The Greatest Games Of All Time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RodimusPrime

Re: The Greatest Games Of All Time

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:13 pm

Doddsy wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned Candy Crush Saga. Yes I know it rips off Bejewelled but it totally changed mobile gaming in terms of sales and marketing and it really got in with mass culture. It got downloaded by about a Zillion girls and lads and we haven't seen video gaming popularity like that since the days of Pacman...
I am surprised that someone on this forum is actually surprised no-one has chosen Candy crush in a top ten.

Why on earth would you expect them to.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:23 pm

If someone told me Candy Crush is one of the greatest video games of all time I would personally post a censored through their letterbox.

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:30 pm

STranger81 wrote:If someone told me Candy Crush is one of the greatest video games of all time I would personally post a censored through their letterbox.
I agree but if sales and popularity were to be the deciding factor then I'm afraid you'd be posting a lot.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:37 pm

Doddsy wrote:
STranger81 wrote:If someone told me Candy Crush is one of the greatest video games of all time I would personally post a censored through their letterbox.
I agree but if sales and popularity were to be the deciding factor then I'm afraid you'd be posting a lot.

Its a free game thats available on a social networking site used by countless millions.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:28 pm

It is your top ten greatest games of all time.
Not the ones you think were the most influential, or sold the most. The ten games you think are the best.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:22 pm

Doddsy wrote:
Tbh if somebody had put Candy Crush Saga in their top ten, I would think fair play. It's a game which is very popular despite what some of the gaming snobs might think. That's not me having a go at anyone on this forum, just that just because a game doesn't have skill trees or gun fondling doesn't mean that it is irrelevant or insubstantial to be considered in someone's top ten.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:29 pm

True point there - I was considering putting Hill Climb Racing in my list, think I've played that more than any other game over the past two years...
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Flint

Post by Flint » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:01 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
Doddsy wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned Candy Crush Saga. Yes I know it rips off Bejewelled but it totally changed mobile gaming in terms of sales and marketing and it really got in with mass culture. It got downloaded by about a Zillion girls and lads and we haven't seen video gaming popularity like that since the days of Pacman...
I am surprised that someone on this forum is actually surprised no-one has chosen Candy crush in a top ten.

Why on earth would you expect them to.
Yeah this is a Retro forum and many of lists in this thread don't feature any games released in the last 15 years, it seems unlikely that Candy Crush would be the one exception.

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:54 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
Doddsy wrote:

Its a free game thats available on a social networking site used by countless millions.
Not quite free the evil little game has you buying extra lives and other useless things to progress. I know people who have spent hundreds of pounds on it. No wonder they call it Candy Crack Saga! :wink:

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:36 pm

Played it, hit a pay wall with in 15 minutes.
They made a new version called Candy crush 2 Soda somethingorother

The South park episode Freemium Isn’t Free got it bang on about a lot of these games

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:03 pm

Doddsy wrote:

By that logic Westlife are one of the greatest bands of all time

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:21 pm

I'm around level 300 on Candy Crush, that's without dropping a penny on it, it's a ten mnute time waster of a game, nothing more, nothing less.
Splink!

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:50 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
Doddsy wrote:

By that logic Westlife are one of the greatest bands of all time
Technically they are! They are a pop group and as such have catered for that audience making them one of the greatest pop bands of all time along with Take That and The Bay City Rollers! :wink:

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:08 am

I dunno, Westlife and Bay City Rollers were flash in the pans aimed at a very specific teenage girl market which kind of abandoned them when they grew up, Westlife pumped out the same tripe consistently and their popularity waned so they sensibly disbanded and never heard from since. Take That have more widespread and enduring appeal and evolved :P

Incidentally, I don't scream like a teenage girl when I see Gary Barlow...... :mrgreen:

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:05 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:I dunno, Westlife and Bay City Rollers were flash in the pans aimed at a very specific teenage girl market which kind of abandoned them when they grew up, Westlife pumped out the same tripe consistently and their popularity waned so they sensibly disbanded and never heard from since. Take That have more widespread and enduring appeal and evolved :P

Incidentally, I don't scream like a teenage girl when I see Gary Barlow...... :mrgreen:
Thats it, they hit a certain demographic and hit a peak popularity but only over a limited amount of time.

Will anyone be wistfully putting candy crush saga on best games ever lists in 20 years time. I dont really think so. I dont mind it TBH, my mother enjoys it but only because its free and her sisters play it. Its sort of a little something to do while she chats to them.

Its a really popular game, but is it a great game. there is a difference.

like Sephiroth said, sometimes things come along and selll like wildfire for a brief period. look at tamagotchis, people went crazy over those and they sold crap loads but would many people list it as one og their fave toys of all time.