Franchises companies don't seem to know what to do with

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RodimusPrime

Franchises companies don't seem to know what to do with

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:34 pm

There are a lot of companies sitting on good franchises, yet seem reluctant to do anything with them.

Is it A} they have no interest in them, B} they dont think there is a market for them, or C} they just don't know how to approach a new version.

EA for example are content to sit on Road rash and the Strike series, despite these games being 2 16bit franchises that would translate to 3D pretty well.

Despite having a pretty solid rep and the Wii-U lacking RPGs, Nintendo seem to have no intention of touching Earthbound at all.

or is it simply that there have been too many hal assed attempts to update games that have resulted in pretty crappy games.

outdated_gamer

Re: Franchises companies don't seem to know what to do with

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:49 pm

There's a lot. Some were really good franchises too, so it's a shame there's no modern entries. Like you said, EA, Activision and MS have tons of great franchises they do nothing with but Sony, Sega and Nintendo have many too which they seemingly "cleaned under the carpet". I think it's a mixure of thinking that the games wouldn't sell as well as the higher-ups not even knowing they own these franchises and also not giving them the threatment they would deserve, often outsourcing them to some 3rd rate/novice developer rather than industry vets. Mix that with poor advertising and there's no wonder the games don't do well, although there might be a potentially big market for them.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:07 pm

Personally, I'd rather see new stuff rather than rehashed franchises. The ones you mention there were ideas of their time. I suspect any revisit would alienate the old audience for being different and not appeal to newer gamers who have no connection with them.

A new Mr Do would be welcome though. .. and maybe a bombjack. ..
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:09 pm

slacey1070 wrote:Personally, I'd rather see new stuff rather than rehashed franchises. The ones you mention there were ideas of their time. I suspect any revisit would alienate the old audience for being different and not appeal to newer gamers who have no connection with them.

A new Mr Do would be welcome though. .. and maybe a bombjack. ..

I dont understand the " newer gamers would have no connection to them ". does that not also apply to a brand new franchise.

If a games done well, it does not matter, and remaking a franchise does not have to be a rehash. an old franchise can be reinvented in a new way that everyone likes.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:10 pm

I think a new road rash and strike game would be ace. The 32bit versions of the strike games I really enjoyed. Also the 32but versions of the rash series were also pretty good.

Sega and streets of rage should be a no brainer. Would do well as a digital download rather than a full retail release.

Nintendo are also slow off the mark with certain games but they have at least gave some effort in recent times with kid Icarus etc... F zero really needs a new title though, it's just been too long since the last one.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:14 pm

New franchises get a big marketing push. A revisited Road Rash would probably get little money spent on it.

Look at a bionic commando. .. It bombed despite being quite good.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:21 pm

slacey1070 wrote:New franchises get a big marketing push. A revisited Road Rash would probably get little money spent on it.

Look at a bionic commando. .. It bombed despite being quite good.
but I could counter that argument with companies making the effort.

Outrun 2 came out of nowhere and was a brilliant update.

Fallout 3, was a complete change and a great update.

Metroid Prime did really well.

Streetfighter IV went in a new direction.

Even the likes of Mario 64 going to 3d, or GTA III reinventing itself as a full 3D open world game

Call of duty moving from WWII and reinventing itself as a modern day shooter.

metal gear has been off the radar for years until it reappeared on the PS1.

Kid Icarus on the 3DS

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:30 pm

Yes but were any of those dormant franchises?

Road Rash for example hasn't been touched for a number of years. ..

outrun 2 was brilliant. ..especially on the psp. But don't think it sold that we'll did it? I picked it up cheaply fairly quickly after release.

Agreed that Road Rash would be fun though...

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:35 pm

slacey1070 wrote:Yes but were any of those dormant franchises?

Road Rash for example hasn't been touched for a number of years. ..

outrun 2 was brilliant. ..especially on the psp. But don't think it sold that we'll did it? I picked it up cheaply fairly quickly after release.

Agreed that Road Rash would be fun though...
metal gear, metroid, outrun, and kid icarus were dormant.

errolwd40

Post by errolwd40 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:39 pm

I would like to see Nintendo revisit Waveracer, not seen since the days of the Gamecube around 2002.

The N64 version was superb, the cube version less so but still very decent.

Maybe a proper update of Golden axe or Alien Storm from Sega, the golden axe game made in 2008 was not really a genuine update in my opinion and we are long overdue.

On the subject of Sega how about giving the poor hedgehog a break and making a new Ristar instead?

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:41 pm

errolwd40 wrote:I would like to see Nintendo revisit Waveracer, not seen since the days of the Gamecube around 2002.

The N64 version was superb, the cube version less so but still very decent.

Maybe a proper update of Golden axe or Alien Storm from Sega, the golden axe game made in 2008 was not really a genuine update in my opinion and we are long overdue.

On the subject of Sega how about giving the poor hedgehog a break and making a new Ristar instead?
Dont mention giving sonic a break, I suggested that before and got lambasted.

Waverace would be amazing, I loved the N64 one.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:42 pm

Like I said in some other thread, publishers these days seem to be hell-bent on milking a franchise that seemingly does well as much as they can (so-called "annualization" - established franchises getting yearly continuations) while forgotten ones seem to be all but utilized or, at best, they make some half-assed "HD port" or cut down mobile release. Although part of the blame is also on gamers these days who seem to eat up everything that is served to them while being ignorant of the actual gems that are usually put on the side.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:42 pm

When it comes to this subject I could go on forever and I think the worst offenders are the very guys who were there at the beginning.

Firstly we have Warner Bros., who now own all the back catalogues of Midway, Williams and Atari Games. That includes stuff like Robotron, Defender, STUN Runner, RoadBlasters, 720 Degrees, Joust, Paperboy, Smash TV, NBA Jam, Xenophobe, Spy Hunter, GORF, Xybots, NARC, Hard Drivin' . . . I could go on and on.

Some of these are ripe for updates/reboots/sequels while others would make great games for portable devices, especially the 3DS. I mean could you imagine games like STUN Runner, RoadBlasters, Robotron X, Xybots and Hard/Race Drivin' in glorious 3D like Sega have done with their games? Would be fantastic. There is a bit of hope now though after seeing what they have done with Gauntlet, although why that is only a PC game is anyone's guess.

And as I mentioned them, there is also Sega of course. They are just sitting on a ton of great IP with titles like Streets Of Rage, Shinobi, Toe Jam & Earl, Phantasy Star, OutRun, Wonder Boy, Space Harrier, Hang On, Zaxxon, Alex Kidd, Nights, Columns, Panzer Dragoon, Crazy Taxi and many more. Again there is still hope given what they have done already with some of their I.P., but seems strange that they have ignored some really obvious titles.

Taito might now be part of Square Enix but why is so much of their IP being ignored? All we seem to get are endless Space Invaders and Bust-A-Move games with games like New Zealand Story, Bubble Bobble, Operation Wolf, Chase H.Q., Arkanoid, Darius, Rastan, Qix, Renegade and many more being left to rot.

And lastly there is the company that call themselves Atari these days. To be fair they have tried many times to resurrect some of their I.P.but just always seem to make a total mess of it. Star Raiders could have been brilliant, it was a bit rubbish. Yars Revenge was flawed and the Haunted House mobile game was just a joke. Centipede Infestation could have been great with a bit more work. There current strategy seems to mostly involve mobile games like Breakout Boost and Outlaw. They have such a rich library of great titles they could update, I mean imagine Tempest 2000 on the 3DS? That would be amazing, as would Missile Command 3D. Star Raiders could be a brilliant online space exploration game, Outlaw could be something more akin to Red Dead Redemption and who wouldn't love to see a new Ninja Golf game? :lol:

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:57 pm

yep its a shame. The worst thing is that companies dont see a market, but then a game comes along and explodes in popularity. If fills a gap that an older franchise could have.

perfect example, Tony hawks took off massively. a 720, or Skate or die could have been in there.

Criterion + bikes + Road rash Franchise. Whats not to like.

A new pitfall game done in the same lush style as the recent Raymanlegends/origins games.

and you mention wonderboy and alex kidd. look at sonic lost worlds, it was basically a nod to mario galaxy, but had the complete wrong type of main character ( sonic is a speed based character. Alex kidd, Wonderboy, hell even kid chameleon are the same squat sort type of characters that would slip into a Super mario 3d world game perfectly. slower based and a little exploration. Hell wonderboy and kid chameleon already have the costume/charater changing pedigree to fit within the whole style.

look at a game like Dragons crown, a truly amazing game that was crying out to have the Golden axe licence on it.

and yes a range of 3d classics involving missile command, Stun runner and tempest would work amazingly well on the 3DS ( as people know I am not a huge atari fan, but anyone can see the potential there )

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:30 pm

+1 for Wonder Boy and Kid Chameleon. And dare I suggest a Ghosts & Goblins reboot? Maybe Wizards and Warriors and Jetman too?

Oh, and did Space Station Silicon Valley ever get a sequel?
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.