Is there bullying/steamrolling on this forum?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Is there bullying/steamrollering on this forum

Yes, obviously
51%
No, you be trippin'
29%
Andre the Giant
20%

Total votes: 35

clarance

Re: Is there bullying/steamrolling on this forum?

Post by clarance » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:23 pm

I think that we should start naming names here instead of hiding behind PMs, wink smilies and sly passive aggressive one sentence posts. Of course we can't because then the report button will get a bashing and the thread will be toast, but there seems to be a lot implied in posts that is never actually said.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:26 pm

clarance wrote:Lets see how long this thread lasts :)
How do you mean? Derailing? Bullying? Mods stepping in? Do you think this is an inapproriate thread? or do you just think some members will think so and those members in conjunction with their intimate knowledge of the moderating system will have the thread closed?

clarance

Post by clarance » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:35 pm

koopa42 wrote:
How do you mean? Derailing? Bullying? Mods stepping in? Do you think this is an inapproriate thread? or do you just think some members will think so and those members in conjunction with their intimate knowledge of the moderating system will have the thread closed?
I think this is a great thread, I've been wanting to make one along the same lines for quite a while now, but I just know the reaction would be negative, those sensitive types would get upset and the thread would be closed - and is it worth the hassle? - we've probably broken forum rules already.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:43 pm

clarance wrote: we've probably broken forum rules already.
Now this is VERY important, if we have? just why have we? and who is we? Me being the OP? or just the posts deemed offensive/rule breaking? OR is it EVERYONE who responded in the thread? OR everyone who even voted? Or just those who are deemed not to be conforming to any unseen/unwritten code of this forum?

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:48 pm

koopa42 wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Streamrollering?

So in a legit thread an attempt at humour? or genuine misunderstanding of the OP? Do explain.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:52 pm

Dprinny, do you think the posts you have made in this thread are just to cause trouble? maybe start a fire which eventually will burn the thread out? Do you think the posts are in anyway linked to what the thread is about? I mean, I'm sure you can/will say that you genuinely didn't understand about steamrollering but surely it would have been better to just ask than just post (what I assume was meant to be) a comedy gif? I certainly won't report either of them but would I have the right to do so? If I believed they were nothing but flame bait?

Does the second gif explain anything? or am I missing it?

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:58 pm

clarance

Post by clarance » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:59 pm

koopa42 wrote:
clarance wrote: we've probably broken forum rules already.
Now this is VERY important, if we have? just why have we? and who is we? Me being the OP? or just the posts deemed offensive/rule breaking? OR is it EVERYONE who responded in the thread? OR everyone who even voted? Or just those who are deemed not to be conforming to any unseen/unwritten code of this forum?

'We' is everyone posting in the thread - and the point I'm making, is that the rules are very loose and open to interpretation. If someone wants any thread shut down they can usually find something in the AUP that has been broken, from a certain point of view.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:02 pm

clarance wrote:
'We' is everyone posting in the thread - and the point I'm making, is that the rules are very loose and open to interpretation. If someone wants any thread shut down they can usually find something in the AUP that has been broken, from a certain point of view.
My post wasn't at you, it was more a post for the sake of having in writing (on the actual forum) that there should be reasoning IF this all explodes (which I've yet to see any reason for it to). Do you think I should start screen grabbing the thread then? I want to be able to keep a track of everything if stuff gets deleted modified without explanation then compare it to the ashes should it all start to burn. That way we (or others) could ask for definitive reasons why stuff has happened?

@Dprinny - I still don't really know what you are doing, I'm pretty sure it's a prime example of something I could report but won't because I'm not that bothered, I will however just ignore any posts that don't really have any relevance to my threads, which is all of them so far.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:10 pm

DPrinny wrote:Image
Whats up with the gifs prinny.I genui ly would like to know are they some sort of humour i dont get ?

Serious question.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

the1980gamer

Post by the1980gamer » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:21 pm

I just wanted to add to my earlier post that some of the nicest most intelligent people I've ever "met" are on forums such as this one.
If there is obvious bullying going on then those people should be banned/ignored so that the rest of us can enjoy conversing with others that share our love for gaming, which is what this forum is about.
check out my youtube channel at, http://www.youtube.com/user/the1980gamer

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:44 pm

Yes there is, there always is when there are people with strong opinions. Just defending your point of view a little aggressively can seem like bullying to others.

Some people are over sensitive, and cry about things being done to them, yet will have selective memory when people mention they have done the same in the past.

Its mostly when one person is being attacked by several other people who all share an opposite view that feels like they are being bullied, yet that same person has no problem joining in attacking someone else when has a different view.

I will be honest, I have probably been on both ends, as have most of us. Is it bullying though.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:49 pm

koopa42 wrote:
I don't think its an inapropriate thread at all. After all don't most experts agree its best to talk about things rather than bottle it all up.Personally I would happily have an " air your greivances " thread in the off topic section . discuss any problems with other forum members in there and avoid it derailing other threads.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:57 pm

If anyone gets the hump over what are essentially fancy toys, then maybe the internet isn't the place for them
Going Solo...................

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:00 pm

The Hardest of All Freds wrote:If anyone gets the hump over what are essentially fancy toys, then maybe the internet isn't the place for them
This is of course true (for some) but has been for about 10 years