The Greatest Games Of All Time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

NorthWay

Re: The Greatest Games Of All Time

Post by NorthWay » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:56 am

Someone feel like breaking out their spreadsheets and do a by-platform summary now and 10 years ago?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:57 pm

Doddsy wrote:
Sephiroth81 wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:A fair point, this is probably more like 'the most popular games of all time' since as you say, there are many great games that are potentially better than those in the list that just didn't gain the popularity for mass recognition and thus votes.
A bit like how Bohemian Rhapsody and Imagine always seem to be voted as the best songs of all time (at least in the UK), when they're not even Queen or Lennons best song, by a long way!
Exactly you hit the nail on the head there. I hope that when compiling future gaming lists, they aren't going to end up like that now that the gaming industry has blossomed into what we know it as today. I mean to pick a handful of truly great games from what has been published in the last 40 years is very difficult - but not impossible?
Out of interest are you favourite games from the 8-bit home computer era?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:04 pm

Maybe... but I.was thinking of more modern games that outclass some of those on the list, not just the few 8 bit ones I think deserve a place. Stuff from PS1 & PS2 era, though not necessarily those systems.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:56 am

I was an impressionable kid when the 8-bit era was in full swing but since then, I've experienced many truly great games from the 16-bit era right up to today (Many are actually in the top 150). I suppose the bottom line is as long as a game entertains me like it's suppose to, then I'm not bothered what era it's from.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:32 am

With regards to the list, I was more surprised about the number of games designated as 'New Entry' which must have been old hat by the time the original list was published. A lot of popular 16bit console stuff for example and 32bit games which obviously weren't voted for in the same way that people voted PS3/360/Wii stuff in for this latest list.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.