Gaming Disasters Help needed

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Gaming Disasters Help needed

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:16 am

Hi everyone, we're planning a big feature on games, systems and peripherals that were laughably bad for various reasons.
We've managed to get hold of a few things, but we're ideally looking for the following

Systems
Nokia N-Gage
Gizmondo

Peripherals
Game Track
ZX SpectrumCartridges

Games
Shaq Fu
Bubsy 3D
Mortal Kombat Mythology Sub Zero

If you've got any of these items and would be prepared to lend them to us for a photoshoot please let me know.

Darran

Sephiroth81

Re: Gaming Disasters Help needed

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:31 am

I think this is probably down to more of my incompetence and lack of persistence, but I found Namco's "Jogcon" controller, packaged in with Ridge Racer Type 4 on PS1 to be a disaster. It was just total rubbish in my opinion, and i could never get to grips with it. A mini force feedback steering wheel in the middle of a control pad that I assumed you move with both your thumbs - but i'm still not sure to this day how it works! It makes the Wii-steering wheel for Mario Kart Wii seem intuitive and accurate.

I'm sure Namco also released before, something call the "Negcon" which you twist to move left and right, I never had that, but it looked also utterly pointless.

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:44 am

I hope the only reason you're not asking for a GameGadget is because you've already got one and are already writing up the sad history of the device!
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:48 am

What's a Game Track? Never heard of it. I've Googled it to no avail!

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:55 am

Something I always found pretty disgraceful were the raft of crappy handheld LCD games flooding the market in the 90s.
Over a decade earlier Nintendo had dominated with their Game and Watch series and Granstand had made a pretty good stab at handheld LCDs with Pocket Scramble and Mini Munchman. By the 90s Tiger and Konami (among others) had grabbed loads of big licences like Batman and TMNT and made utterly cack single screen LCD games out of them. Most of them weren't even pocket sized. They were ugly, cheaply made and were sold purely on the strength of their snazzy packaging.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:05 am

I have a Gizmondo with the battery cover signed for me by Rick Dickinson, and he cannot remember signing any others, so that is a nice little item in my collection, and disaster it may have been ,it is actually quite a nice little machine, I agree the Game Gadget surely has to rank as far worse.

David

Post by David » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:10 am

Hope the feature includes either the sega activator, the u-force or the gameboy camera and printer

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:29 am

David wrote:Hope the feature includes either the sega activator, the u-force or the gameboy camera and printer
Haha, i still can't believe the Gameboy of all the handheld consoles, had a camera and a mini printer.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:08 am

Action Max?
Tyco Sega Video driver?
Video challenger?
Aura interactor
JamesC wrote:What's a Game Track? Never heard of it. I've Googled it to no avail!
PS2
I have seen one in a S/H place nearby
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Hi everyone, we're planning a big feature on games, systems and peripherals that were laughably bad for various reasons.
We've managed to get hold of a few things, but we're ideally looking for the following

Systems
Nokia N-Gage
Games
Shaq Fu
Bubsy 3D
foramt of the Shaq-fu
I got the others
Sephiroth81 wrote:
David wrote:Hope the feature includes either the sega activator, the u-force or the gameboy camera and printer
Haha, i still can't believe the Gameboy of all the handheld consoles, had a camera and a mini printer.
People still use the camera, it was mind blowing back then

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:01 am

I hope it has an Action Max!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:22 am

The Laird wrote:I hope it has an Action Max!
Ill gladly send one of mine and the two tapes I have for it, but postage costs, they will be more than it worth
Last edited by DPrinny on Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:30 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:I'm sure Namco also released before, something call the "Negcon" which you twist to move left and right, I never had that, but it looked also utterly pointless.
The NeGcon is actually a really good controller for Ridge Racer and similar racing games. The design is a stroke of genius - something completely original. It's much easier to find and hold the right degree of turn than with an analogue stick, without tying you down like a wheel setup. It doesn't really work as an analogue controller for anything else though.

Sorry I can't help with anything on that list though. I wish I did have some Speccy game cartridges!

(P.S. Did you reacall Kempston and RAM both made joystick interfaces with Cartridge ports, not just the official Sinclair Interface II? RAM later re-released a cheaper 'Turbo' joystick interface in exactly the same case, just with no connector fitted to the circuit board under the cartridge hatch).
Last edited by joefish on Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:31 am

We're only covering stuff we can feasibly get hold of as we need photography. Therefore stupidly rare and obscure stuff won't be included.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:38 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:We're only covering stuff we can feasibly get hold of as we need photography. Therefore stupidly rare and obscure stuff won't be included.
Like what?

I have a Sega Activator in a battered box..................

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:39 am

Hopefully the Tiger-R-zone, Mattel Hyperscan, and Amstradgx4000 and C64GS is included