Gaming Disasters Help needed

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Re: Gaming Disasters Help needed

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:47 am

The worst peripheral I've ever seen is that NES 'Roll 'n Rocker' thing that occasionally appears in the AVGN videos. I'd love to know what drugs they were on when that thing was manufactured but I assume it would be far too obscure for RG.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:47 pm

master system sports pad too obscure? Borrow mine? Its a bulky beast

got shaq fu on md if wanted too
Last edited by flatapex on Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:57 pm

Well, I own virtual boy in all its red and black glory! As well as a GX4000

Jay

Post by Jay » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:28 pm

What was disastrous about Spectrum ROMs?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:50 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:I think this is probably down to more of my incompetence and lack of persistence, but I found Namco's "Jogcon" controller, packaged in with Ridge Racer Type 4 on PS1 to be a disaster. It was just total rubbish in my opinion, and i could never get to grips with it. A mini force feedback steering wheel in the middle of a control pad that I assumed you move with both your thumbs - but i'm still not sure to this day how it works! It makes the Wii-steering wheel for Mario Kart Wii seem intuitive and accurate.
I seem to be in a minority in thinking it's possibly the best solution for home racing games, with the exception of a full on top flight wheel and seat setup. Compact and very effective imo, steer with your thumbs (just as you would with an analogue stick anyway), but with some feedback from the car about what's going on, analogue accelerate and brake at your fingertips. Great design, I really don't understand why people don't love it, it mystifies me.
joefish wrote:(P.S. Did you reacall Kempston and RAM both made joystick interfaces with Cartridge ports, not just the official Sinclair Interface II? RAM later re-released a cheaper 'Turbo' joystick interface in exactly the same case, just with no connector fitted to the circuit board under the cartridge hatch).
Do you mean they released two versions of the Ram Turbo interface? Mine certainly has a functional cartridge slot.

I have one Ultimate Speccy game on cart (Cookie iirc), but it has a nasty label mark on the cover so probably not ideal for a photoshoot. Not seen it for a few years but I think I know where it is.

I do have one of these, albeit unboxed, which is very silly, but was so cheap I had to pick it up:
http://www.psillustrated.com/psillustra ... ation.html

The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:59 pm

I've got a Game Track somewhere, i'll dig it out if needed. Its all boxed and nice because i've never used it..... :lol:

edit: scratch that, its not where i thought it was....i must have binned it/given it away.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:33 pm

R.O.B. would have to go down as one of the worst peripherals.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:05 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:R.O.B. would have to go down as one of the worst peripherals.

Strange isn't it, such a piece of crap but it is still such an iconic poece of kit, just like the power glove.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:13 pm

JamesC wrote:What's a Game Track? Never heard of it. I've Googled it to no avail!

http://retro.mmgn.com/Gizmondo/Forums/P ... ntral-Unit

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:40 pm

I have a really nice Rise of the Robots if you want to use that?
Xbox Live: RetroBob

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:15 am

RetroBob wrote:I have a really nice Rise of the Robots if you want to use that?
That game really was terrible wasn't it? I bought it for the snes for 50p last year as the guy in the shop said it didn't work. I figured the cartridge case was worth that. Got it working and decided to play my new game. What a steaming turd of a game. I can see why stores allowed returns of games just because they were crap back then

joefish

Post by joefish » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:05 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Do you mean they released two versions of the Ram Turbo interface? Mine certainly has a functional cartridge slot.
Yes, there are some kicking around in an identical case, but if you open the cartridge hatch there's no connector underneath it. I've got one. The only interface I've got with a cartridge slot is the Kempston one with three joystick ports (where stupidly you can't use all three simultaneously).

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:57 pm

I don't have Shaq Fu, but I have the dubious distinction of completing the SNES version back in the day.

Yes, it was REALLY bad - Worse than even the most sensational tabloid could have ever insisted...

You should include the SNES "Super Scope" in the article.

When people would've like a light gun, they wound up getting a Bazooka-shaped accessory that ate through more batteries than a "state of the art" mobile phone at the time (back in the days when they had in-use life-span of about 25 seconds...).

While it was "OK" (and I use that in only the most general of ways), it was massively cumbersome and it's easy to see from a modern perspective why it not only nosedived, but impacted the concrete hard enough to leave an impact crater twice the size of the Soviet Union...
Where logic won't work, I will

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:45 am

In the early 90s there were some really odd gimmick joysticks.
Like this one. Its like they took a Bart Simpson action figure and attached it to a joystick.
Really uncomfortable to use. The same manufactorer also released joysticks with Batman and Terminator.
These would really take the price for most pointless gaming accessories ever.
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:21 am

Disasters you say..............