Is there bullying/steamrolling on this forum?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Is there bullying/steamrollering on this forum

Yes, obviously
51%
No, you be trippin'
29%
Andre the Giant
20%

Total votes: 35

koopa42

Is there bullying/steamrolling on this forum?

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:05 pm

Much like my other thread, this is a legitimate thread but I can't link it in with the other directly because it's a different issue (or is it?). Are certain members bullied/steamrolled on this forum? and if they are? are the bully/steamroller posters handled correctly (and equally for that matter) by the forum and it's moderators?

Now in my opinion? Members have been banned for standing up to what (again IMO) is bullying/steamrolling on the forum. As I am not a bully (again IMO) I'd be interested in members thoughts. Is a bully of bullies as bad as the original bully? I don't think so but that's just my opinion.

I personally think there has been some blatant steamroller/bully stuff in the Piracy thread and feel I can't post in that thread through fear of getting in trouble.

Discuss

edit:

This was meant to be in off topic, please move mods, my bad.

Analog

Re: Is there bullying/steamrolling on this forum?

Post by Analog » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:12 pm

never seen it personally, but then I haven't been here as long as some folk. seen a lot of banter style back and forth and I generally think most people give as good as they get .anything which might even possibly be considered bullying is nowhere on the same scale as what I would consider to be out of order and what I have seen on other forums. I do respect that each forums have their own boundaries though and when you enter a forum you enter under their rules.

JoeNTMY

Post by JoeNTMY » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:23 pm

Analog wrote:never seen it personally, but then I haven't been here as long as some folk. seen a lot of banter style back and forth and I generally think most people give as good as they get .anything which might even possibly be considered bullying is nowhere on the same scale as what I would consider to be out of order and what I have seen on other forums. I do respect that each forums have their own boundaries though and when you enter a forum you enter under their rules.
Agree with this.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:26 pm

yep. Its happened to me on two threads now and i've seen it happen to others people also.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:30 pm

As far as the piracy thread goes then I think any of the disagreements or words spoken in the now deleted posts were pretty much the users giving as good as they got i.e. nobody was getting stomped on without putting up an equal fight.

I think for actual steam-rollering you need to go back a few years or so ago when the likes of DCRIP would make some threads just pointless to post in if you had a certain viewpoint. There are some feisty users on here for sure but nobody currently at that guy's level. Just look back at that stickied (and now locked) "trolling" thread in the 'It's all about the games' section for what it was like not long ago.

What I think there is on this forum is a lot of threads about piracy :P
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:38 pm

I can think of one bully boy on here but apart from that not a huge amount. I'm not sure what gman is referring to in his example. Just goes to show that people have different perceptions of what constitutes bullying behaviour.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:39 pm

Nemesis wrote:people have different perceptions of what constitutes bullying behaviour.
clearly
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:41 pm

Streamrollering?

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:43 pm

DPrinny wrote:Streamrollering?

Must admit I don't know that one either!
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:46 pm

One things for sure there are

deffo people with no sense of humour who cant take a joke.

People who have a view and opinion on things and refuse to listen to or take on board another persons opinion without insults etc.And they come across as know it alls.

People who act like children and run to the teacher/mod/report button at the slightest thing.

I would vote for yes to the bullying/steamrolling.

But it takes all sorts to make the world go round and would be pretty cack if we all agreed on everything.
Last edited by aztecca on Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:48 pm

aztecca wrote: People who have a view and opinion on things and refuse to listen to or take on board another persons opinion without insults etc.And they come across as know it alls.
Yes, this 100%. Probably the most common thing you see on this forum.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:02 pm

I would say that steamrolling is when you have an individual with a certain opinion and then other individuals don't like that opinion or that the 1st individual has and can defend that opinion. So they snipe and snide and bully until the person with the 1st opinon can't be bothered anymore. Steamrolling.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:05 pm

DPrinny wrote:Streamrollering?

So in a legit thread an attempt at humour? or genuine misunderstanding of the OP? Do explain.

clarance

Post by clarance » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:16 pm

Lets see how long this thread lasts :) - the trouble seems to be that everyone seems to feel that everyone else is at it :)

Obviously it's much harder to get your point over with a forum post as it would be person to person, and some posters seem to have difficulty with the concept of debate without feeling that they are being personally insulted. They then counter the perceived insult with insults of their own, and then so it goes....
Death may be your Santa Claus.

the1980gamer

Post by the1980gamer » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:17 pm

To be honest, in my time on the forum I've seen quite a lot of banter back and forth but it mostly seems a bit of fun between those that know each other.

I have noticed some very opinionated people but that's just life, everyone has their own views on things and should just leave people be.

I've never encountered it myself and found most to be very friendly.
However you will always have your fair share of idiots wherever you go and there is always some keyboard warrior out to cause trouble because they have nothing better to do with their life, I just treat them like any other Internet troll and ignore them.

I would have thought most of us on here where old enough to know better. :D
check out my youtube channel at, http://www.youtube.com/user/the1980gamer