Is there bullying/steamrolling on this forum?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Is there bullying/steamrollering on this forum

Yes, obviously
51%
No, you be trippin'
29%
Andre the Giant
20%

Total votes: 35

koopa42

Re: Is there bullying/steamrolling on this forum?

Post by koopa42 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:27 am

Perhaps reading the original post rather than wandering in at the end would have led you to reading:
koopa42 wrote: This was meant to be in off topic, please move mods, my bad.
as for big whoop? you believe that people should be able to just do as they please then?

Misery

Post by Misery » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:34 am

In answer to the OP: Yeah, I know full bloody well there's bullying on this forum. I dont know what "steamrolling" is. I've not heard that term before. But bullying? You betcha.

I spent most of my school years under the constant pressure of bullies. And I watched others get bullied as well. It was.... pretty bad. And it just kept going. And going. Eventually, I put a stop to the main ones responsible, but it took a long time before I reached that point, so this lasted for... many years, and naturally there were still plenty more bullies left there. And of course, the worst part: Nobody did anything about it. And I dont mean the ones that were being tormented. No, reports were often made. But the ones supposedly in charge, they didnt exactly do a whole lot.

So I know what bullying looks like. I know it too well. Do I think we have bullies on the level of those asshats in this place? No, of course not. But do I still think there are some? Oh yes. I came to quickly recognize which members fit that category, and more than a few times, I have clashed with them. Eventually I blocked the #1 offender (and a few others, but not many, I dont like having to use that), and mostly just ignored the others (yet still observed the idiocy happen), and a couple of them just randomly vanished (I have no idea at all if they got blocked or just left) but the main point is that it DOESNT stop. And so far, not very much is done about it, even though, in most cases, it's extremely obvious when it happens. And no, "grow a thicker skin" isnt a valid response to any of this. That one's more of a way of avoiding the issue than anything else. And frankly, it can be insulting in it's own right. You cant dictate what kind of personality someone has, or how they perceive things... to believe otherwise is bloody stupid, and to try is condescending. And some people are more vulnerable than others, simple as that. Simply because it happens online doesnt change anything. It's still happening, wether in person, or long range, it doesnt matter as it's the same thing.

Fortunately, this forum has a much smaller number of this type of individual than most other forums. For a gaming forum, that's an accomplishment. But that still doesnt mean it isnt there, and still doesnt mean it isnt an issue. It's one reason why I dont post here as often as I used to, as eventually, I started to tire of it, and my negativity and fiery nature means that if I'm exposed to too much of this crap, eventually I'll snap (again), which never helps.

Obviously bullying happens on other forums, but it bugs me the most on THIS one, because this really IS the most "mature" one I'm aware of right now.

As for it being in this section of the forums: Fine by me. This might be the place where the topic is most likely to get noticed.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:39 am

koopa42 wrote:Perhaps reading the original post rather than wandering in at the end would have led you to reading:
koopa42 wrote: This was meant to be in off topic, please move mods, my bad.
as for big whoop? you believe that people should be able to just do as they please then?
Yeah, I kinda skim read the thread my bad. I sort of zoned out reading the numerous threads about how hard done by you've been or whatever, profuse apologies for that.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:40 am

the_hawk wrote:
Yeah, I kinda skim read the thread my bad. I sort of zoned out reading the numerous threads about how hard done by you've been or whatever, profuse apologies for that.
A passive aggressive or snide comment if ever I have seen one, I don't feel hard done by I feel there are a group of members 'hard done by' to use your words

edit:

Now, is that a post that is report worthy? I don't feel offended but I could see why some might. Or is the veiled point veiled enough for it to be unreportable? or at least be ignored if reported.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:48 am

koopa42 wrote:
the_hawk wrote:
A passive aggressive or snide comment if ever I have seen one,

Aye, fair enough. It probably was a bit snide I take it back.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:58 am

the_hawk wrote:
koopa42 wrote:
the_hawk wrote:
A passive aggressive or snide comment if ever I have seen one,

Aye, fair enough. It probably was a bit snide I take it back.
This is what I'm trying to point out ..... should you take it back? Should I report it? Should you not have posted it in the first place? all valid and reasonable options. That said, if you felt it was a valid post you should always post it? shouldn't you? I know that's how I would like forums to be ..... but then would I be feeding into the very thing we are discussing?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:00 am

Koops if you genuinely feel so hard done and that your thread has been derailed (an irony in itself considering how many you've personally help derail in the past) then why not go back to your own forum?
Initially I wanted to think that you'd created this post just to get people talking on the forum about unpleasant things that have affected people, but your recent posts make it more and more obvious that you're trying to play the victim card, which is what a great many members do after they've received again. This is itself is rather funny considering the great lengths you'd go to to censored off the Retro Gamer forum in the past and generally antagonise other members (and yes, I'm aware you're not the only one).
I'm going to lock this thread now because it is getting derailed and it's becoming more and more obvious why it was originally made. I'll be locking your other one after lunch, so make sure you get your aggrieved comments in while you can.