Buying a game again if you have the Rom

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Buying a game if you already have the Rom poll

YES I would buy the game Officially
77%
No i already own an illegal copy
13%
Not sure Brian Blessed Beard Andre the Giant
10%

Total votes: 31

sirpigmeat

Re: Buying a game again if you have the Rom

Post by sirpigmeat » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:41 am

Been buying alot of virtual console stuff lately on the wiiu and 3ds that i've already got on pc and android as roms...

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:18 pm

Seems so far from the poll then that owning pirated roms doesnt stop people from then buying the game legally and putting money into the games industry.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:59 pm

aztecca wrote:Seems so far from the poll then that owning pirated roms doesnt stop people from then buying the game legally and putting money into the games industry.
Indeed, seems pretty clear cut at the moment!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:24 pm

I voted "yes". I've only dabbled in MAME as far as roms go (so no other methods of playing retro stuff or modern pirated games etc.) but I have a good list of games in my head that I would buy day one if they got re-released on PSN.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:29 pm

I will always buy retail when I can - even in cases where the ROM images are much easier to get.
Where logic won't work, I will

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:14 pm

Well I do own ever single mame rom and I can legally own two Cadiliac's and Dinosuars and Rodlands, Mame is good as a lot of machines break or are in the hands of collectors.. I just don't see the point of emulating cheap readily available games..

A messiah chipped PS2 with a hard drive I own no copies only play originals, I had a flashed X box but sold it for £10 it was the most pointless console ever terrible emulation, got a case full of copied CDi games but an original CDi and plenty of original games.. And a snes Everdrive but own over 100 hundred boxed Snes/Super Famicom games.. Far superior to the X Box Wii PSP Snes emulators

I don't see the point when people say I'm going buy a Ouya and put every rom on it from the Atari 2600 to the Dreamcast.. Your never going to play them all and the emulation is inferior to the original machine.. Other then Mame and the PC98 I've never used any emulation, your not enjoying games as you have to much to play..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:15 am

Shinobi wrote: A messiah chipped PS2 with a hard drive I own no copies only play originals, I had a flashed X box but sold it for £10 it was the most pointless console ever terrible emulation, got a case full of copied CDi games but an original CDi and plenty of original games.. And a snes Everdrive but own over 100 hundred boxed Snes/Super Famicom games.. Far superior to the X Box Wii PSP Snes emulators

I don't see the point when people say I'm going buy a Ouya and put every rom on it from the Atari 2600 to the Dreamcast.. Your never going to play them all and the emulation is inferior to the original machine.. Other then Mame and the PC98 I've never used any emulation, your not enjoying games as you have to much to play..
I think I may be the only one who ticked "no, I have the rom ILLEGALLY" (and going to hell for eternal damnation).

I get that emulation can sometimes be iffy (although for the most part, its close to perfect for some consoles and games), but what about those of us who have flash cards or everdrives as I mentioned before? You are not at all compromised by using an everdrive, the experience is identical - even if its still technically piracy.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:43 am

aztecca wrote:So just poll i wondered if people would answer as it was mentioned in another thread .

If you had a game ROM downloaded illegally that you had on Mame/Hyperspin/Hacked PSP etc that you never had the rights too.Would you then buy the said game again if it got a release on XBLA,PSN etc.

Cheers
I've voted yes. I've got tons of MAME games but the second an official game is released say on iOS (Double Dragon /R Type) i always buy those as i want to support the dev doing the official conversion etc.

Problem is i play so many 'illegal' MAME games as i cant buy officially licensed ones. Companies have gone bankrupt or changed hands so many times you dont know who owns what. Spoke to a few iOS developers and if they want to do an official version of an old classic its often a nightmare trying to track down who owns what copyright etc. Look at Ultimate, Microsoft actually own their IP now

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:29 am

I've gone for "no" because I wouldn't deliberately go out and buy a game just because I've been using an illegal rom. I've bought official releases of old games that I've got in mame etc but it was more to do with being able to play them on my current system of choice rather than any sense of responsibility or attack of conscience.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:31 am

I do and will buy a legit copy if the game is worth buying and/or available.
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:37 am

Why would I buy a game if I had the rom? I'd play that game to death and laugh all the way to the bank, then lend it to a mate.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:50 am

So you're basically saying Piracy is okay then. Right Koops?

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:51 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:So you're basically saying Piracy is okay then. Right Koops?
Nope, I'm saying what I would do.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:56 am

Fair point, but you're still basically implying you're happy not giving money to publishers for their games.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:00 am

I'd definitely buy a physical copy if I played the ROM & loved it, or if the download had enhancements/extras.

Would I pay to download a copy of the game without any enhancements to the ROM I already had? I'd have to be honest & say It's pretty unlikely.
Last edited by the_hawk on Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue