Is there bullying/steamrolling on this forum?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Is there bullying/steamrollering on this forum

Yes, obviously
51%
No, you be trippin'
29%
Andre the Giant
20%

Total votes: 35

Antiriad2097

Re: Is there bullying/steamrolling on this forum?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:44 am

I went off topic, but only in response to aprevious off topic post, with a fact I found interesting and thought others might find interesting too, given the nature of the forum and its visitors.

I posted when the thought occured to me. Whether you were here or not is incidental. Its not breaking any rules afaik, just normal conversation following previous discussion.

I can't help but think you're trying to exert a level of control over a public thread that really isn't possible.

I'm not going to pretend I'm not guilty of routinely going off topic. I do. I can't say I generally do it with any malice, except for occassionally winding up The Laird when he has an opposing view. Sometimes its hard to let those go.

I don't think youve proved anything except that threads can and do go off topic.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:42 am

So, much like Richard Keys, it's banter when it suits some people and 'tin foil conspiracy hat' for others? Again, I'm just pointing out what has happened and why a believe it has happened (the derailment of, and blatant cases of breaking AUP in this very thread).

I believe that had it been certain other members derailing any other thread? the thread would have a) been put back on track and b)the offending posts have been reported and c) certainly a warning or a ban ...... again only on certain members. Which it turn leads back to the original reasoning for me to put up the thread doesn't it?

I hardly think proving a point (again which I personally believe this has) equates to being a 'tin foil conspiracy hat' type of deal.

I have also said that I don't feel it's personal as such (hence no names), I believe that there is a simple case of one rule for one and one rule for another on this forum and it is linked in directly with bullying. In fact, I guess you could argue that if I was bound by the other set of rules (or lack of) that some members are allowed to abide (or not) by, I may never have posted about it as I wouldn't see there being a problem at all, it's given me more food for thought TBH. What if wasn't bound by certain rules of this forum? An interesting proposal.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:52 am

Have you reported the offending posts? No report = mods assuming everyone is being grown up and not getting upset by anything here, since none of it is (imo) offensive or of significant detriment to the thread.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ulala

Post by ulala » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:03 am

I rarely post here, and my enjoyment of the forum has waned massively - purely due to steamrollering/ bullying.

I know it takes all sorts, and variety is the spice of life etc, but its usually the same handfull of antagonists.

On the forum everyone should be equal, and every ones opinion should get a fair crack of the whip. It matters not if someone is a developer from the 80s, or is a self-acclaimed world authority on a system, or someone crows about having a website or having had an article published in the games media.

Its all too predictable.

Casual gamer "A" posts their opinion on a game or system, and you can literally could the minutes down until a certain poster "B" helpfully "corrects" their opinion - even if they actually have nothing to say!

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:06 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Have you reported the offending posts? No report = mods assuming everyone is being grown up and not getting upset by anything here, since none of it is (imo) offensive or of significant detriment to the thread.
No, definitely not. I put as much in the threads too, it didn't seem it would help either the thread itself or what I was trying to say.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:22 am

Fair enough. It does seem contradictory though. You complain that had it been another thread or poster, things would have been reported. Yet you don't report posts that are clearly bothering you.

Maybe if you reported them, they'd be acted on, and you wouldn't feel things were so unfair?

I can understand you don't want to report posts needlessly, but can't see the point in then claiming there's a double standard with that.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:24 am

If someone just jumped into a thread to attack you (Koops) then please report it. But if you dont report it you cant expect mods to see it.

I saw the anti piracy thread and posted in it, then didnt post/view it again. I didnt expect to see all the anger/i'll beat you up/i dislike you type stuff which was in that thread later. Think everyone else is sick and tired of it

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:32 am

It's just not my game of cricket I'm afraid (and maybe that's the problem all along?). I'm not a whiny little man child (just an accurate description IMO of reporting members in general on any forum) and even if I were? I don't believe for a second that a single report (especially by me) would be anything other than laughed out of moderating court.

If I wanted to make an impact? I'd have to report posts AND go skulking about asking other members to report too, maybe use extra accounts as well ...... all that is not me at all, I don't even like using the PM system TBH, I think if you can post something on a forum? You should talk about it (and any of its problems) on said forum. It's the reason I put up (what I thought) were legit posts.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:44 am

Koopa42 wrote:skulking about asking other members to report
I don't think this happens. As spambuster, I can see reports, its usually the same one or two people who do it and its very unusual for a post to be reported by more than one person. Usually the reporters are reporting posts that have been directly aimed at them, or just plain old spam. There's not nearly as much post reporting as you think there is.

Even The Laird has eased off lately.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:49 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
I don't think this happens. As spambuster, I can see reports, its usually the same one or two people who do it and its very unusual for a post to be reported by more than one person. Usually the reporters are reporting posts that have been directly aimed at them, or just plain old spam. There's not nearly as much post reporting as you think there is.

So not to open a can of worms, are some reports taken more seriously than others then? or less seriously depending on the reporter?

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:58 am

Well like so,eone said, if you do something and people report it and you get told to stop doing it, then people do it to you but you don't like reporting it, then of course it looks one sided.

I think thats more down to the individuals than the mods.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:01 am

RodimusPrime wrote:Well like so,eone said, if you do something and people report it and you get told to stop doing it, then people do it to you but you don't like reporting it, then of course it looks one sided.

I think thats more down to the individuals than the mods.
Again, no worms meant but members have been banned with zero warning or explanation for that matter. Sure, they could in theory check the forum whilst banned but should they have to do that, to check a thread, for why they've been banned, without warning?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:02 am

koopa42 wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:

So not to open a can of worms, are some reports taken more seriously than others then? or less seriously depending on the reporter?
No.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:10 am

It's quite possible I may have assisted in the derailment of this thread, but y'know, big whoop.

For being so concerned with forum etiquette & AUPs, what the hell is this thread doing in the "It's all about the games" section?
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:15 am

the_hawk wrote:It's quite possible I may have assisted in the derailment of this thread, but y'know, big whoop.

For being so concerned with forum etiquette & AUPs, what the hell is this thread doing in the "It's all about the games" section?
I can delete posts but i dont think any of the mods can move threads !