Is there bullying/steamrolling on this forum?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Is there bullying/steamrollering on this forum

Yes, obviously
51%
No, you be trippin'
29%
Andre the Giant
20%

Total votes: 35

RodimusPrime

Re: Is there bullying/steamrolling on this forum?

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:14 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I don't really see bullying here, but I do see a lot of grown men who bicker like children and really should know better. I also see people deliberatly baiting others and derailing threads which I will be sorting out in the coming weeks.

I think since dcrip and lost dragon were booted out things have got slightly better. People like halcyon daze and koops like winding kieran up because he falls for it every time and crusto, antiriad and clarance put in sly digs occassionally, but I'd argue I've been guilty of this in the past as well.

I guess the problem comes when people like kieran and dcrip would jump into any thread to proclaim the superiority of their favoured consoles. Luckily that doesn't really seem to be the case any more.

Of course you could argue that koops has created this thread as nothing more than a way to have a dig at whoever got him banned, but I don't really care.

Oh and yes I've named some names, so feel free to add your own. I'm sure there are others but usually, when there are shenanigans going on on the forum, these are the ones that I personally tend to remember.

Having said that I think it's actually been okay here recently.
If I do see constant hounding, which I believe to be done on purpose I will boot you off this forum so fast it will make your head spin.
I think sometimes you can develop a " nemesis " on a forum where it gets to the point you will just jump into any thread and disagree with them, well, just because you can.

I have been accused of having issues with Kieran in the past as well, and we still have the occasional flare up. What I do try to do though is ( hopefully Keiran would back me up on this ) is despite issues with other posters, I will still put that to one side if they make a valid point and agree with them.

I will completely and utterly disagree with someone in one thread with a passion, but will then back them up in another if they make good points or says something I totally agree with.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:17 pm

I always saw the wink as a 'peace' symbol, that someone was showing that they were joking or at worst jokey-sarcastic, but not meant to offend.

The problem is that on an internet forum not everyone is great at getting their point across as they mean it to, so sometimes post can seem more aggressive/argumentative than they really are. Also posts can be misinterpreted, particularly if a forum member feels that another has 'got it in for them'.

There are times in the past that I have made a comment or a statement that has been shot down by others, but that's the way of life. Sometimes I realise that my post was pretty dumb, other times I just think that I see things differently. I would never take offense.

As for jokey, seemingly irrelevant posts in threads; well I've done a few myself where I thought it was humorous but still in context with what was being discussed. I like to see humour in threads. There are times when I see posts which seem to be irrelevant/trolling (I hate that word), but usually I figure that I don't 'get' it, or I simply ignore it. Unless someone persistently does this (which I don't see) then I have no issue.

I don't want a forum where we all agree with each other all of the time; I want discussion, points of view and some humour. On the whole I think we've got that, and also some really nice, generous, interesting and humorous forum members.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:21 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I

Of course you could argue that koops has created this thread as nothing more than a way to have a dig at whoever got him banned, but I don't really care.
I'm sorry you feel that way but that fact is that had I wanted to have a dig? I would have posted in my usual 'colourful' style and taken another ban or permaban, I have said many many times I don't care if I get banned from this forum. That said? I would think it's obvious that I am trying to move in a different direction with these posts, a positive one but in the spirit of the topic? Is it bullying suggesting that this is a dig at anyone? when in fact it's a point raised about real issues on the forum? Check the poll results, it's not as clear cut as you'd like to believe.

You also point out that you don't care in the same sentence saying that I am having a dig? So why even post the sentence? Please, feel free to point out exactly where this 'dig' is.

edit:

Also, I note that names have been brought into the thread? why? I'm sure it doesn't alter the thread itself.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:22 pm

the number of times i have disagreed with someone massively over something and thought either 'if i go to an event and they are introduced to me they will punch me' or 'i've made an enemy there' then i ask a question, or need help or make a point about something and they are really nice and helpful etc, its surprising as i am used to much cliquier places.

oh and trouble causers, that flatapex, he's awful, how you lot put up with him i'll never know :lol:

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:24 pm

I said you could argue it. I didn't say you did, and personally i dont think you are, but I know that some will, hence why I said it.
Oh and everyone clearly wants to name names, so I thought i'd get the ball rolling.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:26 pm

edit: clever political reference
Do you feel clever now sscott? I bet you do!
Last edited by sscott on Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:26 pm

flatapex wrote:the number of times i have disagreed with someone massively over something and thought either 'if i go to an event and they are introduced to me they will punch me' or 'i've made an enemy there' then i ask a question, or need help or make a point about something and they are really nice and helpful etc, its surprising as i am used to much cliquier places.

oh and trouble causers, that flatapex, he's awful, how you lot put up with him i'll never know :lol:

That is something I have noticed on here. people will have heated discussions with someone, but will offer genuine advice at a later date.

Arguing and disagreeing is fine IMO, its when that develops into a grudge and you start looking for any excuse to argue with someone is when it becomes a problem.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:28 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I said you could argue it. I didn't say you did, and personally i dont think you are, but I know that some will, hence why I said it.
Oh and everyone clearly wants to name names, so I thought i'd get the ball rolling.

Why not. Personally, I would be more than willing to listen to anybody who thinks there are things that I constanlty do that annoys people

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:28 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I said you could argue it. I didn't say you did, and personally i dont think you are, but I know that some will, hence why I said it.
I'd argue that I didn't want the names, it detracts from the thread IMO and I certainly didn't read anyone calling out for them.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:30 pm

That's what I was thinking. Say everyone turns around and says. Hey darran, stop derailing threads and acting like a tw@t, I'd clearly know that it is actually me that was being a complete and utter d1ck and would act accordingly. That's just me though.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:32 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:That's what I was thinking. Say everyone turns around and says. Hey darran, stop derailing threads and acting like a tw@t, I'd clearly know that it is actually me that was being a complete and utter d1ck and would act accordingly. That's just me though.
Swear filter? Seriously? Come on now, that's not the way to do things.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:33 pm

RodimusPrime wrote: I have been accused of having issues with Kieran in the past as well, and we still have the occasional flare up. What I do try to do though is ( hopefully Keiran would back me up on this ) is despite issues with other posters, I will still put that to one side if they make a valid point and agree with them.

I will completely and utterly disagree with someone in one thread with a passion, but will then back them up in another if they make good points or says something I totally agree with.

Yep, we have issues in the past, many of them but I know that with you there is no malice, it's just a difference of opinion, I respect that. But you have also backed me up in plenty of threads too, I can never accuse you of not being fair.

Oh and it's Kieren, will everyone stop spelling my name wrong, don't make me report you! :mrgreen:

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:35 pm

The Laird wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote: I have been accused of having issues with Kieran in the past as well, and we still have the occasional flare up. What I do try to do though is ( hopefully Keiran would back me up on this ) is despite issues with other posters, I will still put that to one side if they make a valid point and agree with them.

Yep, we have issues in the past, many of them but I know that with you there is no malice, it's just a difference of opinion, I respect that. But you have also backed me up in plenty of threads too, I can never accuse you of not being fair.

Oh and it's Kieren, will everyone stop spelling my name wrong, don't make me report you! :mrgreen:
Okey okey Dave

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:35 pm

Maybe it's you who are spelling their name wrong :lol:

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:35 pm

The Laird wrote:

Ha, I was actually trying to remember the correct spelling and in the end just went with the way darren spelt it.