Amiibo

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Nautical Rudie

Amiibo

Post by Nautical Rudie » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:45 pm

Saw there wasn't a topic for Amiibo, thought i'd start a thread. So has anybody been collecting them? And what are your thoughts on implementation?

I bought Captain Falcon, figure is really nice and the levelling stuff in Smash Bros is fun. Tried to pre-order Lucina from Shopto and didnt in the end due to them giving me the runaround on trying to sort it, and apparently as of now they're now not taking pre-orders. Am also going to try to pick up Game & Watch and Duck Hunt Dog when they're announced. They're limited in scope due to the small memory of the NFC chips, but giving you unlockable characters such as in Codename STEAM is a good idea, hope they keep coming up with good uses for them. Otherwise theyre just nice collectables I guess.
3DS Friend Code: 0130-1873-6926. Give me a shout if you add me!

killbot

Re: Amiibo

Post by killbot » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:09 pm

Ashens reviewed them and made what I thought was a good point - the fact that they have limited functionality is probably a GOOD thing. This way they're nice collectible statuettes that give you a little bonus when you scan them rather than being completely central to the game (as in Skylanders and Disney Infinity) thus forcing you to buy dozens of the things. As they are they're basically optional, you can happily play SSB without them if you prefer and never feel you're missing out.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:15 pm

I have Marth, Villager, Link and Fox at the moment, I've not seen anywhere near me that has any of series 2 in though.
Splink!

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:36 pm

Going for a full boxed set because i think these things look great as collectable ornaments! Here is how they are set right now;

And here are the latest arrivals from shopto;

Making a point of only buying at £10.99 or less from now on which means getting them all preordered when they are available to, will also get the classic mario set as I love their packaging.

Only missing Zelda currently and may have missed out on preordering Ness for now but I hope to find one soon. Also speaking from experience I wouldn't trust GAME with these as they tend to over preorder on them. The last wave was a struggle to find as GAME cancelled my order at the last minute! (Hence why there is no Zelda currently.) shopto have been great with wave 3 though so ordered 4 and 5 with them!
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

David

Post by David » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:42 pm

Surely they look better out the box though?

Maybe its just me :?

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:35 pm

I really like the Amiibo idea too. I bought a few for stocking fillers at Christmas so we have a Pikachu, Kirby and Yoshi. Had to have a Yoshi.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:51 pm

The figures are nice but I can't be assed to track down several of the characters I want as they've already become fairly rare. They are nice but not worth the prices they are going for on the secondary market (in my opinion). I've got Megaman preordered though as I think he'd be a pretty decent collectable to have in my collection, I'm tempted to get Link as well to unlock the exclusive weapon in Hyrule Warriors.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

HisNHer_LP

Post by HisNHer_LP » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:56 pm

I just got a wiiu and like the idea of these but the price of the ones I want are crazy, are these really that rare or is it just the Internet making them seem so?

Also, what's the deal with the limited memory I have read about?

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:10 pm

Tesco direct is the best place for them, they have most if not all available. The limited memory sucks, basically you can have save data on them from one game, if you want to use a smash amiibo in mario party you would have to delete the data from smash. That's why they are bringing out separate sets though.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:00 am

Grizzly wrote:Going for a full boxed set because i think these things look great as collectable ornaments! Here is how they are set right now;

And here are the latest arrivals from shopto;

Making a point of only buying at £10.99 or less from now on which means getting them all preordered when they are available to, will also get the classic mario set as I love their packaging.

Only missing Zelda currently and may have missed out on preordering Ness for now but I hope to find one soon. Also speaking from experience I wouldn't trust GAME with these as they tend to over preorder on them. The last wave was a struggle to find as GAME cancelled my order at the last minute! (Hence why there is no Zelda currently.) shopto have been great with wave 3 though so ordered 4 and 5 with them!
Lucky. According to my Game online preorder dispatch, they're sending me 4 of Wave 3, Sonic and Megaman. God only knows what'll happen to Rosalina and the other one, but good to see someone from the UK got one Rosalina after that jerk in America I think brought 100 of them because he hates her and doesnt want anyone to have her, while some retailers in Europe have canceled her orders.

So far, Pikachu, Marth, Wii Fit Trainer, Pit, Luigi and the Captain. Preordering the future lots and slowly catch up on the current ones....eventually.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:58 am

I got Wii Fit trainer from Game but kept her carded as I saw how much she goes for fleebay

Picked up Peach for £10 in Sainsburys and also got Zelda from Amazon she was a pre-order opened Peach and Zelda figure

Looks like I'm out of luck for Rosilina
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:11 am

Shinobi wrote:I got Wii Fit trainer from Game but kept her carded as I saw how much she goes for fleebay

Picked up Peach for £10 in Sainsburys and also got Zelda from Amazon she was a pre-order opened Peach and Zelda figure

Looks like I'm out of luck for Rosilina
Yeah some guy in America bought 200 of them
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Misery

Post by Misery » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:58 am

I have a couple of them myself as well... Mario, DK, Wii Fit Trainer.... and I like the way they're implemented in Smash. Nice quality to the figures too.

I was going to get more.... but have since lost interest in them. Due to the way they're being handled, they're just WAY too much trouble to be worth it. I'm not about to chase the bloody things down at physical stores (where they definitely wont be), and I aint handing money over to scalpers on freaking eBay either, I refuse to do that.

Oh, but I can sure buy bloody SKYLANDERS if I want! Ugh. I constantly hear that the main reason the stores around here wont carry/order more is "they dont have enough space on shelves". Possibly... just POSSIBLY.... this might have to do with the part where THEY DEVOTE AN ENTIRE WALL TO SKYLANDERS. Instead of, you know, games. There's places around here where they have more of the bloody Skylanders than they do games for the consoles. ...granted, part of that is that the stores around here are all absolutely terrible (and the gaming-focused stores are by far the worst of all), but still, I express annoyance regardless.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:37 am

Misery wrote:I have a couple of them myself as well... Mario, DK, Wii Fit Trainer.... and I like the way they're implemented in Smash. Nice quality to the figures too.

I was going to get more.... but have since lost interest in them. Due to the way they're being handled, they're just WAY too much trouble to be worth it. I'm not about to chase the bloody things down at physical stores (where they definitely wont be), and I aint handing money over to scalpers on freaking eBay either, I refuse to do that.

Oh, but I can sure buy bloody SKYLANDERS if I want! Ugh. I constantly hear that the main reason the stores around here wont carry/order more is "they dont have enough space on shelves". Possibly... just POSSIBLY.... this might have to do with the part where THEY DEVOTE AN ENTIRE WALL TO SKYLANDERS. Instead of, you know, games. There's places around here where they have more of the bloody Skylanders than they do games for the consoles. ...granted, part of that is that the stores around here are all absolutely terrible (and the gaming-focused stores are by far the worst of all), but still, I express annoyance regardless.
It was like that in GAME last weekend for me. Granted I've not been in a physical game shop for a while (online is cheaper and more convenient) but there was a whole censored ton of Skylanders stuff there, a smaller (but still prominent) presence for Disney Infinity and then just a couple of Amiibos near the checkout (priced above RRP). If they weren't so limited I'd buy more, but I've been down this road years ago when I chased rare figures and its just a pain in the ass and expensive (especially for what your ultimately getting).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:59 am

I've got Samus and Link, with Zelda on order from Amazon. I'm only interested in picking up characters I'm interested in, to go on my Nintendo shelf in my display cabinet. I too make a point of only buying them for £10.99 or less. I walked out of Game without one the other week when I saw they were selling them all at £15. The common ones too!

I see Little Mac is going for about £40 on eBay, and Pit and Captain Falcon also seem to be a bit rare these days. I've got Sonic and MegaMan on order from Game for £10.99 each, but I'm fully expecting them to cancel my order or mess it up in some way.

I think the figurines are really cool, and always take them out of the boxes. I've not used them with the game (I only have it on 3DS - can you use them with it?). I'm looking forward to other characters being released, like Duck Hunt dog :D
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com