What cheats do you remember for retro games.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Mootown

Re: What cheats do you remember for retro games.

Post by Mootown » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:43 am

Mootown wrote:Cybernoid 2 I think was redefine the keys to SEXY backwards - YXES and I think Cybernoid 1 was ORGY backwards - YGRO. Could have been the other way around... or maybe one of them was Exolon...

And in Monty on the Run, if you put your name in the high score board as 'I want to cheat' then start a new game, on the second screen is a ship in the water that kills you - pick it up and you're invincible :)

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:19 am

YXES is on of the classic cheats. Boyo got that one wrong in his book. For shame! ;)

EBORP was another Raff Cecco cheat. Solomon's Key maybe?

EUSTACHIAN TUBES and VALSALVA MANOUEVRE (I imagine I've messed up the spellings somewhat there) for The Vindicator, a terrible 'sequel' to Green Beret.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:07 am

If you called yourself "Rich" on the name input for Super Cars 1 on the Amiga, you'd get about 500,000 credits, easily enough to buy the best car and all the upgrades. Plenty of happy Richards back in the days.

Someones already put the classic Street Fighter 2 SNES cheats in. I also seem to remember for Doom 2 on DOS, you typed something like ID and a code, before you started up, and you'd get infinite ammo and all guns, and could walk through walls etc, can't remember the exact command, but one I must have used hundreds of times in the early 90s.

Holding A,B,X,Y on the character select screen in Super Mario Kart and shrinking your players was more of a gimmick than a cheat, but fun.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:20 am

'Roger Moore and Oliver Reed were never good singers'- Dalek Attack, Amiga, Infinite Lives
'Look out Aliens Spadge has dropped one'- Alien Breed, Amiga, makes Aliens disappear
'896610'- Enter on the telephone on Premier Manager, makes your team full of players with 99 for everything. On Premier Manager 2 it launches you into a fruit machine you play with your teams money, but you can't win anything. '781560' lets you win.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:36 am

The "MOTHERFUCKERKIWIBASTARD" cheat for The New Zealand Story on the Amiga, how could anyone forget it? :lol:

And the "Ten pints" on Shadow of the Beast 2, also considering that it was an insanely difficult game :x

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

DaveDoc1984

Post by DaveDoc1984 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:00 pm

Pinball Dreams on the Amiga
EXTRABALLS :) type that in as the table is scrolling up and down before you select the number of players.
In to Retro Gaming Pickup's? Light hearted reviews of both Modern Day and Retro Video Games? Check out my YouTube Channel!

http://www.youtube.com/DaveDoc1984
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1ESj3JPPnT

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:43 pm

"I want to cheat" - Monty on the run

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:30 am

There's a few I remember as well as some already mentioned:

Mortal Kombat (SMS): 212DU - enable blood
Super Empire Strikes Back: on title screen XBBYXAAX - start with force powers
Super Return of the Jedi: on title screen AABBXXYYABXYABXY - character select/debug mode?
Sim City 2000 (PC): type "fund" and accept 25% bond twice, open budget screen and issue bond at .%, repay both 25% bonds, continue - receive a load of money every year.
Donkey Kong Country: on title screen Down Y Down Down Y: play animal bonus stages
Wonder Boy 3: password "WE5T ONE" and leave the rest 0 - open world, all items, moads of money. Hades armour glitch gives infinite potions
Ecco (MD): password "PLEASE" + 2 letters the same, level password with infinite air.
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.