Can you justify using pirated software.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Are you able to justify using pirated software and if so how?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:08 am

1. YES
47%
2. NO
47%
3. It's too deep for me. I can't make a decision
7%

Total votes: 30

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Can you justify using pirated software.

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:48 pm

Retro is interesting.
You can make the argument that downloading and playing roms of games is fine, because you'd otherwise be buying secondhand games that the original owner isn't receiving money for anyway.

Of course, when you can buy those games in digital form then it's wrong to download them. People who say things like £5 is too much for a snes vc are just trying to justify it to themselves.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:06 pm

£5 is too much for some if the pap they rerelease! Some of it is worth that though....
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:11 pm

Well it's relevant, there's a handful of snes games on vc that arent worth that, but at least a 100 that are. Anyone who suggests classics like pilotwing, super mario world and earthbound aren't worth the price of a pint are insane.

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:12 pm

What about the trend of making people pay for the same content on different formats? Isn't it a little unscrupulous to sell the same Mario games to the same people 5, 6 or 7 times?

How many times do I have to buy Ocarina of Time?

Why did Sony discontinue the emulated version of the PS2 when they released the PS3? Why are neither the PS4 or XB1 backward compatible? So they can sell those same games to us again and again and again. Is that ok? Doesn't that kind of behaviour encourage piracy?

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:16 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Well it's relevant, there's a handful of snes games on vc that arent worth that, but at least a 100 that are. Anyone who suggests classics like pilotwing, super mario world and earthbound aren't worth the price of a pint are insane.
But what if you already own these games but rather play them on an emulator with filters and other enhancements? :wink:

In my case, I can't really be assed to get the old console systems out of the dusty boxes and rather enjoy the benefits of emulation.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:18 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Well it's relevant, there's a handful of snes games on vc that arent worth that, but at least a 100 that are. Anyone who suggests classics like pilotwing, super mario world and earthbound aren't worth the price of a pint are insane.
But what if you already own these games but rather play them on an emulator with filters and other enhancements? :wink:

In my case, I can't really be assed to get the old console systems out of the dusty boxes and rather enjoy the benefits of emulation.
Filters are definitely not an enhancement.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:19 pm

The Laird wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:

Matter of taste. I would not want to play some games without it, e.g. the early 3-D games in particular. :wink:

5th gen 3-D games also tend to look way too pixelated and/or blurry for my taste.

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:25 pm

The Laird wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:

Why?

Eat your nans pants

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:25 pm

Gigifusc wrote:What about the trend of making people pay for the same content on different formats? Isn't it a little unscrupulous to sell the same Mario games to the same people 5, 6 or 7 times?

Why did Sony discontinue the emulated version of the PS2 when they released the PS3? Why are neither the PS4 or XB1 backward compatible? So they can sell those same games to us again and again and again. Is that ok? Doesn't that kind of behaviour encourage piracy?
No one is making you buy multiple copies though the choice is simply being made available. Yes I agree that discontinue one version so they can sell another is dodgy, but if you've got the orignal then what does it matter?

As for filters, i can't think of many offhand where they make games actually look better. Texture packs certainly and you should be able to add scanlines at will, but I don't care for filters, they look censored on most xbla games.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:27 pm

crusto wrote:
The Laird wrote: Filters are definitely not an enhancement.
Why?
Because I would rather games look like they are supposed to look.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:29 pm

The Laird wrote:
crusto wrote:
Why?
See this is interesting as well. If a filter made a game look better i'd go with the better version, but I can't think of any examples where a filter improves the look off hand.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:32 pm

Some Nintendo fans might disagree but I think Nintendo could consider putting their old NES, SNES, N64, GBC, GBA games on Steam and Android. I think there's lots of people who have Steam installed on their PC or running Android on their portable and would be willing to buy these old games for them. It's not like they'd be making a loss on hardware sales since those old systems are discontinued anyway. It would also decrease ROM downloading since these games would be legally available on these platforms.

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:32 pm

Gigifusc wrote:What about the trend of making people pay for the same content on different formats? Isn't it a little unscrupulous to sell the same Mario games to the same people 5, 6 or 7 times?

You make some good points there. I'm all for re-releases, however you give some companies an inch and they take a yard, give a yard and they take a mile... You can see why some people do what they do but that doesn't make it right. Personally if I smell a rat I just choose not to buy, but I don't pirate either.

Eat your nans pants

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:38 pm

The Laird wrote:
crusto wrote:
Why?
So just a personal preference then, fair enough.

Eat your nans pants

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:35 pm

I've got Minecraft on PC, Windows Phone, Xbox360, Android and probably something else too - I've paid for each copy. It's basically the same game. Does that annoy me? Well yes it does when you have to pay the standard price. Discount it and I'd be happy to pay again.
The same goes for retro stuff - if I own something from back in the day (say Paradroid on C64) and it gets released on VC, I don't expect to pay £5 for it. Stick it on there for £1.99 and I'd be a happy chappy.
At the same time, I have the game in a massive rom set of C64 and Amiga games - and I'm happy to have them and use them.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/