Games and Humour

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

sirpigmeat

Games and Humour

Post by sirpigmeat » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:13 pm

Citizens of earth coming out tommorow on wiiu has got me thinking about games and humour. I was thinking at first about how many funny RPGs there were, Earthbound/Mother sprung to mind and Paper Mario of course. I guess Dragonquest games are pretty funny at times, or at least don't take themselves too serious.

What genres have the most funny games? It seems to me I can't think of many point and click adventure games that don't use humour at some point, whereas FPS genre apart from Duke Nukem, none spring to mind... Parodious was a pretty funny shooter, can't think of any others... Is there any genres that don't have any humourous games at all... Stategy games for example... I'm sure i'm missing an obvious one but can't think...

Also it seems to me in the old days it used to be more prevalent? A hell of alot of spectrum games seemed to come out that were meant to be funny... Now it doesn't seem the done thing as much, although the indie titles seem to use it more. Are games more poe faced nowadays?

Ofhand I think the games that I found funniest were: Earthbound, Super Paper Mario, Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Goemon64, Wicked Willy and How to Be a complete bastard always cracked me up when I was a kid, don't know if it still would though... So rambling screed done with... What are peoples favorite funny games...

Nemesis

Re: Games and Humour

Post by Nemesis » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:07 pm

GodHand - Great humour in that & one of the few games that made me laugh out loud. Slapstick at its finest.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:08 pm

Humor as in actually making me laugh. None I can think of. :(

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:09 pm

sensible soccer
cannon fodder
hogs of war

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:34 pm

There are loads!

Lemmings and Worms spring to mind straight away, especially for the speech.

Back To Skool and Skooldaze should get a mention too, especially when you start writing on blackboards.

There is also a lot of humour in the GTA games.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:59 pm

Obligatory Conkers bad fur day post

A lot of games try to be funny, but if its a recent one it tends to be the LOL SO RANDOM!!!11!! stuff
Nemesis wrote:GodHand - Great humour in that & one of the few games that made me laugh out loud. Slapstick at its finest.
GOD HAND should be in all caps
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:05 pm

Cant think of a full game which made me laugh but some funny moments...

Valhalla - Typing in a rude word only for one of the characters to walk over and whack you on the head
Brian Bloodaxe - I stupidly fell for the 'fake reset' at the beginning when i first loaded this game up. Also when you jumped you sometimes got your head stuck in the ceiling due to the horned helmet (fnar fnar)
Earthworm Jim - Isnt there that end of level baddie where you simply reach over and take the goldfish out of the bowl ?

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:23 pm

psj3809 wrote:Earthworm Jim - Isnt there that end of level baddie where you simply reach over and take the goldfish out of the bowl ?
Thats the secound, first level, and its Bob
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:25 pm

Both the Portal games immediately spring to mind, also No One Lives Forever.
South Park: The Stick Of Truth, but yeah, it's mainly adventures that provide humour.

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:57 pm

stvd wrote:Humor as in actually making me laugh. None I can think of. :(
I think games that extremely amused you would do. Actually games that made me laugh my arse off would be a different list.
Mainly involving watching people with 0 coordination play wiimote based games... Swimming in the wii silent hill spring to mind as
one of the funniest things i've ever seen in a game.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:12 pm

Worms is a good shout. Most Point and Click games are quite funny too, like Monkey Island and Broken Sword.

I can't think of many genuinely thigh slappingly laugh out loud funny games, but that's ok, I'm cool with just a bit of general light heartedlness, stuff like Paper Mario, Mario and Luigi, POP: Sands Of Time, No More Heroes, Metal Arms: Glitch In The System, Warioware, Timesplitters 2 & Future Perfect. Even some of the Zelda games have their moments.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:49 pm

Some point and click adventures, like the Lucasfilm ones (Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Zak McKracken), definitely... but also the Leisure Suit Larry series has is fun moments!

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:57 pm

Theme Hospital is a pretty funny game.

David

Post by David » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:08 pm

The humour went out of games when they started being made by big companies and being released worldwide

Things like skool daze, everyone's a wally, etc worked because they were being made by, and for, people who 'got' the humour

merman

Post by merman » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:15 pm

An obscure one - Stifflip & Co. Spoof comic book adventure, controlled by icons. Several funny ways to die.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube