006 wrote:They all suck, take away the violence and there aint much of the game left
Uh-huh

*uppercut - uppercut - uppercut (Whoopsie!) - uppercut - "FINISH HIM!" - Down-Down-Down+Punch = you opponent goes hits the spiked roof/falls off the bridge/falls into the acidic gloop.

Call that gameplay? :|
Amiga: "Insert Disk 7"
User: "When I work out how to magically pull that out of my **** I will, because it's not in the box."

Xbox 360: Mr Pointless | PSN: Mr_Pointless | Steam: Mr Pointless

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:21 pm

MK was ok - but I think the digitised graphics didnt help the gameplay
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:31 pm

Mortal Kombat II.

End Of.

And, you can expect a FULL reply when I get home : it will bore the pants of everyone else, but I really don't care.

I champion decent fighting games, and MK II is one of the greatest of all time.

I look forward to arguing with many other forum users :lol:
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:33 pm

Just in case you forgot what I wrote after reading the last three lines of my original post, here it is again :

MORTAL KOMBAT II

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:44 pm

And there's the money shot!!!! :D :wink:
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:27 pm

For me it was the first one as it's the only one I ever really spent any time on and yes it was something different to streetfighter at the time.
Splink!

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:53 pm

Sega2006 wrote:They all suck, take away the violence and there aint much of the game left
Yeah - Sega Rally was rubbish too! take out the driving bits and there wasn't much of a game there...

And see that Sonic the Hedgehog without the platforming? not much of a game...

I demand my money back.
Thoughts and prayers.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:09 pm

I think I've just cum :oops: :lol:

On a more serious note, here are my musing on the other MK related games :

Mortal Kombat - The original. Very bland. The game that took the Digitized look as previously seen in Pit Fighter, to the next level. The controversy surrounding the fatalities helped sell this game by the bucket load as gameplay alone would have seen about 100 copies if that purchased!

Mortal Kombat II - Oh my GOD! I've just cum again!

Mortal Kombat 3 - Sadly very, very rushed sequel. A run button was added to speed up the game, as were new characters and finishing moves including the much rumoured Animality. The animation is horrendous in places, see falling down like a pencil and the limited colour scheme used for the animalities was pathetic. What was amazing, was the way this game was marketed whilst it was in the Arcades. Kombat Kodes could be used to implement new "modes" and they certainly made a HUGE difference in 2 Player mode. 1 Hit Kills were very amusing :P

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 - Not a sequel but an revision that introduced new characters, backgrounds and Kombat Kodes. More fun than MK3, but that really isn't saying much for it!

Mortal Kombat 4 - Midway grow concerned that 2D games are being phased out and so the series ditched the digitised graphics and went 3D to fit in with all the other games appearing at the time, such as Virtua Fighter/Tekken Street Fighter EX, Plasma Sword etc, etc..
Although it has a fair amount of flaws, it's not actually all that bad.
Midway actually experimented witha 3D fighting game before MK4 was released - and it turned out to be a travesty. See War Gods.

More to follow : :wink:

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:11 pm

rossi46 wrote:
Yeah - Sega Rally was rubbish too! take out the driving bits and there wasn't much of a game there...

And see that Sonic the Hedgehog without the platforming? not much of a game...

I demand my money back.
Damn, Now that was funny :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:19 am

MK1 is my favourite.

nwosteve

Post by nwosteve » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:02 am

EvilArmourKing wrote:I think I've just cum :oops: :lol:

On a more serious note, here are my musing on the other MK related games :

Mortal Kombat - The original. Very bland. The game that took the Digitized look as previously seen in Pit Fighter, to the next level. The controversy surrounding the fatalities helped sell this game by the bucket load as gameplay alone would have seen about 100 copies if that purchased!

Mortal Kombat II - Oh my GOD! I've just cum again!

Mortal Kombat 3 - Sadly very, very rushed sequel. A run button was added to speed up the game, as were new characters and finishing moves including the much rumoured Animality. The animation is horrendous in places, see falling down like a pencil and the limited colour scheme used for the animalities was pathetic. What was amazing, was the way this game was marketed whilst it was in the Arcades. Kombat Kodes could be used to implement new "modes" and they certainly made a HUGE difference in 2 Player mode. 1 Hit Kills were very amusing :P

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 - Not a sequel but an revision that introduced new characters, backgrounds and Kombat Kodes. More fun than MK3, but that really isn't saying much for it!

Mortal Kombat 4 - Midway grow concerned that 2D games are being phased out and so the series ditched the digitised graphics and went 3D to fit in with all the other games appearing at the time, such as Virtua Fighter/Tekken Street Fighter EX, Plasma Sword etc, etc..
Although it has a fair amount of flaws, it's not actually all that bad.
Midway actually experimented witha 3D fighting game before MK4 was released - and it turned out to be a travesty. See War Gods.

More to follow : :wink:
a man after my own heart! massive mk fan and i agree 100%, mk2 was the best

i think umk3/mkt were best for 2 player fun and games but, for pure beat-em-up actrion, mk2 was the best

and, yes, i DID register 250 wins against allcomers in the local arcade and, yes, i DID get beaten by noob saibot...i never lived it down
"You're all going to die." MK3 promo posters

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:43 am

MK II but only because of Dan "Toasty" Forden's appearances during the game. It was funny for a while...
真・豪鬼