The Greatest Games Of All Time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TheNewMonkey

Re: The Greatest Games Of All Time

Post by TheNewMonkey » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:47 pm

This is hard! probably loads I've forgot about but off the top of my head without thinking about it too much im going for...

Super Mario World (SNES)
Goldeneye (N64)
Sonic (MD)
Sonic 2 (MD)
Super Mario 64 (N64)
Shenmue (DC)
F-Zero (SNES)
Diddy Kong Racing (N64)
Bomberman (SNES)
BioShock series (360)
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:45 am

pratty wrote:I took the "greatest games of all time" to mean just that. I'm partial to a retro game as much as the next person, and I have a lot of sentimental and nostagic reasons to pick some older games, but I'm not afraid to call a spade a spade, if I think a modern game is better I have no problem saying so. As a result none of my picks pre-date the N64 and I'm fine with that. It's not really a poor reflection of previous generations, it's just that I can only pick 10 games. :)
Yep, it is all about definition too, as well as your ten only limit. It depends how you define 'greatest games' of course. My list consists of my favourites...some of which I don't consider greatest games made at all- Just the ones I personally enjoy(ed) the most. :)

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:46 am

10 but in no particular order, but with reasons. these are all games that mean something to me

cannon fodder- we used to play a demo of this on the a320s at school, when i started my buying/selling of snes consoles i bought a copy of this, and to this day regret selling my boxed complete copy.

sensible soccer- played on the snes with my friend, loved doing the harsh tackles and scoring from the half way line

lemmings- a really fun puzzle game, an example of how puzzles can be fun

f1 grand prix 2- thief of time when i was a student, used to play this with radio 1 on in the background, mark and lard and then chris moyles. constantly trying to tune an extra mile an hour from the car

gran turismo- early-mid 2000s played on backward compatibility on my ps2, it was as if someone had said 'if you want to play racing games, you need to learn HOW to play racing games'

super off road- played in the arcade at warner bros cinema in bury in the mid 90s with my mates, rented it from blockbuster video and loved it, wanted it for years, now have it on md (imported from america) and master system (imported from germany)

f15 strike eagle 2- we got our first pc as a family in 89, one of the first games i ever played and i loved it, flying around the middle east and persian gulf taking out planes, radars, airbases, missiles etc. epic fun when you are 8, and soon i'll buy a copy again and see if its epic fun aged nearly 34

vice city- rewrote the rule book when released, one of the reasons i bought a ps2 and my gaming was kickstarted all over again.

micro machines turbo tournament 96- micro machines games are a bit of an obsession for me, this was the best by far in my opinion, although they were all amazing

toca 2- better than 1, loved progressing through the ranks (formula ford, fiesta, etc) plus i am a massive btcc fan so this for me is like fifa or pro evo to a football fan

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:37 pm

1 . Populous II - A sequel that improved on the original. Having different elemental knights as well as powers really added to the game. Great in single player - but really comes to the fore when playing in multiplayer over a serial cable! A good reason to get a 1 Mb on an old Amiga A500. Great game.

2. Elite - What more can be said? The grandfather of sandbox games. There's a couple of different versions - and I really like the updated one "Oolite" - but I suppose that I have the fondest memories of the C64's version.

3. Bubble Bobble - Simple arcade action - but very addictive. Cute dragons and a catchy soundtrack. The arcade version is good - but I love the Spectrum 128's version on disk. Many great memories of that.

4. Civilization - Perhaps Sid Meier's finest game. So many different aspects to the game : city creation, money management, science research, armies to be organised and trading. The original just seems to be so well done - I don't think the sequels can match it. A great game for DOS PCs. Really addictive as well.

5. Gauntlet II - In the arcade - this rocked. The original is great as well - but I suppose that the sequel has more variety. In multiplayer it is amazing. "Elf needs food - badly!" :lol: It's great on both the ST and Amiga - but I have so many great memories of the arcade machine - to me - that's the definitive version. Hey - you got to player it on a four players cabinet.

6. Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge - A superb racer. Yes, it's arcadey rather a simulation(like Grammond's F1 series) - but it's FUN! Racing for positions on varied tracks was superb. Watch out for puddles, road signs, oil, rocks, your opponent and running out of fuel! Superb fun on the Amiga.

7. Monkey Island - The original - and probably still the best of the series. Great humour - and showing that the adventure game had come of age, what with a great interface. It's the Amiga version again - and this time it's not one too many disks(but the sequel was - and it was a nightmare!).

8. F19 Stealth Fighter - A superb flight simulation. This one was a bit less about air-to-air combat(but there was still some) - you had to use the "stealth" of your craft. Many missions and many maps. Managed to balance serious flight simulation with gameplay as well - which I don't think that many later games did as well. Great fun on the Amiga.

9. Rainbow Islands - More simple arcade fun from Bub and Bob. This time, they are human and shoot "rainbows". Really good fun - and it's good that it went in a different direction to its prequel - just a shame that it misses multiplayer. It's great in the arcade - but I do like the Amiga version - and I think the control system on that is better.

10. Tie Fighter - A reason to buy a DOS PC alone - well, perhaps the prequel X-Wing was! The sequel however, expands on the X-Wing - playing on the "Dark Side" is a lot more fun. It's interesting seeing the Empire's storyline - and also the different types of Tie Fighters available. The game is a flight simulation - but in space. Superb stuff. You do need a decent analogue joystick. One of LucasArts finest outings.

PAC

Post by PAC » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:03 pm

My Ten are in.

But can i also put a shout out for some sub-charts.. Top 10 Publishers / Fighters / Sports Sims / Platforms etcetera.

Apologies if this all happened as part of the ceremony last time !

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:39 pm

Katzkatz wrote:5. Gauntlet II - In the arcade - this rocked. The original is great as well - but I suppose that the sequel has more variety. In multiplayer it is amazing. "Elf needs food - badly!" :lol: It's great on both the ST and Amiga - but I have so many great memories of the arcade machine - to me - that's the definitive version. Hey - you got to player it on a four players cabinet.
I have fond memories of this on the PC - even if the title screen music made it sound like your PC had just broken :lol:

Feast your ears on this.

Still, I suppose it is kind of impressive for PC speaker and who cares when you have four player support on the same keyboard? A stroke of genius that. Like you say, multiplayer was amazing and the PC version nails it (no pun intended).

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:21 am

I dont think I could ever accurately list my greastest of all time, so ill go with the theory of games I keep going back to!

1. LoZ: A Link to the Past
2. Super Metroid
3. Castlevania SotN
4. Secret of Mana
5. FFVII
6. Half Life 2
7. Portal
8. Street Fighter Alpha III
9. Shadow of the Colossus
10. Metal Gear Solid

There are many, many more I play regularly (recently, the Mass Effect Trilogy) but time will tell whether I go back to those games!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:22 am

Katzkatz wrote:5. Gauntlet II - In the arcade - this rocked. The original is great as well - but I suppose that the sequel has more variety. In multiplayer it is amazing. "Elf needs food - badly!" :lol: It's great on both the ST and Amiga - but I have so many great memories of the arcade machine - to me - that's the definitive version. Hey - you got to player it on a four players cabinet.
It's a beautiful game, I really should've put the Spectrum version in my list - with equally impressive music. Alas, only two players on the same keyboard, but at the time I didn't know any better, so who was I to complain?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Raggyt

Post by Raggyt » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:30 pm

1. SWOS
2. Monkey Island 2
3. Final Fantasy VII
4. Zelda - Link's Awakening
5. Half-Life 2
6. Halo 2
7. Tetris
8. Zelda - A Link To The Past
9. Tomb Raider
10. Renegade
Go to the pub. Play pool, darts & dominoes. No thanks. If they had video games down my local i'd be there. They don't. Gaming is everything to me. The older the better.

BrunoFonseca

Post by BrunoFonseca » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:45 pm

1 - Star Control II
2 - Little Big Adventure
3 - The Secret of Monkey Island
4 - Tetris
5 - Super Mario Galaxy
6 - Lemmings
7 - Diablo
8 - Mortal Kombat
9 - Chrono Trigger
10 - To the Moon
Regards,
Bruno Fonseca

shakeyournoggin

Post by shakeyournoggin » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:53 am

1. Skies of Arcadia
2. Super Mario 64
3. Red Dead Redemption
4. Bioshock
5. GTA: Vice City
6: Halo: Combat Evolved
7. Sonic 3
8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
9. Silent Hill 2
10. Half Life

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:52 am

I've not managed to trawl through all the lists, but still a fair proportion of them....has Ocarina of Time got much love?? Its quite surprising how little mention it has received considering how lauded it was from about 1998 till 2011. Its not on my list, and never has been, but still a surprise it lacks the popular vote.

Perhaps we are not a very big on the Nintendo 64 as a forum.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:56 am

I'm surprised there hasn't been more love for Red Dead Redemption as many consider it the best game of the last generation.
It is very difficult to pick just 10 games, I could easily swap out 8 of the ones I have picked.

David

Post by David » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:14 pm

Would also like to add The Punisher (CPS1)

No other game in the genre even comes close to it imo

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:11 pm

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Candy Crush Saga. Yes I know it rips off Bejewelled but it totally changed mobile gaming in terms of sales and marketing and it really got in with mass culture. It got downloaded by about a Zillion girls and lads and we haven't seen video gaming popularity like that since the days of Pacman...