The Greatest Games Of All Time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Beans

Re: The Greatest Games Of All Time

Post by The Beans » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:09 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
Sephiroth81 wrote:I dunno, Westlife and Bay City Rollers were flash in the pans aimed at a very specific teenage girl market which kind of abandoned them when they grew up, Westlife pumped out the same tripe consistently and their popularity waned so they sensibly disbanded and never heard from since. Take That have more widespread and enduring appeal and evolved :P

Incidentally, I don't scream like a teenage girl when I see Gary Barlow...... :mrgreen:
Thats it, they hit a certain demographic and hit a peak popularity but only over a limited amount of time.

Will anyone be wistfully putting candy crush saga on best games ever lists in 20 years time. I dont really think so. I dont mind it TBH, my mother enjoys it but only because its free and her sisters play it. Its sort of a little something to do while she chats to them.

Its a really popular game, but is it a great game. there is a difference.
Ok, your first sentence applies to retro games too. However good you think some old game is, it probably hit a certain demographic and peaked in popularity over a limited period of time back in the day.

People will absolutely be putting Candy Crush Saga on best games lists twenty years from now. It will depend on who you ask. You don't think they will because you see yourself as some sort of yardstick for popular taste. You're actually trapped in a little gaming bubble that contains yourself and this forum of backward looking gamers.

Whether a game is "great" or not is entirely subjective.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:42 am

I've never played Candy Crush but from what i've seen it looks like a variant of Baku Baku, Puzzle Fighter, Zoo Keeper etc and they are still considered classic games. It's the idea of paying to unlock stuff i hate. I'd just rather pay a fair price for a complete game rather than a "free" one that stops me playing for the day or asks me to cough up for the pleasure.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:14 am

I've bought two Tamagotchis in the last couple of months, both as presents. The recipients hardly ever put them down, and are aged 25 and 26. They endure!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:39 am

Phone games have an unfair advantage in regards to your free time. I play knights of pen and paper constantly just because it's in my pocket, it's always there. If I want to play Skyrim I have to make time to sit at my place PC. Knights opap definitely gets more playtime but I know which is the better game.
Scott me up beamie!

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:52 am

The Beans wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:
Sephiroth81 wrote:I dunno, Westlife and Bay City Rollers were flash in the pans aimed at a very specific teenage girl market which kind of abandoned them when they grew up, Westlife pumped out the same tripe consistently and their popularity waned so they sensibly disbanded and never heard from since. Take That have more widespread and enduring appeal and evolved :P

Incidentally, I don't scream like a teenage girl when I see Gary Barlow...... :mrgreen:
Thats it, they hit a certain demographic and hit a peak popularity but only over a limited amount of time.

Will anyone be wistfully putting candy crush saga on best games ever lists in 20 years time. I dont really think so. I dont mind it TBH, my mother enjoys it but only because its free and her sisters play it. Its sort of a little something to do while she chats to them.

Ok, your first sentence applies to retro games too. However good you think some old game is, it probably hit a certain demographic and peaked in popularity over a limited period of time back in the day.

People will absolutely be putting Candy Crush Saga on best games lists twenty years from now. It will depend on who you ask. You don't think they will because you see yourself as some sort of yardstick for popular taste. You're actually trapped in a little gaming bubble that contains yourself and this forum of backward looking gamers.

No I dont think of myself as a yardstick at all, if you read I said I dont mind the game at all and its nice to see my mother enjoying a game. So lets get that little assumption out of the way shall we. When did I ever say I did not actually like the game.

Its not so much the game as the target audience, most people who play it are not really gamers, the reason it will probably not be on lists is because the majority of people who play it now are not likely to be people on retro forums in 20 years time. or on any game forums.

As for retro games, Things like sonic and mario are on lists now because they have endured and have had multoiple sequels and people go back to them still as they are still available.

You also mention retro games also only peak at a certain time and hit a certain demographic, thats fine, except its exactly that demographic that are on sites like this actually choosing the games. As i said To most uf us, candy crush saga is a fun throwaway game that is not held up to the same esteem as classic titles. the ones enjoying it now are enjoying it but will not be joining up retro sites The average game on candy crush saga is 40 year old women. Not a group that is likley to be getting nostalgiac about the game.

Who remembers farmville now, it was just as massive and has dissappeared, noone talks about it now, the whole model of the freemium market is get the game out, make the money before people get bored and move on. Its not a market that is very well suited to inducing bouts of nostalgia 20-30 years on, hell most of the people playing it now will not even be around anymore by then.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:58 am

The Beans wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:

And another thing, as for me thinking of myself as a yardstick by not putting the game on lists, thats just my opinion, how am i doing anything different from you saying that people will be putting it on lists. I never gave an opinion on the game so how do you know what I think about it, you have assumed something and then and filled in the gaps yourself.

seems strange to have a go at me for that, and then turn around and do exactly the same thing.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:31 am

would any of you ladies like a nice cup of tea? :wink:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:41 am

gman72 wrote:would any of you ladies like a nice cup of tea? :wink:

Dunno whats up TBH. I just said I am not surprised CCS has not made an appearence and I can't personally see it ever appearing on beat ever list and you would think I took a great big censored on his favourite game of all time or something.

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:53 pm

I would like to see how many votes are attached to each position in the top 100, will number, er, 89, get just two?

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:04 pm

binaryRooster wrote:I've never played Candy Crush but from what i've seen it looks like a variant of Baku Baku, Puzzle Fighter, Zoo Keeper etc
It's a rip-off. The game they stole is called Candy Swipe.

I can't believe anyone ever played it after the news story came out. I find it very sad that people will allow things like that to happen. That company should have been put out of business immediately and the people involved looked at with disgust for the rest of their lives.

http://elitedaily.com/news/technology/i ... ars-later/

Every time I hear about someone playing that game I feel sorry for the creator of the original game.

King.com are nasty pathetic excuses for humans. I hope they go bust.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:40 am

These would have to be my current top 10 games…

1) Super Mario World – Super Nintendo (such a huge game at the time, in terms of platform gaming could not be more perfect)
2) Goldeneye – Nintendo 64 (so many hours lost to playing the multiplayer on this, really pioneered things)
3 ) Paperboy – Arcade, Commodore Amiga, Sega Megadrive (So great I bought the arcade machine)
4) Skool Daze – Commodore 64 (as a school kid at the time, what better way to live the dream)
5) Speedball 2 – Commodore Amiga (honestly I could put in most Bitmap Bros games, they are all so good, but you just could not stop playing this game when you started)
6) Twisted Metal 2 – Sony Playstation
7) Outrun 2 SP – Xbox/PS2 / Arcade (I loved the original, but this version, just cannot be beaten)
8 ) Street Fighter 2 Turbo – Super Nintendo (A game again that had everyone I knew at the time playing)
9) Dr Mario – Gameboy/Snes/Nes – (Addictive and awesome)
10) Red Dead Redemption – Xbox 360 – (Such an amazing open world game, just edges it over GTA for me.)

I would love to have put Outrun in this list, but as I’ve got Outrun 2, I guess I’ll have to stick with that.

I kept trying to email this to the email address in the email that was sent out, but it does not work.
WANTED: ANY SNES or GAMEBOY GAMES, OR EMPTY BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS, going for FULL SETS of both.

Wookiee

Post by Wookiee » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:41 pm

Here's my carefully thought out list..... in alphabetical order

Bubble Bobble

I've sunk a lot of hours into this simple, fun yet challenging game..... and the music is one of most deadly ear worms in existence

Championship Manager 94 End of Season

The definitive version for me, simple enough to pick up and play without becoming an obsessive social recluse, none of this silly in game graphic nonsense either or players with 500 stats.

Civilisation

Brilliant depth and endless replay factor....borders on educational at times with the background info offered

Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun

Great Dungeons and Dragons game, mixing the top down views with the classic first person dungeons should have spawned a lot of sequels but left as an isolated example of how things should have been done.

Goldeneye 007

Classic FPS. Classic multiplayer back when that meant lugging kit to each other's houses. One shot Pistols on Facility is still one of gaming's best treats

Halo: Combat Evolved

Genre defining game, killer app for the Xbox as well but the atmosphere it evoked was it's best achievement for me.

Hired Guns

Another moody one, great fun as a dark sci fi RPG..... doubled up as a decent multiplayer deathmatch if you fire up the Lemming Wars 2 level and have a gentleman's agreement to fight it out amongst yourselves without jumping down into any lemming "pits".

Morrowind

Amazing scale, complex and at times brutally hard RPG glory

Scramble

Classic arcade shoot em up action. A childhood love that's never really waned

UFO Enemy Unknown

Perfect timing for release (think it came out around the same time as the X Files show) and after not including Rebelstar/Laser Squad there had to be a Gollop game in the top 10 somewhere.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:58 am

This list will now be forming the backbone of our 150th issue.
It's still not too late to enter, so make sure you tell us your top ten games of all time in order of preference so we can include them.
Please make sure it's 10

Darran

davyK

Post by davyK » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:57 am

Just re-read my list and see I've left out Asteroids Deluxe and Tempest/T2K. Just too hard to keep it to 10.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:47 am

davyK wrote:Just re-read my list and see I've left out Asteroids Deluxe and Tempest/T2K. Just too hard to keep it to 10.
I found it near impossible to keep to 10 and that 10 would almost certainly change on a weekly, maybe daily basis. Going to be an interesting list I think, I doubt many of my picks will feature on it though looking at what other people have picked. A lot of those games wouldn't even feature in my top 500 let alone 100, but hey if we all thought the same the world would be a very boring place! :lol: