Snooker/pool games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

flatapex

Re: Snooker/pool games

Post by flatapex » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:46 pm

thingonaspring wrote:yeah, sorry that's what i mean. i didn't know there was an arcade pool 2 from team 17 at all, on any platform. :lol: :oops:
completely missed that, and the original amiga version was one of my favourite games :D
i found it be accident, had no idea if it would be any good. if you find a way to play it, you wont be disappointed

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:57 pm

flatapex wrote:
Megamixer wrote: Side Pocket (Mega Drive) - Plays great and has amazing, super cool music.
tempted to import it :D
No need mate, there's a PAL version that runs nicely.

The Side Pocket home games were adapted from the Pool Gal arcade games for consoles like the NES, GB, Mega Drive, SNES etc. They are very similar just with all the dirty stuff removed and all the work of Data East (well...I'm not sure that every single port was an in-house DE job but it's all their IP). Side Pocket 2 and 3 were Japanese exclusives for the Saturn and then the series was done as far as I know with the IP ending up with whoever currently owns Data East's stuff.

Not sure about the SNES version but the Mega Drive version sees the player as a pool hustler biking from one American state to another to get through the various matches. It still has the pictures of the women upon beating a stage but it's all very clean unlike the arcade games. I'm assuming that the SNES version didn't even have those judging by Shinobi's earlier post but then we all know that games on the SNES were either censored or modified somewhat.

It's a great game anyway and the music is either really chilled out or just cool in a bit of a jazzy way. Some of the trick shots I found impossible but multi-player is a lot of fun (especially when lucky flukes occur!).
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:01 pm

Juuuust kidding.

I liked Jimmy White's plus a game on the Archimedes, think it was Break 147/Superpool.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:08 pm

Hail to the king, baby!

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:01 pm

Monkey Billiards does the job for me. I would never buy a dedicated snooker/pool game.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

merman

Post by merman » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:12 pm

PaulEMoz wrote:
merman wrote:I enjoyed American 3D Pool and Championship 3D Snooker on the C64.

Of course, there's Archer Maclean's excellent games on various formats, and Nick Pelling's 3D Pool (looks great on the BBC Micro).
I really liked Rack 'Em on the C64. It was really enjoyable to play.
Good call, I enjoyed that series of Accolade sports games (Fast Break, Serve & Volley, Grand Prix Circuit).
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:59 pm

Liamh1982 wrote: Lunar Pool (NES) - maybe not to everyone's tastes but I like it.
Used to play that one for hours on end, on one of those Famiclone things shaped like an N64 controller. Alternates between addictive, relaxing and stressful, love it!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

hanging

Post by hanging » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:26 am

sscott wrote:Image
Virtual pool 3 by a mile.
A proper 'shooting' mechanic where you push the mouse forward), or using your finger on the iPad.
Great game. Put many hours into this and Virtual Pool 4.
Abandonrom Paradise - Back one day.....
DaFastLane - news, views and random babble

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:39 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
Liamh1982 wrote: Lunar Pool (NES) - maybe not to everyone's tastes but I like it.
Used to play that one for hours on end, on one of those Famiclone things shaped like an N64 controller. Alternates between addictive, relaxing and stressful, love it!
I thought it was terrible... :wink:

Very bad control.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:39 pm

Nah, it's fine once you get used to it. One button to change the direction, one for the power of the shot and so on. Nice music too.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.