Snooker/pool games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

flatapex

Re: Snooker/pool games

Post by flatapex » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:41 pm

Megamixer wrote: Side Pocket (Mega Drive) - Plays great and has amazing, super cool music.
tempted to import it :D

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:51 pm

Jimmy Whites Whirlwind Snooker on the Amiga of course.

Steve Davis Snooker on C16 too.

HisNHer_LP

Post by HisNHer_LP » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:54 pm

I think side pocket was the one I played, is that where you go from pub to pub betting and playing people? I'm sure there was one on the snes that was fun to play too.

Also, me and friends used to spend hours on GTA San Andreas just playing the two player pool, gutted it has never come back into the GTA games as it was fun, we used to put the odd 50p and cups of tea on the games too, was a good laugh

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:54 pm

merman wrote:I enjoyed American 3D Pool and Championship 3D Snooker on the C64.

Of course, there's Archer Maclean's excellent games on various formats, and Nick Pelling's 3D Pool (looks great on the BBC Micro).
I really liked Rack 'Em on the C64. It was really enjoyable to play.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:56 pm

Has anyone done a good motion control pool/snooker game? I know at least one came out for Wii, but I don't know if it was any good. Chucking the wiimote into a cue holder ought to give a decent representation of playing, especially with motion+.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:02 pm

Virtual pool 3 by a mile.
A proper 'shooting' mechanic where you push the mouse forward), or using your finger on the iPad.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:16 pm

The arcade Pocket Gals with bunny girls that strip off when you beat them and Side Pocket which I own on the Super Famicom with has women who don't strip off when you beat them instead you get a guy in a tinted motorbike Helmet..

I remember playing the Commodore 16 Steve Davis Snooker and Hustler(is that pool) in college Jimmy White I think
Last edited by Shinobi on Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:20 pm

Megamixer wrote:Pocket Gal II DX (Arcade/MAME) - sequel to Pool Gal but with more 'realistic' imagery...)

Side Pocket (Mega Drive) - Plays great and has amazing, super cool music.y[/i].
You just reminded me of Poker Ladies on mame.. I remember visiting my friend as he gave me the key to his flat and walked him on him playing poker Ladies me -"what's that woman doing with that snake" He turned the telly off "oh nothing"
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:50 pm

World Snooker Challenge 2005 (PSP) - don't bother with the 2007 version, it's buggy as hell.
Pro Pool (Game Boy Color) - surprisingly good ball physics but then it is by Blade, they of the aforementioned WSC aceness.
Lunar Pool (NES) - maybe not to everyone's tastes but I like it.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:26 pm

Team17 Arcade Pool On the Amiga was pretty good fun, too.
http://instagram.com/p/vyI4lhuuk5/

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:51 pm

thingonaspring wrote:Team17 Arcade Pool On the Amiga was pretty good fun, too.
http://instagram.com/p/vyI4lhuuk5/

Arcade Pool 2 on PC tops it. Unbelievably addictive game.

I've played most pool/snooker games, the above is easily the best pool game. As for snooker , Jimmy White on the 'miggy has never been bettered.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:35 am

Steve Davis Snooker. What's the best version then and was it a hit back in the day? Was it banned or anything? I have no real knowledge about it but I want that to change.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:56 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Has anyone done a good motion control pool/snooker game? I know at least one came out for Wii, but I don't know if it was any good. Chucking the wiimote into a cue holder ought to give a decent representation of playing, especially with motion+.
I have Pool Party, it's ok but not great. I know there are quite a few others though, so they might be better.

I love pool and snooker games, personal favourite for nostalgic reasons has to be Side Pocket on the Mega Drive. I had so much fun playing that back in the day. It has great graphics and sound, the excellent trickshot mode and stills that look like suspiciously like they were taken from a certain Tom Cruise movie! The Side Pocket game on the Game Boy is also good fun and the two Saturn sequels are also great.

Others I have loved over the years include Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker (Atari ST), Steve Davis Snooker (Spectrum), Trickshot (Atari 2600), 3D Pool (Atari ST) and more recently I discovered Video Hustler for the ColecoVision, a conversion of an old Konami arcade game.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:02 am

koopa42 wrote:Steve Davis Snooker. What's the best version then and was it a hit back in the day? Was it banned or anything? I have no real knowledge about it but I want that to change.
Only played the Speccy one. Good in its day, but very simplistic and dated now. Things have moved on, so it would be hard to recommend for anything other than nostalgia.

You can play it using the online emulator at WoS
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0004896
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:07 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
koopa42 wrote:Steve Davis Snooker. What's the best version then and was it a hit back in the day? Was it banned or anything? I have no real knowledge about it but I want that to change.
Only played the Speccy one. Good in its day, but very simplistic and dated now. Things have moved on, so it would be hard to recommend for anything other than nostalgia.

You can play it using the online emulator at WoS
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0004896
Oddly enough it looks a lot like the pool game that got me thinking about this whole thread (and the Masters of course)