Games and Humour

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

che_don_john

Re: Games and Humour

Post by che_don_john » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:35 am

I played Lollipop Chainsaw over xmas and that had some great jokes in it, and was generally funny throughout, loved it. Brutal Legend was quite funny in places. Bulletstorm brought a smile to my face at times, with it's tongue-in-cheek, completely over-the-top machoness; a great game that didn't take itself too seriously. And then of course there was HK-47 from KotOR. But by and large I tend to find the humour in most games to be pretty poor (I haven't played Stick of Truth yet, which I'm sure I'll love).

For example, I kept reading about how funny the character Sera in DA:I was. Now having played the game for 60+ hours I'm still yet to even raise a smile at anything she's said, and just find her painfully annoying (not to mention terribly voice-acted and modelled).
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:15 pm

I don't find many games that funny, but I remember the training level in the first Spider-Man movie game being narrated by Bruce Campbell. His abusive instructions made me laugh a few times.

Other than that, I haven't encountered a great deal of humour that actually makes me laugh in games. Maybe I'm just miserable?
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:23 pm

For me, most of the Delta 4 adventure games on the Spectrum. Bored of the Rings, The Boggit etc..

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:46 pm

che_don_john wrote:I played Lollipop Chainsaw over xmas and that had some great jokes in it, and was generally funny throughout, loved it. Brutal Legend was quite funny in places. Bulletstorm brought a smile to my face at times, with it's tongue-in-cheek, completely over-the-top machoness; a great game that didn't take itself too seriously. And then of course there was HK-47 from KotOR. But by and large I tend to find the humour in most games to be pretty poor (I haven't played Stick of Truth yet, which I'm sure I'll love).
Good point about Lollipop Chainsaw. I remember there being loads of laugh out loud moments in that game, mainly the dialogue between Nick and Juliet. Brutal had a few really good bits as well, especially a couple of Ozzy's lines. Oh yeah, and HK 47 was the man (or bot). He's like Futurama's Bender.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:14 pm

When I was younger I thought Boogerman: A Pick And Flick Adventure was hilarious, but not so much any more.
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:47 pm

SpockIOM wrote:When I was younger I thought Boogerman: A Pick And Flick Adventure was hilarious, but not so much any more.
"He thinks he's a hero ... but he's snot!" :D

On topic, think I was wrong to claim Armed & Dangerous as my first decent funny. Talked to my friend about this subject earlier and he claims I laughed like a looney at Earthworm Jim riding the hamster in the Down The Tubes level on Megadrive. I remember thinking it was pretty funny but I'll just have to take his word for it that I found it THAT hilarious.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:32 pm

Modern Warfare 2's 'No Russian' mission had me laughing like a maniac.

Lesiure Suit Larry is good for a juvenile giggle.

Sticking with that concept, who didn't at least smirk at Abe's farting?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:50 pm

Both Shadows of the Damned and Ranko Tsukigimes Longest Day both made me laugh. Both by Suda51. Wasnt as keen on Lollipop Chainsaw though and only really enjoyed the first boss from Mindless Self Indulgence.

As a kid I'm sure there were more that really tickled me like Boogerman on MD.

David

Post by David » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:55 pm

The funniest thing in a game is on fifa on the megadrive when you are about to be booked and you can run away from the ref. He will chase you forever more till you stop.

Not funny on its own, but was funny when your mate was getting mad as you do it during a 2 player

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:57 pm

Lollipop Chainsaw was funny in a "WTF?!?" way but then again, other games by Suda51 are similar, No More Heroes in particular.

All of the 3D GTA games are hilarious whether it's bonkers radio stations (I particularly like some of the ads in GTA V such as when one of the DJ's says "time to do some commercials so people can sell you some sh*t"), mad glitches or just funny NPC behaviour.

Sensible Soccer 2006 made me laugh with weird glitches or ridiculous goals out of the blue.

Toejam & Earl III is the most recent game to make me laugh, especially when you eat 'bad food' as Earl and get such classic lines as "Maggot infested salad with vomit sauce...mmm...not baaaaad" :lol:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:34 pm

Driving the drunks home in Mafia 2 was pretty funny. Also most of Minsc's lines in Baldurs GAte and sequels.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Elaine

Post by Elaine » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:14 pm

Huh, great topic (I've written my PhD thesis on humour in video games! :mrgreen: )

It's true that there aren't many games that are funny because they make you do funny stuff (some point'n'click advs like Monkey 1-2 and Day of the Tentacle are the first titles that come to mind), but there are a lot of ways to present humour in games - sometimes it's just humorous dialogue, but very often the funny stuff is in Easter eggs or content that is "hidden" in some way...
As for games that are constantly funny (or try to be), the last one I played was South Park - the Stick of Truth. I'm not even a fan of the show (I just watched a few random episodes), but I thought it was pretty funny :lol:
paranoid marvin wrote: Funniest of all for me is 'Yes Prime Minister' on the Speccy, but that plays just like an episode of the tv series, which for me was hilariously funny, and the game is just as humourous. But if you don;t get that kind of humour it's pretty dull.
I saw a cassette of that game in a "video game museum", I didn't even know it existed! It was in Rome, and I don't think many people know the series in Italy :o
PostieDoc wrote:Theme Hospital is a pretty funny game.
Yes it is, isn't it? The announcer always made me chuckle :lol:

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:49 pm

paranoid marvin wrote: Funniest of all for me is 'Yes Prime Minister' on the Speccy, but that plays just like an episode of the tv series, which for me was hilariously funny, and the game is just as humourous. But if you don;t get that kind of humour it's pretty dull.
Never played it or heard of it, but its one of my favourite tv shows so I'll have to terack it down and have a go!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:23 pm

sirpigmeat wrote:
Never played it or heard of it, but its one of my favourite tv shows so I'll have to terack it down and have a go!
You can play online here:
Game info at WoS
Online Java emu at WoS
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:29 am

One of the moments that made me laugh out loud was spotting the smiley face on rockets in the original Unreal Tournament. Unexpected but a brilliantly funny touch. The other is from Discworld with Death telling the fly "Oh b*gger off!", something which has become an in-joke between Mrs Von (a huge Discworld/Terry Pratchett fan) and I.
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/