SEGA 3D Classics series (3DS)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroBob

SEGA 3D Classics series (3DS)

Post by RetroBob » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:35 pm

Has anyone been playing these?

M2 have been doing a fantastic job of presenting classic arcade and console versions of SEGA games on the 3DS, each with new features to mess with (like sounds recorded from the moving arcade machines!). SEGA release an interview with the developers on their blog, it's really interesting to see the challenges of working with these old games. I normally balk at any talk of 3D but for some reason these games just work for me, must be the added SEGA!

After Burner II (Arcade version) is out this Thursday, cannot wait for this - I can see it working really well in 3D (Galaxy Force II does). Outrun is on its way too :-)

Here's a link to the blog post (you can read back on the older games posts too)
http://blogs.sega.com/2015/01/12/sega-3 ... rn-part-1/

Already out there are...

Sonic The Hedgehog (MD)
Super Hang On (Arcade)
Space Harrier (Arcade)
Ecco the Dolphin (MD)
Galaxy Force II (Arcade)
Altered Beast (MD)
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master (MD)
Streets of Rage (MD)
Xbox Live: RetroBob

slacey1070

Re: SEGA 3D Classics series (3DS)

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:42 pm

Only played Galaxy Force and Space Harrier... Both fantastic and the 3d is excellent.

Can't wait for Outrun!
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:52 am

I have all the games out so far and they are fantastic, they have got more play time on my 3DS than anything else I own by far. Galaxy Force II is my favourite, the 3D is just amazing on this game and I absolutely adore the soundtrack. I will be buying After Burner 2, OutRun and Fantasy Zone as soon as they hit the eShop.

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:07 am

I've got Galaxy Force 2, Shinobi and Super Hang On, and they're all brilliant. The 3D makes games like Hang On and Galaxy Force so great. I'd never played Galaxy Force 2 before and couldn't believe I'd missed such a gem! Will def be getting Space Harrier and Outrun
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:18 am

I'd never played Galaxy Force II (or I) either (other than the Mega Drive and Master System games which were very little like the arcade) so it was a nice surprise. These are pretty much all I play on the 3DS at the moment though I do have Luigi and Super Putty waiting in the wings.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:23 pm

I have Space Harrier and Galaxy Force II on my 3DS and I really enjoyed them, especially the former with being able to mess about with button sounds, screen tilt etc. :)

From the currently available list, I'm still interested in grabbing Streets of Rage and Super Hang-On. I will also be downloading Outrun and Afterburner II as they are great games and I can see them looking amazing in 3D!

Was anything released in Japan from the first 'run' of 3D Classics that didn't make it out over here? I was sure that Golden Axe was given the 3D treatment but I might have just gotten mixed up.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Minerals

Post by Minerals » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:57 am

Ive been waiting so long for Outrun 3D to come out, I really dont understand why Sega hasnt done anything else with the franchise since Outrun 2/Coast to Coast.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:08 am

Minerals wrote:Ive been waiting so long for Outrun 3D to come out, I really dont understand why Sega hasnt done anything else with the franchise since Outrun 2/Coast to Coast.

That would be the Ferrari license running out again, was delisted from Xbox Live a couple of years ago for that reason. They probably are being blocked from using the Outrun name as it is synonymous with Ferrari as well.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:10 am

Grizzly wrote:
Minerals wrote:Ive been waiting so long for Outrun 3D to come out, I really dont understand why Sega hasnt done anything else with the franchise since Outrun 2/Coast to Coast.
That would be the Ferrari license running out again, was delisted from Xbox Live a couple of years ago for that reason. They probably are being blocked from using the Outrun name as it is synonymous with Ferrari as well.

The 3DS version desn't have a Ferrari, just a generic red car. Sega confirmed it's coming soon on Facebook the other day.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:15 pm

I've got Sonic, Ecco & Space Harrier up to now, ill be getting OutRun and Fantasy Zone as soon as there available, im holding off on the others as im hoping sega bring them all out on a single cart like they have in japan :D
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:23 pm

Super Hang On isn't perfect - it does look like the bikes are hovering slightly above the roadway. I hope they get it right for OutRun. My favourite is always Space Harrier, and I've always found Afterburner just completely uncontrollable.

What I'd really like to see given the 3DS overhaul is Power Drift.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:00 am

SEGA's 3D Classics return this summer with SEGA Mega Drive games for Nintendo 3DS: http://bit.ly/1EzUZDY

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:28 am

Another Sega announcement:

3D Fantasy Zone II launches April 16th on the Nintendo 3DS!

Read part two of our interview with developer M2 and discover the all new mode developed exclusively for the 3DS version. http://bit.ly/1CX64Jw

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:53 am

Streets of Rage 2, Sonic 2 and Gunstar Heroes!

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:02 am

Usually I just wait for a sale, but certainly picking up those 3 on day one.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.