Is there bullying/steamrolling on this forum?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Is there bullying/steamrollering on this forum

Yes, obviously
51%
No, you be trippin'
29%
Andre the Giant
20%

Total votes: 35

aztecca

Re: Is there bullying/steamrolling on this forum?

Post by aztecca » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:01 pm

The Hardest of All Freds wrote:If anyone gets the hump over what are essentially fancy toys, then maybe the internet isn't the place for them
Surely a steamroller is more than a fancy toy.Its a proper bit of machinery. :wink:
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:03 pm

aztecca wrote:
Surely a steamroller is more than a fancy toy.Its a proper bit of machinery. :wink:
Here's another prime example. The wink? The 'joke'? Is it helping? Does it matter if someone laughs or more importantly does it affect the thread in a positive or negative way? I could have just ignored it but then would I have been 'bullying' prinny by pulling him up on his posts?

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:03 pm

Steamroller were and indeed are a great band.

But bullying. Builds character doesn't it? I haven't seen bullying on here but then again, maybe i don't see somethings as bullying as others may. Some peeps are more sensitive than others.
Going Solo...................

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:10 pm

I haven't commented on here in a long time. One reason because I was busy working for an anti bullying charity.

The idea that bullying builds character is awful, no it doesn't research has been proven that the effects of bullying can effect someone's mental health for countless years.
http://www.youtube.com/user/kerr9000
My you tube retro reviews updated roughly monthly
http://kerr9000.blog.co.uk/
My Blog and Podcast

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:13 pm

kerr9000 wrote:I haven't commented on here in a long time. One reason because I was busy working for an anti bullying charity.

The idea that bullying builds character is awful, no it doesn't research has been proven that the effects of bullying can effect someone's mental health for countless years.
A statement I totally agree with, but not relevant to the thread? Only to a post in the thread? Lets leave that at that so the thread doesn't go off on one?

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:14 pm

koopa42 wrote:
aztecca wrote:
Here's another prime example. The wink? The 'joke'? Is it helping? Does it matter if someone laughs or more importantly does it affect the thread in a positive or negative way? I could have just ignored it but then would I have been 'bullying' prinny by pulling him up on his posts?
I hate the wink personally.I posted that as a bit of an ironic joke.I had a little chuckle to myself and posted it.If anyone found it unfunny no matter there was no harm done.

I do find imo that a lot of people who end there posts with a wink are just being sarcastic or having a sly dig.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:17 pm

aztecca wrote:
koopa42 wrote:
aztecca wrote:
I hate the wink personally.I posted that as a bit of an ironic joke.I had a little chuckle to myself and posted it.If anyone found it unfunny no matter there was no harm done.

I do find imo that a lot of people who end there posts with a wink are just being sarcastic or having a sly dig.
This is an odd one, I have only found it on this forum that you dare not use a wink BECAUSE it seems solely for trying to be all uppity. I used to use the wink on here but now don't bother.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:19 pm

I can't speak for how things are here these days but I always used to feel that users weren't treated equally :|

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:25 pm

I don't think winks were much of a problem to be honest.

I feel that a lot of people got sick of them due to one poster in particular excessively overusing them.

( now heres a dilema, do I name the poster and be accused of bullying, or just leave it as it is and have people accuse me of implying who it is and not having balls to name said person )

The intracies of forum etiquette, A puzzzle indeed.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:29 pm

It's a fine line Rod LOL and exactly the sort of thing I wanted people thinking about. Personally? I've tried to limit any outright naming in my posts in case there are eyes lurking waiting to pounce and get the thread closed. I'd suggest post as you always would because it will show how these threads play out properly. As the OP and as I have genuine interest in the threads I do have to posts slightly differently though.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:44 pm

tbh, i don't really notice bullying, but then stuff like that goes over my head unless its sooo blatant. If anyone has a dig at me they'll have to make it pretty obvious, but then i generally 'get on' with most folks on here. Maybe that's just my nature to go through life being oblivious. I dunno.

Obviously there's arguments but given the way consoles/computers have always polarised opinions, i'd expect nothing less. I have, however noticed an overuse of winks lately, most being used as an attempt to impart sarcasm to a post. I've always been a fan of 'the wink' but will only use it now in the most appropriate of places.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:03 pm

I haven't noticed any bullying as such but there has been trolling and deliberate derailing of threads which has really annoyed me.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:09 pm

Couldn't resist it

"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:09 pm

I don't really see bullying here, but I do see a lot of grown men who bicker like children and really should know better. I also see people deliberatly baiting others and derailing threads which I will be sorting out in the coming weeks.

I think since dcrip and lost dragon were booted out things have got slightly better. People like halcyon daze and koops like winding kieran up because he falls for it every time and crusto, antiriad and clarance put in sly digs occassionally, but I'd argue I've been guilty of this in the past as well.

I guess the problem comes when people like kieran and dcrip would jump into any thread to proclaim the superiority of their favoured consoles. Luckily that doesn't really seem to be the case any more.

Of course you could argue that koops has created this thread as nothing more than a way to have a dig at whoever got him banned, but I don't really care.

Oh and yes I've named some names, so feel free to add your own. I'm sure there are others but usually, when there are shenanigans going on on the forum, these are the ones that I personally tend to remember.

Having said that I think it's actually been okay here recently.
If I do see constant hounding, which I believe to be done on purpose I will boot you off this forum so fast it will make your head spin.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:12 pm

Thats a point.

I havent would laird up in ages.

OFF TO THE IRC!!